effect of valve diameter

Does anyone know the effect of inlet & exhaust valve diameter on the engine performance?
What will happen if both the inlet & exhaust valve diameter is decreased maintaining the same initial ratio? What parameters of engine will change?

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Diesel or petrol engine?
  • mechky
    mechky
    CE Designer
    Diesel or petrol engine?
    petrol engine
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    Decreasing valve dia upto a certain limit will increase engine performance of petrol engine . This is so because as valve dia dec. , the pressure of charge at inlet manifold will decrease due to increase in flow velocity. This will result in decrease in temperature of charge, reducing chances of preignition and knocking. So you can easily increase the compression ratio resulting in more power output in same fuel consumption... Thus bsfc increases. The efficiency also increases as a result .

Decreasing the dia too much will result in problems bcoz the charge temp will dec. too much making it difficult for fuel to reach its self ignition temperature.
  • mechky
    mechky
    S.mukherjee
    Decreasing valve dia upto a certain limit will increase engine performance of petrol engine . This is so because as valve dia dec. , the pressure of charge at inlet manifold will decrease due to increase in flow velocity. This will result in decrease in temperature of charge, reducing chances of preignition and knocking. So you can easily increase the compression ratio resulting in more power output in same fuel consumption... Thus bsfc increases. The efficiency also increases as a result .

Decreasing the dia too much will result in problems bcoz the charge temp will dec. too much making it difficult for fuel to reach its self ignition temperature.
    So, it probably means that whatever engines are manufactured their valve dia is already upto that 'certain limit' of getting maximum engine performance.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Less fuel = Less compression = less power
  • mechky
    mechky
    CE Designer
    Less fuel = Less compression = less power
    I seriously doubt that. Its because with decreasing valve dia the flow velocity will increase, provided the inlet passage dia remains constant. So amount of fuel shall remain the same.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I misinterpretted. I thought valve and passage were one and the same.
  • zaki_whiz03
    zaki_whiz03
    mechky
    I seriously doubt that. Its because with decreasing valve dia the flow velocity will increase, provided the inlet passage dia remains constant. So amount of fuel shall remain the same.
    If there is to be a change in the valve dia then the passage dia should be changed accordingly in order that the valve has a leak proof seat on it.
  • zaki_whiz03
    zaki_whiz03
    By reducing the inlet valve dia there should be a subsequent reduction in the passage dia. The flow velocity is increased during the suction stroke and turbulence is created in the combustion chamber which is essential for proper and complete combustion of the fuel-air mixture. If the exhaust valve dia is decreased then the resistance of the combustion products to flow out is increased as a result the stresses within the cylinder and especially on the piston is increased.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is a deadlock in operating system? Is it a state where two ore more operations are waiting for each other, say a computing action 'A' is waiting for action...
Join Europe's largest and most important hydrogen and fuel cells exhibition - the 18th Group Exhibit Hydrogen + Fuel Cells at HANNOVER MESSE 2012, April 23-27! HANNOVER MESSE attracts visitors...
I think it will be useful in quick way to have a forum which shares links (websites,youtube,etc.,) which are useful for different technical fields.
160By2 is a service that lets you send free SMS to India to any mobile network. The service claims that it's 12 million users and Out of the 160 characters...
LG - the leading TV company has launched world's biggest OLED screen Television. Apart from being drop dead gorgeous, the TV is, hold your breath, only 4 mm thick! 😨...