Electronic Glasses With LEDs & Camera For Partially Sighted People

Oxford University researchers have developed electronic glasses fitted with a grid of LEDs along with a camera to enable partially sighted people see. Dr Stephen Hicks led team of researchers at Oxford’s Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences created the pair of glasses which has LEDs which display the nearby object with the help of cameras. Lot of people lose their sight because of age or some disease. Many of these people can see the contrast, if not the clear picture, and identify the objects. The new technological advancements can now help such people see.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Electronic LED Glasses With Camera

Researchers used a pair of Stereoscopic cameras fitted on the glasses' frame  to capture the visual and depth of the objects. A special software recognizes the objects of interest and glows LEDs accordingly. Nearer object results into brighter LEDs and help the user recognize the objects. In future, the researchers may use colored LEDs to give the user sense of colors. The technology can be improved to make the user identify special locations like phone booth, petrol pumps or traffic signals. The software required for object recognition would be installed on the mobile phones which would give enough processing power to run the software thus eliminating the need of a separate computing system. The glasses will also be fitted with gyroscope so that they can store the visuals. This would be incredibly useful when the user turns his head for a moment and then returns back to original position. The system, thus won't have to recapture the data to produce correct visuals. The bigger challenge lies in making the glasses more user-friendly and produce the feel of real imagery through LEDs.

The Physics department of Oxford University is working on developing a substrate which will be mounted on the glass so that the LEDs can be mounted on the glass without losing the transparency. The trials of electronic glasses is due to begin and hopefully, it will improve the lives of many people

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Over 100 years after the discovery of superconductivity and nearly 25 years after the identification of high-temperature superconductors, a team of scientists and researchers at University of Oxford and the...
Hybrid techniques offer a compact approach in any work and condition. They are more advanced than the as they use different technologies to perform a specific task. A team of...
A survey has placed Koreans as the second most hardworking people in the world and another study has found out that daily grocery shopping is a dreaded task for them....
With the advance of hybrid technologies in automotive market, and looking at the increasing Gasoline prices, General motors is trying to get into CNG business by developing a light weight...
"What is the one ability you wished you possessed?", was the question thrown at me by a friend. "I wish I could read people's minds", I replied. Well, seems like...