Effect of magnetic & electric fields on fiber cable data transmissions

In the last few days of getting the BSNL folks to setup the FTTH connections, I've been messing around with the fiber cables and have been amazed by the technology. The most obvious question is whether the magnetic and electric fields affect the fiber cables and have any adverse effect on their data carrying capacity?

I checked online and found a research paper on the topic : #-Link-Snipped-#.

The paper finds out that it's the orientation of the electro-magnetic fields that may have effect which is quite noticeable in case of the electric fields and not very significant in case of the magnetic fields.

It would be great if someone can post an insight on the topic.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    FOCs are immune to any adverse effect of magnetic field & electric field 'cuz the transmission is in form of light(photons) & not current.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right, that's what I initially read until I stumbled upon the paper that studies this effect. I couldn't make out much from the paper (didn't spend lot of time reading it) but it seems that the magnetic and electric fields do tend to affect. But it could be the larger magnitude of electromagnetic fields that affect these.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    How come yet to go through the paper but in the fibers don't data transmitted are in the form of optical signals which have least proximity to magnetic and electric fields
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    there is interference probability in very high levels of electric field having frequency in the order of light or an equivalent magnetic field can disrupt to an extent I guess
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    if magnetic field effects the optical fiber means it is fault of construction of CLAD which is highly insulted so no chance of field effects on fiber and one more thing fiber carries the optical signal so light as no effect in magnetic filed and also in an electric field.
    before fiber came for real world working all of fiber vendors (manufacture) went for many tests like electrical, mechanical pressure,magnetic field ,etc,then only they out the fiber to market, if any thing happens means it is because of poor cladding construction and faulty fiber.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well do you mean Em waves cannot be created by oscillations of Electric and magnetic fields then pal #-Link-Snipped-#
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    i couldn't understand your point my pal...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Electromagnetic oscillations can be produced using Electric and magnetic fields perpendicular to each other
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes then.ok i got u r point, it wont much effect on fiber,...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yup I clarified with it pal the effect is similar to super positioning of AC and DC signal the effect can be easily reversed to get back the original light signal
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes jeffrey............

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chevrolet India launched two new products in a gap of 2 days the updated Cruze and Captiva. Chevrolet will launch its all new Sail hatchback and Sail sedan in India...
plz suggest me some good and easy topics for seminar related to computer technology.
on which portion i have to concentrate more (Reasoning or Quantitive aptitude) for clearing test of infosys,wipro,cts....
hello friends..this is my project and am currently working on it ..so am a little bit confused with its structure and components..so if you have already done this project or...
Plz any Body having Fundamental of Multimedia Notes Plz Send It to me ...!