Drone It Yourself Turns Everything Into A Flying RC Drone!

Drone It Yourself kit allows you to turn your computer keyboard, telephone, physics book, iPad 2 and Beatles DVD into a flying RC drone. Yep - you read that right! If you ever dreamed of making things fly - Jasper Van Loenen is the man to thank! His "Drone It Yourself" project will turn any object into a quadrotor drone. All you have to do is attach the four motors to the object you want to fly and you're done. We bet you can impress you neighbours on any weekend. If not, you can easily annoy them!

slideโ€‹

The kit comprises of all plastic parts. It includes the clamps to attach the motors to the objects and can be easily 3D printed in ABS. Those of you who are in possession of a 3D printer (and are ahead of the times) can visit Jasper's website and get the appropriate files to print. The clamps would work with most of the regular objects; but for unevenly shaped objects, you're free to design your own clamping mechanisms. There's no stoppage to your creativity.

The drone-masters will have to track down four motors and their propellers [two of them are right rotating and other two are left-rotating]. The kit comes with a capable battery and all the electronic circuitry, including the connecting wires to get you started in almost no time. For some more information on the requirements, check out this text file on Jasper's website: #-Link-Snipped-#. In a demonstration video, Jasper shows us how to fly a bicycle wheel as a UAV.

We want to ask all CEans about possible creative uses of the kit and what are the objects they want to fly using Drone It Yourself.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ah ! that is crazy. I wonder how these motor is powerful to lift bicycle wheel ! ๐Ÿ˜•

I am sure this Drone can not lift my cousin's School Bag. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The motor specs are as follows -

Specs:Model: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kvKv: 1200rpm/vMax current: 18AMax Power:200W @ 12v (3S) / 250W @ 15v (4S)Shaft: 3mmWeight: 57.6gESC: 20ACell count: 3s~4s LipolyBolt holes: 16mm & 19mm
    Bolt thread: M3Connection: 3.5mm Bullet-connector
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The motor specs are as follows -

Specs:Model: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kvKv: 1200rpm/vMax current: 18AMax Power:200W @ 12v (3S) / 250W @ 15v (4S)Shaft: 3mmWeight: 57.6gESC: 20ACell count: 3s~4s LipolyBolt holes: 16mm & 19mm
    Bolt thread: M3Connection: 3.5mm Bullet-connector
    From this specification seems motor is powerful enough to carry objects. Any idea about it's battery lifetime?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No clue about the battery life. But I'd imagine it won't last for more than a few minutes. My best guess is ~5 minutes.
  • lal
    lal
    Five minutes ๐Ÿ˜ I second that. Unless the battery has a Nuclear reactor!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    lal
    Five minutes ๐Ÿ˜ I second that. Unless the battery has a Nuclear reactor!
    If it is five minute with heavy load then it is not less as Crazyflie nano copter has only 7 minute fly time with small battery.
  • lal
    lal
    Be it seven or five and which ever be the machine. I guess, with such a small backup time, it won't bring any practical use. Even the 'fun part' is very much limited with such short backup time.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A few days ago,CE forum carried a news on IIT guys carrying a rescue mission with their drone.Yes this drone can also be used for many constructive purposes.
    Battery life stands a hinderance to its usage.Well I want to know the price of the kit before I go for it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No clue about the battery life. But I'd imagine it won't last for more than a few minutes. My best guess is ~5 minutes.
    Harshad Italiya
    If it is five minute with heavy load then it is not less as Crazyflie nano copter has only 7 minute fly time with small battery.
    lal
    Be it seven or five and which ever be the machine. I guess, with such a small backup time, it won't bring any practical use. Even the 'fun part' is very much limited with such short backup time.
    You can always upgrade the Lipo battery to higher capacity. 5000 mah can give you 15mins+, and the added weight wont make much difference given those motors are quite powerful.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Battery life is really a crunching factor when ever it comes to crazy ideas any clue in making a self sufficient battery in this era

Can technology find a perfect replacement in the form of absolute battery

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there any headphone or headset that pause music at any device when removed from ear.๐Ÿ˜’ Now a days ear phones have advancement in technology like controlling everything in a...
218 MPH aka ~350 Km/h is the new speed record to beat! The Lightening Superbike has officially been crowned the fastest electric motorcycle in the world. You may argue that...
We've all sort of equipped ourselves to type like maniacs on the keyboard, and do wonders with our mouse. But now revolution has come. We are now more tempted with...
Dropbox, the service millions of people around the world use to keep their files in the cloud, has organised their first-ever developer conference called DBX. Dropbox CEO, Drew Houston has...
Quote: Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years.The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in...