Draft Tube!

please explain me this line:
Draft tube has following purpose :- 1. It makes possible the installation of the turbine above the tail race level without the loss of head.

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    Draft tube ensures an airtight closed circuit at turbine outlet thereby making possible to decrease the pressure at turbine outlet below atmospheric. For same working head, now it is possible to install the turbine above tail race water level. There is saving in excavation cost and maintenance cost. If there was no draft tube, the turbine would be installed below the tail race level and water had to be pumped out for maintenance of the runner. Therefore, draft tube helps to avoid the need of pumping out of water.
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    so wherever turbine is there will we have a draft tube????
  • mechky
    mechky
    m.vivekanandan
    so wherever turbine is there will we have a draft tube????
    Draft tubes are required for only reaction turbines as there is low pressure at the exit of the turbine. In case of impulse turbine the pressure at the inlet and the exit is essentially the same and higher than the pressure to which fluid is rejected thus it requires no draft tube.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please can anyone tell me which windowing method is better- hamming or hanning window? i would also like to know about the best windowing method among rectangular, bartlett, hamming ,...
Hallo members, once again i am Ivans and i am a great admirer of engineering since i joined university... am now a fifth year student and i really request for...
I want to know the various ways with which you can ensure proper internet connectivity. 1. Broadband 2. Wi-Fi 3. Dongle. Are there other ways? Which one do you prefer...
Hello, i m last year student of B.E.electrical and now i have to make a projec. And for that i need some help. My thinking is somewhat mad but i...
Employee first customer second EFCS - a back bone of HCL Tech. HCL Tech CEO has published a book also, which listed in harward as a case study. CEans, what...