Emergency: Tell me the torque required

Can anyone tell me how much torque is required to rotate the steering of a car which has no power assist in running and stationary conditions???....
this is an emergency...
I need to know it as soon as possible..The car is a Maruti 800(Old one 96 model)

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    The formula will be your basic torque solution. There is a couple other threads about torque that might help you get started. You will need to know the gear ratio of the steering, weights, friction, etc. What have you figured out so far? Is this for a class?
  • ajitishere
    ajitishere
    gohm
    The formula will be your basic torque solution. There is a couple other threads about torque that might help you get started. You will need to know the gear ratio of the steering, weights, friction, etc. What have you figured out so far? Is this for a class?

I wanna do a project for 4th year BTech where I have to use stepper motors to rotate the steering wheel of a Maruti 800.. If I would have known the torque, it would have been easier for me to find out the torque requirement of the motor I should use..
    If you or anyone can help, please do.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Due to variations inherent in manual steering forces(plus the vehicle), you will need to fabricate a jig that will read using a torque gauge.
  • ajitishere
    ajitishere
    Can you or anyone give just an approximation on how much torque will be required, please?
    I am desperate
    I have no time to use any measuring device to measure and also finance is a problem..
    Kindly help
  • gohm
    gohm
    Unfortunately we cannot as you are missing several key data variables as I mentioned previously. Building a rig to measure the torque can be done very cheaply. If you have no time to use a measuring device to get the basic data then your only option is to contact the manufacture to see if they can supply you with the information.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need to determine the maximum voltage swing for a Transistor circuit I have constructed. I have researched it in books and online but I'm struggling to understand it. The...
Source: Engadget Time to get your science fiction hats on, but leave the fiction visor off this time. The BBC has gotten all hot and bothered today about a newly...
Wow, USB 3.0 is in! Sure, your computer doesn't have a USB 3.0 plug, and there's no such thing as a 12x Blu-ray disc for mass consumption just yet, but...
Download freaks, Thunderbird 3 RC1 is available for download. Head over to :Thunderbird 3.0 Release Candidate 1 and get your copy. Do not forget to post your impressions and reviews.
Engadget did an in depth review of the HD2: HTC HD2 review -- Engadget