Electrical Engineer Specialist, Hazardous Installations Directorate, North or South

Under HSE’s current pay arrangements, subject to an effective level of performance, staff progress annually towards the maximum of their pay scale. The maximum of the pay range for this post is currently £50,707. Successful applicants will be offered a point on the salary scale, appropriate to the level of their experience and skills, within the range £42,323 - £46,040.

Chemical Industries Division – CI
The Chemical Industries Division (CI) of HSE’s Hazardous Installations Directorate is responsible for all inspection and enforcement across the full range of onshore chemical industry processes from oil refining and associated onshore oil-related industry, chemical and pharmaceuticals production, compressed gases and chemical storage. Chemical manufacture and storage industries fall within this definition of Major Hazards and CI acts in conjunction with Environment Agency (Scottish Environment Protection Agency in Scotland) as the Competent Authority in respect of the COMAH regulations.

You will be part of a national team of 17 specialist Inspectors covering different geographical areas within Great Britain. You will be based in one of our regional offices, covering a local area of the country. You will also have a mentoring role, assisting Specialist Inspectors who have less electrical engineering in their background, so on occasions you would be expected to travel nationwide as circumstances dictate.

About the Role
Specialist inspectors play a critical role in HSE’s front line activities. As such you will need to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills in influencing and persuading, communications (written and verbal), planning and delivery, complimented by your knowledge and experience in the area of your specialism. You must be decisive and able to make sound judgements based on available evidence and be comfortable in dealing with senior staff amongst HSE’s stakeholders.

The key aspects of the job role include:

  • Providing specialist advice within and outside HSE
  • Assessing safety report submissions
  • Conducting inspections and investigations in your area of expertise
  • Providing independent expert evidence in court
As a specialist inspector you would be expected to maintain your area of expertise through professional development throughout your career, and keep up to date with latest developments.

Person Requirements
  • A degree in a relevant subject
  • Registered as a Chartered Engineer and have Membership of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) or have the experience and qualifications needed to become MIET CEng
  • Have an in-depth understanding and practical experience of operating both LV and HV electrical power systems, probably as an authorised person (ideally in the chemical industry, although this is not essential)
  • Have knowledge and experience of safe systems of work, isolation and risk assessment
  • You will hold a full driving licence that permits you to drive in the UK unless reasonable adjustments can be made in line with the Equality Act 2010
If you require further information about the post please contact David Wilson #-Link-Snipped-#


You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Some engineers feel that Engineers and designers have been degraded into glorified CAD people. It is all about money and cost control now, [not] design engineering. I have noticed that...
Hey, I'm Nikhil. Currently in 5th Semester and A Future Mechanical Engineer[Well, Thats the Plan for now 😉 ] Me and few of my Friends are planning for M.S and...
Free Fortune Cookie Message Generator - Create, Print Personalized Cookie Fortunes
Why is the compression ratio in CI engines high??????
Friends, Many of you reported that there is a trouble with GATE server. I have found out that they have resolved the issue with minor glitches. If you face any...