Electrical problem

Dear freinds,
I have a very typical problem at home re electrical appliances.Brief description: When my radio is on AM station & at the same time I put on the tube light having electrionic choke there is lot of disturbace in the radio & I have to put it off.There is proper earthing to the radio by a seperate wire.When I had normal choke this problem was not there.Due to this I cannot listen to radio AM stations in the post evening hours.Surprisingly as I mentioned FM stations are not having this problem.
Can anybody throw light on this phenomena & suggest a workable remedy

Replies

• Munguti
    Munguti
    MUKUND229
    Dear freinds,
    I have a very typical problem at home re electrical appliances.Brief description: When my radio is on AM station & at the same time I put on the tube light having electrionic choke there is lot of disturbace in the radio & I have to put it off.There is proper earthing to the radio by a seperate wire.When I had normal choke this problem was not there.Due to this I cannot listen to radio AM stations in the post evening hours.Surprisingly as I mentioned FM stations are not having this problem.
    Can anybody throw light on this phenomena & suggest a workable remedy
    AM is very susceptible to noise due to two major reasons.
    1. the frequency range of most of the noise produced is within the frequency range allocated for AM radio broadcast for radio Long wave it is 148.5 kHz–283.5 kHz,Medium wave is 520 kHz–1,610 kHz and Short wave is 1.711 MHz–30.0 MHz. FM uses frequencies higher up the frequency ranges 88MHz - 108MHz.
    2. Noise mainly amplitude modulates the carrier, which is also the same scheme used to modulate the transmission, this will therefore interefere with the original signal, in FM the amplitude is clipped since its unimportant for the intelligent reception of the signal.
  • MUKUND229
    MUKUND229
    Thanks for the response.I would appreciate if anyone could suggect the workable/feasible remedy on this.
    Mukund
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    try turning on ur radio at a suitable distance from ur tubelight choke this might help
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    Try putting a matallic mesh arround your choke light, might help.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    sorry metallic
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    The noise is caused by the high frequency pulses or you can say (RADIO WAVES).

Chokes are installed to "filter out" this high frequency noise. Chokes are simple inductors.You can buy them from market, many different types of chokes are available in the market.

Or for a home-made choke, Just take a pen, and use its body as a core and wound magnetic wire over it creating a core-less coil. Then just connect the choke like in the diagram below:

[​IMG]

Ooops I forgot to change the date on my logo lolz.

Good Luck

Here is an example. 😀

These are 2 home made chokes

[​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Folks, I wish to add BSE/NSE ticker to a website. Can anyone help me with it? I may use the one provided by widgetbox; but I'd like to have one...
Hello, this may not be the proper forum for such a question, but I feel it may be the most appropriate place. I was wondering if anyone here knows of...
Just go to and type the thing you like to find and in miliseconds you have it 😀 have fun
I've been working on a certain problem for some time, trying to decompose a series (I have the range of the function), into an algebra that gives a general, recurrence-type...
I'm making a drawbridge which has a mechanism to detect the arrival of ships and open up..and when there is no ship traffic, it automatically closes down and allows road...