Doubt about magnetic waves

now earth has a magnetic field. it has north pole and soth pole.
this creates a dipole. it is said that earth's dipole works as a bar magnet
thus there are magnetic waves that emit from them..
my uncle said magnetic waves come only from north pole not south pole. dat does'nt sound right to me. can someone clear it out to me ?
i think both the poles should emit waves am i right???

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Magnets do not emit any waves. In fact there is no wave at all. If there were to be a wave it has an energy and that much energy will be lost to the emitting body. This means that in time the body will cease to be a magnet. What a magnet has is a field.
    Here is a depiction:
    [​IMG]

Actually there is no sanctity about North and South. This was given as a convenient label. The field is continuously distributed between thee South and North pole. A better description will be a torus (Doughnut) sort of figure with different intensity of the field at different points of the torus.
    Have a look here:
    [​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hii guys, i am a 2nd year student pursuing ECE. I want to do a project which is innovative. can anybody help me?
Robotics technology are totally a vast area, more you search more you get. I want to stay updated the latest inventions in this area. Is there any good resource?
hi, pls suggest me paper presentation topics in the following fields......embedded systems,vlsi,communication,signals & systems, microwaves.............. its very urgent cause i hav to sumit it by 18th feb pls friends help...
Hai friends, I need a design for a circuit which will switch off the motor at once it attains a critical speed.I f any one have any such idea please...
Here is a Sedgeway kind of mobile robot that lets you interact in real time anywhere in the world without flying there. With intuitive controls and touch screens it is...