Doubt in PC start up.

We know that when we start our PC BIOS locate DOS to HDD memory
for its execution if Hard Disk is not present than RAM would be the second option.
So my question is that,
Is it possible to start up a PC without attaching RAM and Hard Disk drive to it?
If yes than what is the internal mechanism behind it.

Correct me if I am wrong!

๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    I guess it is not possible to start your PC without a RAM.

But without a HDD, it is possible, provided you have another boot device.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    yes, like gaurav said. u cant start a computer without the ram. a hard disk can be subsituted by a flash drive or a cd or even a floppy. but ram is necessary. else bios will beep and wont let the computer start
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    optimystix
    yes, like gaurav said. u cant start a computer without the ram. a hard disk can be subsituted by a flash drive or a cd or even a floppy. but ram is necessary. else bios will beep and wont let the computer start
    hi optimystix,
    please let me explain why bios will beep if we start pc without ram is my pc want to load our drivers in bios.
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    optimystix
    Why BIOS beep what the concept behind it,could u please make me understood.
    and i also want to know that is there any memory in the BIOS?

Is there any another reason which makes BIOS to beep?

If i repeatedly start PC without attaching any HDD and RAM will it has any effect on BIOS, does it makes my motherboad dead?

๐Ÿ˜’
  • kgfouts
    kgfouts
    Ram is necessary. You could use a disk or a flash stick, but ram is needed. If you try it you'll here a series of beeps.

KF

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Has anyone tried this software Widen: Digital Asset Management Solutions ?
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    There is a distinction between a motherboard "posting" and the computer "booting". The motherboard may beep even though it fails to "post". The BIOS chip itself has enough memory to store the program that runs to "post". This program can detect if no RAM chips are present and will beep to indicate this and various other errors. (There are different "beep codes" for different errors.) Most motherboards also beep when they post successfully. After the motherboard posts then it tries to boot. This when MS-DOS or the kernel of Windows or Linux etc. is loaded from some source (hard drive, flash drive, network). It isn't correct to think that "DOS" is always loaded into memory, if you mean Microsoft DOS.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    sushant005
    Why BIOS beep what the concept behind it,could u please make me understood.
    and i also want to know that is there any memory in the BIOS?

Is there any another reason which makes BIOS to beep?

If i repeatedly start PC without attaching any HDD and RAM will it has any effect on BIOS, does it makes my motherboad dead?

๐Ÿ˜’
    Bios stands for basic input/output system.It is a boot program stored on a ROM(use EPROM lately, advanced type of ROM). This bios stored on the EPROM is often called as the BIOS chip. If it is required to be updated, it has to be flashed(formatted) using an appropriate software and then the new program written on the EPROM chip.

when u power on your computer, a POST(power on self test.) is performed. As the name suggests, it does self testing of various components to check whether all the components are working properly or not. If it is working properly, it will give a single beep and continue with the booting process. Remember that there are different companies making BIOS chips and some of their beep codes differ. So its wise to check the bios type(can be checked in bios screen by pressing delete key after starting the pc or on the 1st boot screen itself). AMI, IBM, Award,Phoenix are popular BIOS chip making firms.

The link given explains POST and the beep codes nicely. Check it Computer POST and Beep Codes

In short a BIOS may cause to beep once to indicate that it has completed POST successfully and is continuing into normal boot process or else it might boot different codes of long and short beeps to indicate an error. You can recognise the error by matching the beep with the code in the link given above. In most cases, the problem arises with the RAM only. Removing the rams, cleaning the golden contact points with a pencil eraser and puttung them back will solve the problem.(never touch with naked hands. static charge may kill ur ram. hold the rams by the edges).

in case the bios gets corrupt, it can be reset to default by removing the battery on the motherboard for a min or so and putting it back. or better still the Jumper %28Computing%29 can be cleared by putting in the right configuration(depends on the BIOS).

BIOS is a helping mechanism which assists us by doing the POST and letting us know if everything is fine to continue starting the computer. Thus helps us in diagnosing problems and rectifying them.

The BIOS screen(press delete key after starting computer) gives access to a lot more information to the user. Allowing the user to modify the setting suiting to his/her needs(eg. overclocking).

The BIOS is a chip and thus can become dead due to various reason. If dead, the motherboard wont proceed with booting unless it POSTs. So the BIOS chip can be removed and replaced with a new one and flashing it appropriately with updated firmware.

Remember, the BIOS is like the watchman of a building. He checks the entrants(components here) for issues and will let them pass if secure. If there exists an issue then he wont let them pass and will raise an alarm (will beep in this case). The appropriate step can then be taken.
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Starting your computer without RAM or hard drive should not permanently damage the motherboard. Did you do this accidentally, sushant005?
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    tashirosgt
    Starting your computer without RAM or hard drive should not permanently damage the motherboard. Did you do this accidentally, sushant005?
    no i haven't done it accidentally ,i just want to know that does it has any effect on motherboaed or not.
    you told that it doesn't have any permenent effect does it have any temporary effect if yes than what?
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    I don't know exactly what you would mean by a temporary effect. Can you give an example of what temporary effect concerns you? To me, the temporary effect is that the motherboard won't post.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    starting a pc without hard disk or ram or any other component has NO efect on the BIOS, whether temporary or permanent.
    A bios can go bad in under 2 conditions:
    * the BIOS(EPROM) chip is damaged due to electricy/power issues with the motherboard or the psu
    * a faulty flash/updating of bios program
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    optimystix
    starting a pc without hard disk or ram or any other component has NO efect on the BIOS, whether temporary or permanent.
    A bios can go bad in under 2 conditions:
    * the BIOS(EPROM) chip is damaged due to electricy/power issues with the motherboard or the psu
    * a faulty flash/updating of bios program
    thank you,
    now can you explain me from where these beeps come form.
    is it from bios or from what?
    ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends, actually we are working on a project related to lock system of a car. we want to know whether there is any micro-controller or any other module is...
The actual data that can be stored in a pen drive is actually less than that specified,as in if a pen drive is of 2gb ,it has the storage capacity...
please tell me the way of conversion detail, from source code to object code of a programme.:wink: please give me detailed information about this topic.:wink:
I am studying Electrical Btech 2nd year from IIT-R, India. Please suggest me a good book for DC machines. Fitzgerald had just 1 chapter on it which is unable to...
You may have heard of the Connection Machine. This was/is a massively parallel system in which the processors communicate with each other via a comms net, which has a hypercube...