DSLR With Touch Screen - Good Or Bad?

I've been following DSLR updates and have read that at the CES 2015, Nikon will announce touch-screen enabled DSLR cameras (maybe Nikon D5500). Then I read a few comments saying that DSLR with a touch-screen would be a bad idea because every time you use the view-finder, the touch of your face would disturb the settings you've put in place for any specific shot.

Makes sense, given the location of the rear LCD screen. I'm curious to know whether anyone's here used a DSLR or regular point and shoot with a touch-screen (we are not talking about your phones here, fellas!) Do you think addition of a touch-screen interface on a dedicated camera is good or bad from the point of convenience of use?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# .
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    the touch of your face would disturb the settings you've put in place for any specific shot.
    This statement is wrong. Every touch/without touch screen dslr turnoff the screen while using viewfinder by manual button or sensor near to viewfinder. (If screen is on with viewfinder, it's just dumb).
    The touch screen is actually good additional thing but experience user mostly use the screen to review the shot and change advance setting.

For me touch screen is only useful when I am going to pin point focus after composing the shot. Just like smartphone.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks, #-Link-Snipped-# . That makes sense.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Kumar
    This statement is wrong. Every touch/without touch screen dslr turnoff the screen while using viewfinder by manual button or sensor near to viewfinder. (If screen is on with viewfinder, it's just dumb).
    The touch screen is actually good additional thing but experience user mostly use the screen to review the shot and change advance setting.

For me touch screen is only useful when I am going to pin point focus after composing the shot. Just like smartphone.
    Touch screen glass used should be in par with the Panasonic Tablets and Laptops which are built for rugged usage. It'd be useless if the camera can't take a beating or two when used in extreme weather conditions (on top of trees, mountains, etc). Moreover the glass should be sensitive to even rough/no skin as not all outdoor photographers have soft touch fingers owing to the weather conditions they deal with.
  • lal
    lal
    I'm quite sure no camera manufacturer will ever introduce touch controls to replace hardware buttons that already exists on DSLRs. Every DSLR user (and manufacturers too) knows that these dedicated buttons are so important and is one of the factors which makes a DSLR one hell of a device! For sure, touch controls are not gonna replace hardware keys.

But when it comes to reviewing a picture, touch screen can be very handy. A simple pinch zoom and a swipe to review a specific area in a picture, that was already shot, would have otherwise needed a few clicks on the zoom-in button and the arrow keys/scroller to do the same. A total time saver and quite easy. But, it doesn't seem to have good use in exteme conditions; people do wear gloves when shooting in cold!

Some how, I don't think a touch screen would make picking the focus point any better in live view (but may be a faster yet less accurate way). I still visualise the arrow keys doing the job better. Nothing is there to obstruct the view when pressing arrows!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    lal
    , I don't think a touch screen would make picking the focus point any better in live view (but may be a faster yet less accurate way). I still visualise the arrow keys doing the job better.
    I meant that when you touch on screen it will focus on the point right away.
    Using keys you need to select the focus point then you need to press half key to focus. Why I am saying is, focus points are increasing these days.
    For a 51 focus points, if initial focus point is in the middle and if you want to select edge focus point you need to press atleast 5-8 times keys to focus, and then you need to press the shooting button half way to focus.
    Using touch (even inaccurate) you can select the focus point with focus in one go.
    Think of a family member who never used DSLR, to shoot potrait they just have to touch on face area then shoot. That's it. Just like smartphone.

Anyway, these touch screen in camera are targeted to enthusiast DSLR with tiny viewfinder.
    A experienced photographer never uses live view. A actual viewfinder with pentaprism in advance cameras are so good that live view looks bad.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OPPO R5 has been officially announced in India with a price tag of Rs. 29990. The phone will be available for pre-orders starting January 1, 2015. We discussed the specs...
Here's what each one of you is secretly asking - True Or Not True?
Hi Everyone!! Name:Koushal Patel , best known as KP among friends!! 😀😀 Engineering Trade:Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Location: Mumbai Occupation: Software Engineer Work Experience: Since Jan 2013 - 2 years...
can you write code in c language for my circuit which is attached to it(vehicle tracking using GSM and GPS).
After the launch of Stellar 520n and Dream Uno 498H (known as a hindi smartphone) in this month, the Indian smartphone maker company, Spice mobiles has launched a dual-SIM (GSM...