electricity from lightning

Hi frenz, am new to this forum, doing 3rd year in eee.
When i was reading about charge formation in clouds, an idea struck my mind. Enormous amount of voltage is produced in clouds which discharges in the form of lightning during rains. Why cant we use this as a source for producing power?
We even have lightning arresters to ground this large voltage. Is it practically feasible to use a large comparator circuit to tame this high voltage and use it as a source to charge few batteries? 😕 Please help.

Replies

• BigOhm
    BigOhm
    No. Almost any attempt to "harvest" the charge prior to a lightning stroke will initiate the stroke, instantly vaporizing all of your equipment and probably you.
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    Yeah definitely.. The voltage produced is in terms of KVs. If anyhow a Transformer is placed then also at secondary tremendous current will flow totally unbearable!!!
  • gokulkannan
    gokulkannan
    hello dude...nice idea ,,but i also thought about this many times,,,but you should remember that we can't predict the lightining all the time ,,,and it will be in fraction of seconds with high power and you should use a step down transformer with high frequency to compete with that lightining speed...or else it whould damage the components.,,it will cost high..so better you can use the solar energy .....
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    exactly, the lightning produces enormous amount of electricity and thus cause harm to the instruments, also the voltage produced by is cannot be predetermined!
  • rasu3045
    rasu3045
    In my point of view when lightning/thunder may produce KV(it is not easy to measure) there are no storage equipment for Ac supply(produce and utilize) storage available only dc supply.Actually we unable decide which place receive the lightning voltage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey CEans, greetings. I created this account few months before but didnt visit the site at all later. Today i came in and decided to visit regularly hereafter :smile: because...
Who can guess what this resembles? Is there a "word" in a general (or special) group, which is normal to an hysteresis loop? Say for instance, I assume hysteresis is...
Language is the medium of theory; although we "react" unconsciously to a lot of "theoretical" information, most of it is discarded (from a short-term store). Conjecture: we filter the majority...
IMAGE PROCESSING PROJECT This semester project requires that you implement and test an image filtering approach described in a given academic research conference paper. The implementation is supposed to be...
Friends,i am from india,doing Electronic and comunication engineering 2nd year in VRS college of Eng,Tamilnau, Let me come to the point,currently i am doing 4th semester,having LIC(linear Integrated Circuits) as...