electric fan that will follow you

hello. I want to ask for help. I am an electronics engineering student and I want to create a electric fan that will turn on when a person will come into the range of the sensor and then the fan will follow the person in linear movement only. the movement of the fan will be restricted only in linear movement because it will only move in a straight rail. my problem is, how am i going to make the electric fan move back and forth?

Replies

• medeepak
    medeepak
    use rack and pinion mechanism
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    It Means your Fan will not be in fix position?
    or it get ON/OFF only when there is a person within the range of that Fan?
  • iAstro
    iAstro
    Hey Hii Nads,
    Nice Project Idea!;-)

As I think, You can easily make it ON/OFF when a user comes near it by simply using Light Dependent Resistor & The driver circuit for ON/OFF purpose. That would be easy.
    But, For making a FAN to follow you, you'll need an appropriate mechanism then. A mechanism quite similar to robotics.

By the way.. One question! How you want your fan to be moved. According to the user's direction or irrespective of the user's movement?
  • JamesSimon
    JamesSimon
    ^ yep that'll be a great project though annoying cause wonder a fan would follow you all round! lol.

seriously, the answer to your question is in robotics, sensory and optical robotics. try to search for it. the electrical part is easy cheese compared to those robotics freaks! lol. kiddin'

goodluck!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    nads
    the fan will follow the person in linear movement only. the movement of the fan will be restricted only in linear movement because it will only move in a straight rail.
    You can try using a belt attached to a stepper motor and fan, and guide the fan along a bar (or rail) just like in inkjet printers. This would save weight as the motor is detached from the fan itself. One motor should be sufficient.

For human detection, you can use passive infrared.. though it'll need some calibration to avoid false detection. Have you figured out other specifications of this project, such as the range of detection on how far the linear movement of the fan is?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Building a homeade ATV/gobuggy. Anybody know how a drivetrain in a four-wheel drive ATV works. I need somebody to explain how power gets from the engine to the wheels. I...
Presently I am in the 4th year of my bachelors in computer science and I wanted to know if which would be a more better option: Going abroad for higher...
hi friend's we know that "simple mail transfer protocol(SMTP)" are used for transmitting email message across the internet and "file transfer protocol(FTP)" are used for transfer files between one another....
Dear All, I need an IC which will convert 1 - 5 volts to +- 10 volts range. I know that it is of the LM series. I just don't...
what is PSH flag in TCP? hello guy's Anyone have idea about PSH flag in TCP. please explain with an example. 😒