Electrical and Electronics

What is the difference between electrical and electronics?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Electrical engineering is about producing electricity at higher amount 220v,5A and more and concludes motors,transformers and various electrical components.

Electronics include producing small amount power with 0-30V and at few mA which concludes electronic circuits.
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    @dileep k : No, that's not it. The voltages and currents don't matter.

Electronics is anything having to do with semiconductors, silicon or germanium, eg circuits involving diodes, tranistors etc.While Electrical is plain old electricity where no semiconductors are involved . eg motors , generators, and circuits involving capacitors, inductors.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    For electrical also there will be a circuit Muffy..It's not about using semi conductors too..
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    Agreed. Thats why they are called "Electrical Circuits" . Have you heard of power electronics? By your definition, an inverter is an electric device, a UPS is an electric device, an smps is an electric device.

Semiconductors make them electronics. Capacitors, inductors, and resistors are all passive-Electrical Devices

Tranistors, diodes, zeners, IC, op amps, mosfets,LED, etc etc.. all electronic.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Yes I know it but your way of answering is different compared to me.It's also about running an electronic device at lower voltage or current..
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Electronics main aim about Less input more Power/Work.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I guess different classical definitions might coincide with each other, which would make both Muffy's and dileep's definitions true in a sense.

Another classical way of viewing it is that electronic deals with the usage of electricity for sending information and control, whereas electrical deals with power generation, distribution and application.

As technology progresses, the distinction between the two would be blurred I suppose.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    Muffy
    @dileep k : No, that's not it. The voltages and currents don't matter.

Electronics is anything having to do with semiconductors, silicon or germanium, eg circuits involving diodes, tranistors etc.While Electrical is plain old electricity where no semiconductors are involved . eg motors , generators, and circuits involving capacitors, inductors.
    I agree with Muffy, also Electrical circuits don't contain semiconductors only capacitors, inductors and resistors.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    ash
    I guess different classical definitions might coincide with each other, which would make both Muffy's and dileep's definitions true in a sense.

Another classical way of viewing it is that electronic deals with the usage of electricity for sending information and control, whereas electrical deals with power generation, distribution and application.

As technology progresses, the distinction between the two would be blurred I suppose.
    This is appropriate!!

Electrical Engineering mainly concentrates on Power generation,Transmission and Distrubution.

This also includes the usage of circuit breakers, relays transformers etc etc.

But this involve the usage of capacitance too.

And Electronics is mostly about the devices which use the electricity generated and work.

One might mix up mechanical too with these two courses or types I would say.

Mostly nothing is mutually exclusive , since one exists with the help of the other one!!

To say in one line Electrical - Production
    Electronics - Application

err.. it became 2 lines 😀
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    Conductors?
    '
    ' Yes
    '
    Current?
    '
    ' Yes
    '
    Semiconductors? no ------> Electrical
    '
    ' Yes
    '
    Electronics

Its that simple.No other explanations.Distinct definitions , no scope for confusion, none for arguments.
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    The Votages and currents do not matter- There are electronic circuits which deal with 1000s of volts and currents exceeding 100 amps, while there are electric motors with nano Watt power ratings.

Electric for production and electronic for application? NO!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, its not so much of being electronics by virtue of semiconductors, since electronics existed before semiconductors with vacuum tubes. It is more better to see what semiconductors do that makes them fall under term Electronics- which one of looking at it, controlling the flow of electrons via electrical resistivity/conductivity.

Having said that, there isn't much of a black and white definition when it comes to them these days. Because technology progresses exponentially, you'll need to look at abstract definitions rather than physical descriptions. Manufacturers even label so called "electrical elements" of resistors, caps, etc as electronic components too.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    the materials used for electronic circuts i.e.,like resistors cannot withstand at higher voltages and currents thats why we use rheostats in electrical and showing that as a difference didn't satisfies me muffy.can you please tell me which electronic circuit has been used at such higher voltage to deliver power..
  • aksa
    aksa
    Electronics deals with circuit components like resistor , capacitor , inductor , transformers
    Transistor (npn,pnp) etc . But electrical deals with the flow of electric charge through these component .
  • baja
    baja
    Munguti
    I agree with Muffy, also Electrical circuits don't contain semiconductors only capacitors, inductors and resistors.
    It is not the case. Because electronics exists before the invention of the semi conductors. In old times of electronics they used vacuum tubes. Electronics become familiar with the invention of semiconductors. semi conductors made electronics to conquer the world fallowed by the IC technology and batch processing made electronics cheaper.

Till a certain period electrical field dealt with high power applications and electronics with low power applications.
    Because of growth of new technology even semiconductor devices are designed with good efficiency and increased rating. Electronic field merged with high power applications(electrical applications) these are generally referred as power electronics.

So power electronics is a bridge between electrical and electronics

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I HATE QUOTATIONS TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW..:twisted:
There is a competetion named "ONLINE TREASURE HUNT". I dont know about it? Can anyone please tell me what it is? And which knowledge is required to participate in that...
Hello, This is Aksa from Punjab. I am an electrical engineer. I want to know what is the Electrical length of Antenna? Can someone explain with an example?
is it possible to make such type of generator.?
am a 4th year student working on a project about how to operate a pump motor using a mobile phone.can u help me with how to go about its circuit...