Drawing by hand is obsolete?

I’ve seen an article about drawing in the digital age. Many architects fear that the computer, and the increasing sophistication of tools for modeling, parametric design, and construction documentation, has made hand drawing obsolete. I think that drawing with computer is more effective and time saving. But drawing by hand can still be considered to be an art and should not be abandoned. How do you think?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pencils and Pens would vanish in the next 15 years for sure!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    Pencils and Pens would vanish in the next 15 years for sure!
    I seems to be vanish but should not be.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    I seems to be vanish but should not be.
    Why not? The slates that probably you and I used when we were young have almost vanished. We've a new era of Aakash tablets!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have various CAD software on the comp. I still do most of my design concept discussions with hand drawn sketches. Very much faster. Of course some one else translates the final design to a ProE or Solidworks drawing for making the part.
    Mine is the only cubicle in the whole group with a chalk board and chalks till a couple of months back when the board was removed during renovation of the whole office. I also keep and use an old set of drawing instruments and templates.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guess what? No matter how many tasks I wrote on the 'notes' app on the phone or made tasks lists online; nothing seems to beat the regular pen & paper so far. It's weird, but it's true.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Guess what? No matter how many tasks I wrote on the 'notes' app on the phone or made tasks lists online; nothing seems to beat the regular pen & paper so far. It's weird, but it's true.
    Yes, yes and yes with bells on. I still use the good old fountain pen and cursive writing. I love it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    Yes, yes and yes with bells on. I still use the good old fountain pen and cursive writing. I love it.
    Cursive writing was always a dream for me (and my teacher). Maybe my left-handedness is responsible.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Vivien.hugo
    I’ve seen an article about drawing in the digital age. Many architects fear that the computer, and the increasing sophistication of tools for modeling, parametric design, and construction documentation, has made hand drawing obsolete. I think that drawing with computer is more effective and time saving. But drawing by hand can still be considered to be an art and should not be abandoned. How do you think?
    You must have heard of digital pens. They use them to draw on touch-screen monitors in Animation companies. I had a chance to visit Reliance BIG Animation office and had a chat with the designers. They said using digital pen saves a lot of their work and gives them a lot of new dimensions than the classic mouse and keyboard.

I think digital pens on monitors and stylus on smarphones/tablets is what going to replace our pens/pencils in coming 10 years completely.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Hand-Writing/Drawing is also vanished to some extent. Can't imagine how the future will be?
    The_Big_K
    Cursive writing was always a dream for me (and my teacher). Maybe my left-handedness is responsible.
    Same with my teacher. I've never opened by Copy-Writing books to practice Cursive writing. But I don't even combine 'L' and 'L'. I write each and every letter in individual still now 😁
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I personally liked technical drawing. I just loved its. Nothing like pencil and paper for me. I can go for hours. But we feel this way because we are old fashioned 😛
    The newer generation will be accustomed to the digital world.
    I still feel that the concepts of orthographic projection used to produce 3 view drawings (plan elevation and end view) will be lost.
    By doing it on paper for yourself you will enhance your 3D visualisation skills. This is vital for engineers.
    I dont know but there is nothing better than actually 'pulling' those imaginary lines to understand and visualise what you are drawing.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    It seems that most of us rely on digital tools too much. I can't imagine what will happen if there are no digital tools someday. Or maybe you will find that you don't know how to write by hand after long time work with digital tools. Anyway, this is just my imagination.😉
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    The newer generation will be accustomed to the digital world. I still feel that the concepts of orthographic projection used to produce 3 view drawings (plan elevation and end view) will be lost.By doing it on paper for yourself you will enhance your 3D visualisation skills. This is vital for engineers.
    There have been some studies that indicate that engineers think in pictures and not words.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    bioramani
    There have been some studies that indicate that engineers think in pictures and not words.
    That's me basically 😎. I also learn better by seeing.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    The_Big_K
    Nothing beats the pen and paper to-do lists. I give up on any digital to-do list app as soon as I start using them 😛

Sada
    Same with my teacher. I've never opened by Copy-Writing books to practice Cursive writing. But I don't even combine 'L' and 'L'. I write each and every letter in individual still now 😁
    Same goes for me 😀 . The downside is that, majority seems to be using some kind of cursive writing.
    It becomes difficult to understand for we people with regular letter-by-letter handwriting 😉

Like AKD said, pens and pencils and papers are not thrown out, rather reborn for the new age, as digital pens on digital screens. How our hands work is more or less the same. We can throw away the papers (and save some trees?) as we handle touchscreen tablets with the ease of a paper 😉
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

the slates and chalks did vanish, but pens and pencils wont.

we must remember, that the digital toys are a luxury of the wealthy. but the pen, paper and pencil are for everybody.

even in colleges, in the first semester , students are taught engineering drawings, using the paper, pencils, drafter and other instruments. only in the later semesters, are the designing packages such as autocad or pro-e are taught.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, i have a small suggestion for biggie over here, though i haven't thought about the pro's and con's. the suggestion is to open a book store and engineering stuff....
I'm calling it a science because I think it needs a systematic study & I'm sure if someone tries to find out why a lot of people get inspired after...
Hello all, i am not very much expert in MATLB... i am designing a real time pic microcontroller based ECG system...for that after processing the real time ECG data through...
It's an important question asked in HR. Lets share the views. Question : What's Your Weaknesses? How do you overcome them?
Here is linux based OS for those who are a bit annoyed with linux type interface. Using Zorin you can switch your interface between Windows 7, XP, Vista, 2000, Mac...