Earthquake in Delhi- NCR - 7th Sept. 2011 - 11:30 PM

People are tweeting everywhere..
Either this was the BIGGEST earthquake to strike Delhi Or another Bomb exploded near my house. 😲

Earthquake in Delhi.. People say it was a big earthquake..

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Re: Earthquake in Delhi - 7th Sept. 2011

Could anybody confirm that people are safe & no major casualties are found?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

People are saying it's of 6.6 Richter scale!!
    Delhi among 30 cities at high risk seismic zone! 😲
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Last year there was a similar news on CE in september: #-Link-Snipped-#

Signs that we are approaching 2012 doom? :-/
  • Reya
    Reya

The earthquake lasted for 30 seconds it is of 4.7 magnitude 😔

Tremors were felt across Delhi,NCR and chandigarh too.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

CEans from Delhi/NCR Region, Please confirm that situation is safe now. 😐
  • Reya
    Reya

The situation is safe.Just spoke with my friend who is in Delhi.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Some useful pointers:
    1. Remain in the same "safe" location for several minutes after the earthquake, in case of aftershocks.
    2. Do not attempt to evacuate or leave your immediate area unless absolutely necessary or when instructed to do so by a proper authority.
    3. Check for injuries and administer necessary first aid. Recognize and assist co-workers who are suffering from shock or emotional distress.
    4. Implement your survival plan. Establish a temporary shelter if rescue teams are expected to be delayed.
    5. Use a stairway when instructed to exit building.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Pravee: Thanks. Good to know.

It would be great if others confirm it too. Please post here if you are from delhi or know someone from delhi.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I read somewhere that it has it Japan too. Will have to confirm though. 😐 :/
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's what people are reporting:

Delhi : windows and doors were shaking really bad, even a picture frame fell
    Delhi : Yes, felt an earthquake in Delhi region moments ago..
    Delhi : Light shaking of earth in delhi, india. Epicentre may be either in hindukush mountains, himalayas or gujarat
    Delhi : It was very strong but for very less duration.
    Delhi : Felt a gentle earthquake in Delhi. Time was about 11:30 pm. Gurgaon, Ghaziabad,Noida,Najafgarh seem to be affected
    Delhi : though it was short-lived, for once i thought, i don't wanna right now.. my monitor was shaking.. hope everyone is safe..!! fingers crossed.
    Delhi : It was about 2335hrs in New Delhi, India. I was working on the computer. I felt as if the table and the building (on 5th floor) was shaking.My wife also asked me whether i knocked the bathroom door.
    Faridabad :i live in faridabad. i felt dat my bed is vibrating.
    Gurgaon : Felt quite a shake, windows and doors were shaking. Went on for about 12 seconds.
    Delhi : strong earthquake felt in NEW DELHI just at 11.38 pm (IST).
    Delhi : a terrible shaking of the entire hostel building and the entire campus.
    Delhi : We felt earthquake tremor tonight, 7-th of September around 23.30 IST in Delhi, India.
    Noida : wasnt long enough but strong!
    Delhi : I felt the earthquake at my home in new delhi at 11.28 PM , 7 September, 2011. The tremor felt quite strong and we rushed out in fear of an aftershock. The furniture also shook.
    Delhi : 6th floor of hotel swayed for about 30 seconds.
    Delhi : in delhi there was strong shaking possibly the epicentre may be in uttarpradesh. tremors were not felt in punjab and gujarat
    Delhi : a brief duration of almost half a minute….of strong tremors…felt like could have more
    Noida : I was sleeping and suddenly I was awoken by violent shaking of my bed. Right now I am very scared and don't know if there will be any aftershocks. If anyone else has felt this, please tell. Even the news has not mentioned anything yet.
    Delhi : moderate to slightly strong shaking which lasted a short while of about 2 seconds at about 11:27 PM (IST)
    Delhi : Just felt tremors about 10 minutes ago. I had to hold stuff on my television set.. to save them from falling Saved though..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A reliable source says - "The tremors, measuring 4.2 on Richter Scale with Haryana's Sonepat as epicentre, were felt across Delhi and its adjoining satellite towns of Ghaziabad and Noida in Uttar Pradesh and Gurgaon in Haryana at 11:28 pm."
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I guess people are safe. Why don't we publish do's and don'ts during earthquake?

When you feel an earthquake, duck under a desk or sturdy table. Stay away from windows, bookcases, file cabinets, heavy mirrors, hanging plants, and other heavy objects that could fall. Watch out for falling plaster and ceiling tiles. Stay undercover until the shaking stops, and hold onto your cover. If it moves, move with it. Below are some additional tips for specific locations:

• If you're in a WHEELCHAIR, stay in it. Move to cover, if possible, lock your wheels, and protect your head with your arms.
    • If you're in the KITCHEN, move away from the refrigerator, stove, and overhead cupboards. (Take time NOW to anchor appliances, and install security latches on cupboard doors to reduce hazards.)
    • If you're in a STADIUM OR THEATER, stay in your seat and protect your head with your arms. Do not try to leave until the shaking is over, then leave in a calm, orderly manner. Avoid rushing toward exits.
    Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE CHECK LIST
    • Be prepared for aftershocks, and plan where you will take cover when they occur.
    • Check for injuries. Give first aid, as necessary.
    • Remain calm and reassure others.
    • Avoid broken glass.
    • Check for fire. Take appropriate actions and precautions.
    • Check gas, water, and electric lines. If damaged, shut off service. If gas is leaking, don't use matches, flashlights, appliances, or electric switches. Open windows, leave building, and report to gas company.
    • Replace all telephone receivers, and use for emergency calls only.
    • Tune to the emergency broadcast station on radio or television. Listen for emergency bulletins.
    • Stay out of damaged buildings.
    INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY READINESS

• Create a Family Earthquake Plan
    • Know the safe spot in each room, (under sturdy tables, desks, or against inside walls).
    • Know the danger spots, (windows, mirrors, hanging objects, fireplaces and tall furniture).
    • Conduct practice drills. Physically place yourself and your children in safe locations.
    • Learn first aid and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) from your local Red Cross or other community organization.
    • Decide where your family will reunite, if separated.
    • Keep a list of emergency phone numbers.
    • Choose an out-of-state friend or relative whom family members can call after the quake to report your condition. Carry emergency contact cards with out of state contact phone numbers.
    HOME PREPAREDNESS

• Learn how to shut off gas, water, and electricity in case the lines are damaged.
    • Check chimneys, roofs, and wall foundations for stability. Note: If your home was built before 1935, make sure your house is bolted to its foundation. If your home is on a raised foundation, make sure the cripple walls have been made into shear walls. Call a licensed contractor if you have any questions.
    • Secure Heavy Furnishings
    • Secure water heater and appliances that could move enough to rupture utility lines.
    • Keep breakable and heavy objects on lower shelves. Put latches on cabinet doors to keep them closed during shaking.
    • Keep flammable or hazardous liquids such as paints, pest sprays, or cleaning products in cabinets or secured on lower shelves.
    • Maintain emergency food, water, medicine, first aid kit, tools, and clothing.
    [HR][/HR]HOME AND OFFICE FIRST AID KITS
    First aid kits are vital following any emergency. They can also come in very handy on a day to day basis when someone is injured. To be useful, a first aid kit must be accessible and ready. Store the kit in a location that will be accessible following the turmoil of an earthquake.
    Do not forget your cars! You also need a well-stocked first aid kit for each vehicle.
    Supplies need to be rotated and kept fresh, especially in vehicles where heat can shorten the life of your first aid supplies. We recommend checking and updating all of your first aid supplies twice a year. A good time is when you change your clocks for daylight savings time. (This is also the time to check your smoke detector batteries).
    MEDICATIONS
    • Antibiotic Ointment
    • Medications For All Family Members
    • Aspirin and/or Pain Relief Medication
    • Diarrhea Medication
    • Eye Drops
    • Cold/Cough Medicine
    • Benadryl
    • Insect Spray
    • Ear and Nose Drops
    • Hydrogen Peroxide
    • Skin Disinfectant Spray
    • Extra Prescription Medication
    • Old Pair Of Prescription Eyeglasses For Spare
    MEDICAL MATERIALS
    • Band-aids
    • Medical Latex Gloves
    • Surgical Mask
    • Instant Cold Packs
    • Instant Hot Packs
    • Ace Bandages
    • Butterfly Bandages
    • Gauze Pads
    • Cotton Swabs
    • Adhesive Tape
    • 2" & 4" Wide Sterile Bandage Rolls
    • Triangular Bandage For Sling, Etc. (37" x 37" x 52")
    • Tongue Depressors (Pop-sickle Sticks)
    • Splint Material
    • Spray Bottle With 10% Bleach Solution For Disinfecting Objects.
    FAMILY EARTHQUAKE PLAN[HR][/HR]KNOW YOUR ENVIRONMENT
    During an earthquake, stay away from heavy furniture, appliances, large panes of glass, shelves holding heavy objects, and
    masonry veneer (such as the fireplace). These items tend to fall or break and can injure you. Usually, a hallway is one of the safest places if it is not crowded with objects. Kitchens and garages tend to be the most dangerous. Also, know the safest place in each room. It will be difficult to move from one place to another during a severe earthquake.
    EXITS AND ALTERNATIVE EXITS: Always know all the possible ways to exit your house and workplace in emergency situations. Try to discover exits that would only be available to you in an emergency.LOCATION OF SHUT-OFF VALVES: Know the location of the shutoff valves for water, gas, and electricity. If you are not sure, contact your utility company
    [HR][/HR]
    MAKE SPECIAL PROVISIONS ELDERLY, DISABLED, OR PERSONS UNDER MEDICATION: These people may have difficulty moving around after an earthquake. Plan to have someone help them to evacuate if necessary. Also, they may need special foods or medication. Be sure to store several days' supply of these special provisions.
    PERSONS WHO DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH: People who cannot speak English often rely on their family or friends for information. If they are separated during an earthquake, they may need help. Prepare emergency information cards, written in English, indicating identification, address, and special needs.
    PETS: After an earthquake, you should be concerned with your own safety before taking care of your pets. Storing extra food and water for pets is always a good idea. Keep them in a secure place at home after an earthquake. If you are evacuated, they will not be allowed at the emergency shelter.

Source:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Today's Earthquake reports: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, my name is harsh, am doing my final year in computer science, and i was very much interested to a project on cloud computing. I have basic understanding of...
😔😔hey!! can anyone send me d whole program (in C )of coding round .... actually i hav it but verymuch cnfused... plz reply on my id soon .. my id...
Its my request to all Coputer Science department guies to please suggest me any good project topic..
NAVTEQ, the company that provides maps, traffic and location data has launched 3D maps for Indian cities. These maps will provide 3D landmarks, motorway junction objects, and sign-as-real: is content...
NI visited my campus today and the presentation was awesome and when it came to the number of rounds we would go through, he told us we better do not...