Electric Flux Magnetic Flux Difference

Electric Flux Magnetic Flux Difference

Below is the simple explanation of electric flux and magnetic flux and the difference between the two. Let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to answer them for you.

Electric Flux:

The concept of electric flux is a measure of the number of electric field lines passing through an area. It's a way of representing the distribution of the electric field in a given region.

Mathematically, electric flux (ΦE) is the dot product of the electric field (E) and the surface area (A) vector through which it is passing.

ΦE = E.A = EAcosθ

Where θ is the angle between the direction of the electric field and the normal (perpendicular) to the surface.

In the context of Gauss's law, electric flux is used to relate the electric field around an object to the net charge enclosed by it. The total electric flux passing through a closed surface is equal to 1/ε0 times the net charge enclosed by the surface, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

Applications of electric flux include calculations of electric fields in electromagnetism and electrostatics, such as the behavior of electric fields around charged objects or in capacitors. Electric flux also plays a key role in the design and analysis of electric machines, sensors, and imaging technologies.

Magnetic Flux:

Magnetic flux, like electric flux, measures the quantity of the magnetic field passing through an area. However, there's a key difference: While electric charges (and thus electric fields) can be isolated, there are no known magnetic monopoles. All magnetic fields are generated by moving electric charges and inherently have both a north and a south pole.

Mathematically, magnetic flux (ΦB) is the dot product of the magnetic field (B) and the surface area (A) vector through which it is passing.

ΦB = B.A = BAcosθ

Where θ is the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the normal to the surface.

The unit of magnetic flux in the International System (SI) is the Weber (Wb). In the context of Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, a changing magnetic flux induces an electromotive force (EMF) - this principle is used in electric generators and transformers.

Applications of magnetic flux include:

1. Generators and motors: The fundamental operation of electric motors and generators relies on the relationship between magnetic flux and electric current.

2. Transformers: In a transformer, alternating current in one coil (the primary) creates a changing magnetic flux, which induces a voltage in the secondary coil.

3. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): MRI scanners use a strong magnetic field to generate a flux through the body. The scanner detects changes in this flux to create detailed images of the body's interior.

4. Inductive charging systems: Magnetic flux is manipulated to wirelessly transfer power across a gap, such as in some smartphone charging pads.

In summary, both electric and magnetic flux are used to quantify how much field (electric or magnetic) passes through a given surface. However, their applications and the phenomena they describe can be quite different due to the distinctive nature of electric and magnetic fields.

Electric Flux Density and Magnetic Flux Density

Let’s also talk about electric flux density.

Electric Flux Density:

The electric flux density, D, is a measure of the amount of electric flux passing through a unit area. It is defined as the electric flux per unit area. In vacuum and many materials, it is directly proportional to the electric field, E, and the proportionality constant is the permittivity of the medium (ε). It's often written as:

D = εE

In the SI system, the units of electric flux density are coulombs per square meter (C/m^2).

The electric flux density is a very important quantity in electrostatics because it relates the electric field in a medium to the free charge that produces the field.

Magnetic Flux Density:

Magnetic flux density, B, also known as the magnetic field, is a measure of the amount of magnetic flux passing through a unit area. It is defined as the magnetic flux per unit area.

B = ΦB/A

where ΦB is the magnetic flux and A is the area.

The magnetic field around a magnet is represented by magnetic field lines, and the density of these field lines (how close together they are) is the magnetic flux density. The unit for magnetic flux density in the International System (SI) is the Tesla (T).

The magnetic flux density is a critical quantity in magnetostatics and electrodynamics, as it relates the magnetic field in a medium to the sources that produce the field.

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which forms the basis for many electric power generation technologies, links a changing magnetic flux density to the electromotive force produced.

Replies

• saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    these might help
    Electric Flux

Magnetic Flux
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    saurabh2486
    Flux

thanks for your answer....
    it really helped me....😁

• sushant005
    sushant005
    FlUX - Flux is the presence of a force field in a specified physical medium, or the flow of energy through a surface.
    Flux is nothing but no. of lines in a plane that contains or intersects electric charge poles or magnetic poles.

Flux lines are intangible; they cannot be seen. But they can be observed indirectly, and they produce demonstrable effects

ELECTRIC FLUX - It is generally linked with any surface is defined as the total number of electric field lines that pass through that surface.

The total electric flux through a surface in an electric field may be the surface integarl of the electric field over that surface.

Electric flux is a scalar quantity.

MAGNETIC FLUX - The magnetic lines of force passing normally through a surface is defined as magnetic flux.

The number of magnetic lines of force passing normally through a unit area of asubstance is defined as the magnetic flux density.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello... can anyone tell me what is reluctance torque?
CEans, We give away Quick Heal Total Security 2010 product to our CEan Of The Month. Thanks to our Sponsors (Quick Heal) who make it possible 😀 I request all...
Source: Email. AppLabs is a global IT services company specializing in quality management, testing, and certification solutions. With over a decade of experience, AppLabs has become a trusted partner to...
Guys today there was my viva of ATM Then my teacher ask me question can we have mac address if there is no nic card or lan card in our...
I have read this book and have a great impact on my life. This book is all about the SELF-AWAKENING. Its a great motivational book. A beautiful line written in...