Electronics Project Idea: Helmet Reminder

People just keep on forgetting or making excuses to wear a helmet while riding bikes. Why not device a helmet reminder? The helmet reminder would work similar to a car seat belt reminder; but there would be many more tweaks required. I'm guessing a mechanism that stops the motorcycle from turning on if the rider isn't wearing a helmet would be quite cool.

The sensor paired with the bike's ignition system would not turn on the engine until it receives an 'Ok' from a transmitter fitted in the helmet. The transmitter would only operate when the rider wears it (can be done via putting a soft switch at the back of the helmet).

I've not yet thought of the drawbacks of this system; but it's open for discussion. Any electronics engineering students picking this up for their final year submissions?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    We can use some IR transmitter in helmet and one receiver at bike's dashboard can work. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    godfather
    We can use some IR transmitter in helmet and one receiver at bike's dashboard can work. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yep. However, what would be the disadvantages of this system? Are there any, at all? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K
    Yep. However, what would be the disadvantages of this system? Are there any, at all? ๐Ÿ˜€
    I think this one be cheaper solution, There will be one button in helmet when you press that button IR LED glows and on dashboard receiver detects that light and gives signal to monitoring card to turn ON Ignition system. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    1) Put two electrodes with Helmet
    2) Connected to an amplifier.
    3) Amplifier output to microcontroller A in the helmet.
    4) Once you put the Helmet, micro-controller analog input will be high
    5) FM Transmitter connected with the mc is activated.
    6) Ignition system is connected with the output of another microcontroller B.
    7) B takes input from FM rx with frequency matching to that of Helmet Tx.
    8) Unless A's output is High, B's output will be low. So no ignition.

Dear K, thanks for the idea, I am on...................
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @Rupam: IR transmitter and receiver becomes cheaper and effective solution. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Yeah. But then Your Head Needs to be perfectly aligned to the Key assembly. Even that should work.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Rupam Das
    Yeah. But then Your Head Needs to be perfectly aligned to the Key assembly. Even that should work.
    No need to align as you know remote control for TV gives you good range we can use same sensor at dashboard side. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • zulfadhly
    zulfadhly
    what must do if helmet gone
  • zulfadhly
    zulfadhly
    can you give me some link for IR transmitter receiver ,,, im looking for the circuit
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    zulfadhly
    can you give me some link for IR transmitter receiver ,,, im looking for the circuit
    Here is one basic interfacing Circuit
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • Vinayak Chabbi
    Vinayak Chabbi
    I have already done this project, but interfacing FM trans reciever while vehicle moving is very difficult, my bike suddenly stops while riding it even though i have worn the helmet any suggestions?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vinayak Chabbi
    I have already done this project, but interfacing FM trans reciever while vehicle moving is very difficult, my bike suddenly stops while riding it even though i have worn the helmet any suggestions?
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    Good to know that you are working on similar things. Will you please give some more detail about the problem you are facing and also share the circuit you are using right now so I can check out if there is anything related to power supply that is creating this issue or it is just a range issue.
    Also possibly your code which is missing packets and result into stop your Bike.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The JEC Composites Show in Paris is the only trade show that unites the global composite industry: an indication of the industryโ€™s commitment to an international platform where users can...
A 21-year-old Briton hanged himself after a girl removed him as a "friend" on social network Facebook.โ€‹ Simon Foxleyfrom Hyde, Gloucestershire, became interested in the girl after meeting her on...
Hanoi lured US$875.1 million foreign direct investment (FDI) capital in the first half of this year 2011, up 6.7 times compared to the same period last year, according to the...
Modern Machine Shop 2012 is the perfect destination for all those who want to explore and invest in cutting edge technologies and products. The event will act as a single...
how to find transformer efficiency for 11 kv rating.... when it is fully loaded.?????