Electrical and Electronics safety tips and best practices

Hi fellow CEans. I thought I would start a new topic listing Electrical and Electronics safety tips and best practices for all of us CEans to help add to. The point is to keep Safety First and keep it on our minds every day. We are all worth more Alive. ๐Ÿ˜€ At my company we start all our shopfloor meetings with a saftey tip from anyone of our coworkers or supervisors. In my opinion I think it helps keep safety in the forefront of everyones mind and to shed light on safety issues others may not have thought of before.

I will start off the list myself and I will do my best to update the list in the first post of this topic for easey reading.

I would like to also share a 3 pillar ideology that my company rolled out this year as a base for our safety awareness program. They consist of these 3 subjects:

I. A culture of zero tolerance-- No injuries are exceptable. Everyone deserves the right to go home in the same condition they arrived in.

II. Safety is everyones resposibility-- Do not wait for someone else to bring a safety issue to someones attention. Do not wait to make a comment to someone that they may be doing something unsafe and suggest a safer method.

III. Every walk is a safety walk-- When your at your place of work or in a class keep your eyes open for possable safety issues and do something to fix it or make it known.

Feel free to bring these ideas to your place of work or into your classroom. ๐Ÿ˜€
OK lets get this list started!

1. When working with electricity or testing equipment always where cotton (natural fiber) clothing including sox and underware to protect yourself from arc flash burns wich would melt synthetic clothes to your skin. If you are not whereing cotton clothing be sure to where a full length cotton lab coat.

2. Always where safety glasses.

3. Make sure to remove tools and garbage from your work area when energizeing a piece of equipment.

4. Use the correct tool for the job.

5. When energizeing a piece of equipment rope of the area to help alert others that work or testing is going on and to make it less likely someone will get an accidental shock.

6. Before testing call out loudely that you are "testing" to inform others in the erea that you are energizeing something.

7. When useing variable voltage test equipment make sure to check that it is switched off first and the voltage is turned down to the lowest setting. Make sure to do the same thing when you are finished.

8. Check your test equipment cords and leads for any cuts or cracks in the insulation or loose connections.

9. Ensure that your tools are in good working order.

10. Stay focused when you are working with live electricity it is easy to forget what you are doing and accidentaly touch something that you should not.

11. Do not where metal jewelry like rings and necklaces when working with electricity.

12. When working with electrical test equipment make sure you know the correct voltage that you should be useing and also weather it is AC or DC voltage to prevent damage to to the equipement being tested.

13. Wear rubber footwear.

14. Better practice- Always do your current & voltage supply setting before connecting them in the circuit as internal offsets in the ckt. may give you erroneous value of reading on the power supply.

15. Have fire extinguisher everywhere in school , colleges and company..and learn how to use it.

16. Learn the fire brigade number in case of emergency.

17. Use fuse and ckt breakers in your electrical ckt with an indicator.

18. Make people aware about the electric fire and how to control it.

19. Person should know how to distinguish between earth and neutral.

20. Put everything to its place after using dont leave the tools , apparatus to the shopfloor.

21. Make sure your electrical appliances are earthed.If there is no provision,connect a low resistance wire from body of appliance to the earth socket.

OK thats enough for me for now. Lets hear some ideas from our fellow CEans! ๐Ÿ˜€

SAFETY IS EVERYONES RESPONSIBILTY.

Replies

• YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    This is reserved for future use.
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    This is also reserved for future use.
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    This to is also reserved for future use.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Very Good Points.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, great going ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Useful tips.
    I wonder if any point has been left out. Good contribution ๐Ÿ‘
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    We all needed this one. thanks dear.
    Moderators, can we make this a sticky thread? this is the most useful thing you need when you are an electrical engineer. Its an essential. please stick it on the top.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Safety point- Wear rubber footwear..๐Ÿ˜‰
    Better practice- Always do your current & voltage supply setting before connecting them in the circuit as internal offsets in the ckt. may give you erroneous value of reading on the power supply.
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    Thankyou for your contributions shreyasm89.

Everyone feel free to help add to the safety list. I will update the list at the top post as time goes on for ease of reading. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • freak16
    freak16
    kudos--๐Ÿ˜›
    have fire extinguisher everywhere in school , colleges and company..and learn how to use it.
    learn the fire brigade number in case of emergency.
    use fuse and ckt breakers in your electrical ckt with an indicator.
    make people aware about the electric fire and how to control it.
    person should know how to distinguish between earth and neutral.
    put everything to its place after using dont leave the tools , apparatus to the shopfloor.
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    Thankyou for your contributions freak16.

I am glad to see people takeing an interest in safety. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @young- It is great that you re compiling a list of safety precautions. Actually I think all these points must be already there in some electricity safety manual, one which conforms to international rules. I would suggest engineers & students to make it mandatory to include in the syllabus or training course.
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    I agree with you shreyasm89. It could help prevent alot of injuries and deaths around the world.

Might not hurt to make a suggestion to all our places of work to offer some safety awareness training or courses if not already provided. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • cranky
    cranky
    Make sure your electrical appliances are earthed.If there is no provision,connect a low resistance wire from body of appliance to the earth socket ๐Ÿ˜€
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    Thankyou for your contribution cranky.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    nice going guys................this will really help a newbie.............

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hii Can anyone please explain me the output of this code int main() { int i=0; while(+(+i--)!=0) i -= i++; printf("%d",i); getchar(); return 0; } I found it at :-...
I have made this poster about CrazyEngineers, which will be sent to various engineering colleges that look for media partnership with us. Have a look: I would like if you...
Does that really happen ?
Me and my team is going to design a solar powered car. And for that I am involved in making the chassis part that is to be made with steel...
Hello CEans, As you aware of our CE- Facebook Application, "The Engineering Purity Test", we require your suggestions to come up with the best. It was not officially launched yet....