Downloading Music Without Permission Is Theft - Debate!

Until late 90's piracy of music was a tedious task, you were needed to go out to buy a cassette. There were possibilities that for a pirated music album you will spend less amount against the original.

However lately once internet became popular downloading music from *NOT GENUINE* source has increased like anything. Do you think that copying music without permission is as good as a theft?

BanMusicPiracyโ€‹

I know many of us can counter argue that there are tons of websites that distribute the free music (illegally), so probably they are the culprits not us.

My point is are we helping them is doing this theft?

So what are your views, Is this a theft or a justifiable act?

-CB

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This thread can be merged with this - Music Industry dying because of Bootlegs/Piracy ??

All I want to say is that, well, this could be the near future -
    A customer walks into a shop to buy an original CD and the shopkeeper says,
    "We don't sell CDs anymore. We sell colorful jackets for the music you download illegally."
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think one of the easiest way to control it all would be to improve the internet connection speeds. I think services like Gaana have all the songs you'd imagine on Earth. If you can stream them from anywhere wirelessly, people won't store them on their personal gadgets.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    These are few ways that tells us that what are the best ways of stopping these bad things (per me). The Debate topic is do you really think that downloading music from illegal means should be considered as theft. There are many folks that don't even feel that downloading songs from not authentic means is bad. Do you think so?

If Yes, are we partnering those means in doing the theft?

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Taking something with adequate permission is theft

The material taken may or may not be physical But still it is theft and must be treated as an act of robbery

But Music thieving is ruining music industry a lot a best way to prevent such acts is still to be discovered

As the thieves are getting clever why are not the police turning brighter ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    My opinion is bit different. I don't think piracy should be illegal.
    Why ? I am a customer, and if I am buying any original music disk then I should be satisfied with the songs that album includes.So,I simply download it from torrents,listen it & if I honestly appreciate the artist's work I'll surely gonna buy the original disk, but if not then I won't buy at all.
    This could lead to misuse too.

And if owner think that downloading music without permission is illegal then he/she should only sell the disks & not online streaming or digital media. That seems only way to stop Piracy.

But for record sake, Piracy is what makes an artist more famous.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Conqueror
    Taking something with adequate permission is theft
    ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
    Then how can I take the things without theft??

Just kidding.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I feel with the advent of Itunes and other legitimate online music streaming/downloading, there should be lesser excuses to pirate music online. They also offer sample streaming of music (and there are official artiste channels on youtube). So in a way, its good that the music industry is tending towards embracing online distribution of their content.

If you ban online music altogether, its still easy to rip from the CDs and seed them online.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am not a great fan of original disc But If I buy a original disc I always share it to my friends as a Disc and never copy it

But the online piracy can be controlled a little more for budding musicians to survive in the competitive world
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Conqueror
    But the online piracy can be controlled a little more for budding musicians to survive in the competitive world
    -->

Abhishek Rawal
    Piracy is what makes an artist more famous.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Do music industry really want to stop piracy ๐Ÿ˜จ.
    What if there is not piracy, tell me how may of people in India or outside of US would be fan of MJ, Backstreet boys, Enrique or Metallica.
    Piracy is what makes an artist more famous.
    Most of us may say this is an excuse to piracy but this is one of the ugly truth.

ash
    If you ban online music altogether, its still easy to rip from the CDs and seed them online.
    +1

Cheap rate subscription is one of the best to sell music online and attract pirates to get music legally.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    A normal guy without no technical background can't rip from CDs, but a n00b can upload songs which he/she digitally-downloaded.
    And not all torrent uploaders are professional rippers.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    A normal guy without no technical background can't rip from CDs, but a n00b can upload songs which he/she digitally-downloaded.
    And not all torrent uploaders are professional rippers.
    Well, its not so hard to rip from CDs. In fact, even the default Windows Media Player that "n00bs" would use has that functionality. Is original function was to back up songs and to give users the functionality to burn on CDs or transfer to their portable mp3 players.

My point was that even without official online music distribution, people can still access music ripped from CDs, regardless if the source is professional or not. Remember Napster? A few sources is enough for thousands to peer from.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    In my opinion, its Piracy that makes Artist to reach to larger audience.

Also Suppose any kind of online availability of music is banned completely and people are forced to buy Original CDs. How many of you buy if there is 1-2 good songs per album. Tell me how many albums in past 10 years which have 5-6 good songs in whole album ?

Actually industry is more worried about Piracy of Movies not of music. You see Music can be downloaded from Youtube also from Official Channels (convert mp4 to mp3) but as movies releases on Friday, there is flood of torrents of movie ranging from SCam, PDvd, DvDScR etc... I have even seen 2-3 version of DvdScR of same bollywood movie. So Industry / Media Distributors are more concerned with Movie Piracy.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    When it comes to Music, not everyone can afford to pay for each song they want to hear. Music should be free. And I dont think we have a centralized portal or application like itunes dedicated for music in India. that might help control theft. But for the real scenario, AdSense or other sponsors, who pay ILLEGAL free music websites for their promotions are the real culprits. To stop piracy, music can be categorized to free/paid just like ebooks. And we badly need some handy music portal. Then the pirated content can be controlled and managed effectively.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I only agree with Biggie here, we need to have a faster internet connection which helps in streaming songs faster.
    Music should not be downloaded , think of the effort people put in creating that music. I think these days without downloading we can listen to songs on Radio and there are many websites which has the songs.

And yes if we like it we buy it . I am against this piracy! I have a about 300 casettes and now about 75 cds ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    English-Scared
    we need to have a faster internet connection which helps in streaming songs faster.
    Bit off-topic, but we no longer need faster internet for songs streaming.
    Thanks to opus.

But is there any portal in India which gives an option of audio streaming ?
    Sadly spotify is not available for India, so what other options left ?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bit off-topic, but we no longer need faster internet for songs streaming.
    Thanks to opus.

But is there any portal in India which gives an option of audio streaming ?
    Sadly spotify is not available for India, so what other options left ?
    You may try raaga.com and saavn.com.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Since last few days, I've been frequenting gaana.com. Their radio-mirchi channels are totally awesome. I'm a big fan of retro music ๐Ÿ˜€

I think overall Internet speeds are improving and streaming songs is easy and quick. Video streaming still needs to be worked on.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Since last few days, I've been frequenting gaana.com. Their radio-mirchi channels are totally awesome. I'm a big fan of retro music ๐Ÿ˜€

I think overall Internet speeds are improving and streaming songs is easy and quick. Video streaming still needs to be worked on.
    Ragga, Saavan, ganna, do you think these websites are allowing user to listen the music for free.

Do you believe that if they will allow the user to download the music for free, it will be a big boost in stopping the users to go for pirated music??

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Downloading the music without paying for it and listening to it online are two different things. The first one does not pay the artist. The second one has potential to do it. Let me explain.

If I create music and people download it free - I've no control over it. I can't make money off my creation. But if I share it with a website that streams the songs, I can cut a deal with the website to pay me 40% of the advertising revenues the song generates every month. When people access the site - they will either see an advertisement or listen to one.

The point - the artist must get paid!

I'd prefer streaming websites as long as I've unlimited access to the Internet. The collection I've built is mostly through Flipkart's free MP3 it offered on their anniversary ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    But if I share it with a website that streams the songs, I can cut a deal with the website to pay me 40% of the advertising revenues the song generates every month.

Got an <๐Ÿ˜” Edited ๐Ÿ˜”> idea,
    what if websites will give you a deal, that you will get the music download for free, if you happens to click 10 ('n' number of) advertises shown on the webpage,

They will get revenue that can be shared with the artist, It will solve advertising companies motive, Quite possible consumer will get some good deal out of those advertisements if not, definitely he will get music for free.

so how does the idea sound like??

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Which advertiser, in his/her right mind, will pay the publisher to asks the users to click on the advertisements? Advertisers want genuine clicks - from people who are genuinely interested in the products/services he/she is offering. The model you're proposing was tried, but it failed. Google even punishes the publishers who encourage their visitors to click on the ads.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Downloading and streaming are two different things! So streaming is legal and downloading is not.

I asked my friend who downloads songs saying that its illegal, then he told me that i am paying for my internet connection and if someone is doing a illegal activity , they should stop not me! was the answer! quite funny it was.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    English-Scared
    I asked my friend who downloads songs saying that its illegal, then he told me that i am paying for my internet connection and if someone is doing a illegal activity , they should stop not me! was the answer! quite funny it was.
    It was not !
    Downloading from illegal source is wrong.

Streaming from a source that is legal and allowing you to listen for free is legal and not adds to list of piracy.

-CB
  • Yajus
    Yajus
    I think that the companies nowadays are giving the option of downloading unlimited music themselves, that to for free. If the companies are giving this facility to us and they do not have any issue in providing us with free music, then i think that this topic can come to an end.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Join me in congratulating CEan Abhishek Rawal for his victory in CEan Of The Month Battle in the month of July 2013. Abhishek's score surged past 20,000 points -...
TATA is desperate to push up the sales, so much so that it's bringing into play its many smart ideas which the company believes shall extract results. Selling TATA Nano...
CEans - we've been running the CEoM (web) App for over a month now. The app, performs just we expected it to perform. However, it can certainly be made better....
Microsoft can't just afford to ignore the growing dominance of the Android platform all over the world. With over a billion Android devices active in the world, Microsoft must conquer...
Terrafugia is one of the interesting automobile projects - that aims to turn a car into a flying machine with some crazy engineering. We'd call it a 'foldable' plane. Until...