Earth Hour 2010! [27/3/2010]

Well folks, the next Earth Hour is coming soon. For those not in the know, at 8:30pm on March 27th, we switch off our lights for a hour to "vote" our commitment towards environmental efforts. Check the official website here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Looking back at our #-Link-Snipped-#, we saw quite a number of CE participation. Hopefully it'll be a lot more this year! ๐Ÿ˜€

Last year there was some talk about having a sort of weekly thing that CEans can do to dedicate an hour for environmental efforts. In #-Link-Snipped-# started by CEan Madulga, there was a suggestion in there regarding usage of cloth bags for grocery shopping. My state has recently implemented a policy regarding usage of cloth bags every Saturday in major supermarkets. New plastic bags are not banned, but they are charged this time. It has encouraged people to use cloth bags or reuse old plastic ones.

What other suggestions do you guys have that we can do weekly, for an hour or two?

If things works out, we could do them daily ๐Ÿ˜›

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    * use lesser AIRCON .
    *car shars or infact travel by public transprot. We have a company policy where peopl froms ame locality come together and drive in company transport or even more use bi-cyles for shorter distances.
    *grow one plant per home (only 1 plant to water)
  • madugula
    madugula
    yes. planting trees is the easiest and healthiest way of reducing the climatic effects. i, along with my friends have planted 20 plants in our college.. :smile:
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    yes cloth bags and greenery can make huge changes in our climate. I do follow mostly.
    I think our CE ans do participate in the Earth Hour.
  • harsh15
    harsh15
    carbon credit concept should be implemented on large scale.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How time flies.. tomorrow is Earth Hour guys! Don't forget, lights off at 8:30pm (unless you are still driving ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
  • Vega
    Vega
    unless you are still driving
    or performing a surgery on a patient. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    Dont forget to spare one hour for earth from 8.30 PM today.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    was on way back from UNI, so nopes I did not observe it, but SYD did observe ,I came to know the harbor bridge lighting was switched off and restaurants organised candle light dinners ๐Ÿ˜ and my house-mate too observed it- so virtually I did! ๐Ÿ˜
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    just switched off the lights ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Celebrating the Earth hour ๐Ÿ˜
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Celebrated Earth Hour ๐Ÿ˜€. Switched off all the lights.

But, Very bad to say that I am only the person offed the power in my colony. I said to everyone but they neglected. I cant let them to do that.
  • lal
    lal
    But atleast you did it, me did it, our good admin did it and many more CEans too...
    May be many more will join us next year...๐Ÿ˜‰
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yes even in my neighborhood not many switched off the lights. in fact, out of ordinary, my neighbors had put on more lights in their garden. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Yes, Why they neglected this? I said the reason also that why we are doing all this. But, they didn't take it. I felt very bad on their part. :-(
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    you have done it.thats good...make the diffrence ๐Ÿ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    Here in Washington DC they have initiated a $.05 fee to customers who purchase groceries and use plastic bags. Thus helping to incourage people to bring their own bags or simply carry the items.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    Here in Washington DC they have initiated a $.05 fee to customers who purchase groceries and use plastic bags. Thus helping to incourage people to bring their own bags or simply carry the items.
    That's a good move. I've stopped using plastic bags already. I've been using paper bags, but now they say we must save trees. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • gohm
    gohm
    True, plant fiber bags are better if they are from a sustainable product: hemp, bamboo, etc. and are unprocessed. Although tree paper bags are still better than plastic if the content is either 100% recycled or from sustainable harvest and the bag is used multiple times and then recycled again or composted.
  • lal
    lal
    Haha... Thats true! We are locked!
    May be, we can use cloth bags or a baskets...
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah cloth bags or hand woven baskets can be used ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Argh, only managed to half-celebrate Earth Hour. Still had some errands to do at home, so switched off all lights except one. There were some fireworks at 8:30pm and 9:30pm, though its probably just kids trying to use Earth Hour as a pretense to play with them ๐Ÿ˜› Unfortunately only a few Malaysians were actually aware of this event.

gohm
    True, plant fiber bags are better if they are from a sustainable product: hemp, bamboo, etc. and are unprocessed. Although tree paper bags are still better than plastic if the content is either 100% recycled or from sustainable harvest and the bag is used multiple times and then recycled again or composted.
    Some countries like China have a net tree growth for now. That country seems to be intent on pursuing with being "green", probably to offset the huge energy demand.

Ok folks, lets start discussing about our own CE Hour thing, which I think should be weekly (on top of the usual energy saving things we should be doing daily). Perhaps it can be an activity to carry out some recycling of stuff at home/work, etc. Any ideas?
  • lal
    lal
    Ok folks, lets start discussing about our own CE Hour thing, which I think should be weekly (on top of the usual energy saving things we should be doing daily). Perhaps it can be an activity to carry out some recycling of stuff at home/work, etc. Any ideas?
    Oh, that could bring some great results. CEans are going to be Really 'eco-friendly'! ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi in a common emitter bipolar junction transistor when the forward bias voltage across the emitter base junction is increased (after the cut in voltage ) the depletion region across...
MailBrowser Beta Size: 3735 KB Manage contacts, attachments, and other details in Gmail with MailBrowser. Available for Firefox and IE, this add-on reveals information about each contact, integrates with Google...
hi we know that a zener diode operated in a reverse biased condition , eventhough when the reverse voltage applied across the zener diode increases more than its breakdown voltage...
i want to learn and clear my concepts on java programming, sql,oracle etc.. can any one knows where could i get video lectures of language .. as if i am...
Here is my problem: I have to simulate this with Fluidsim or similar and I have no clue on it Thanks