Eclat (n): Meaning & Usage

Meaning: brilliant success

Usage: To the surprise of the people who thought that the boy was no good, the boy passed his exams with an eclat.

Syn: acclaim, plaudit, splendour, ceremonial elegance

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    MONA
    Usage: To the surprise of the people who thought that the boy was no good, the boy passed his exams with an eclat.
    It is a good thing you have started these series of threads along with and Abrakadabra.
    An enhanced vocabulary is not doubt good for those who are sitting for GRE or any other exam that tests the usage of the english language at some point. But these threads are also a boon for those who just wish to add on to their existing knowledge of the language.

But since we are talking language and this thread is dedicated to it, allow me to make a correction in your sentence. The above sentence is fine but you have no need to write 'the boy' twice when once was fine. A pronoun would have been a better choice. Also the use of 'that' before 'the' is not necessary here. So the sentence should have read;
    "To the surprise of the people who thought the boy was no good, he passed his exams with an eclat."
  • Tejashree Katdare
    Tejashree Katdare
    raj87verma88
    It is a good thing you have started these series of threads along with and Abrakadabra.
    An enhanced vocabulary is not doubt good for those who are sitting for GRE or any other exam that tests the usage of the english language at some point. But these threads are also a boon for those who just wish to add on to their existing knowledge of the language.

But since we are talking language and this thread is dedicated to it, allow me to make a correction in your sentence. The above sentence is fine but you have no need to write 'the boy' twice when once was fine. A pronoun would have been a better choice. Also the use of 'that' before 'the' is also not necessary here. So the sentence should have read;
    "To the surprise of the people who thought the boy was no good, he passed his exams with an eclat."
    Thank you for correction in the sentence.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Every one, I want some latest seminar topics for my final year in Electronics and Communication and the respective websites to get detailed information about that topic. Please provide...
please tell me software related with mechanical engineering along with there use and if possible link to it's tutorial other than 1 autocad 2 pro e
hi CEans, Is it possible to shutdown all the whole world computers connected through internet ?
Hi friend's I like to watch the movies based on computer and web technology. but it's limited and i think i watch all the movies of hollywood based on computer...
Hi everyone in CE.....i am an aspiring engineer...i have given my entrance exams and have got admission in MIT[Manipal Institute Of Technology] and have secured a rank of 8268 in...