Don't you think Indian People give too much prominence to Engineers?

As you people know, every Indian Parents wants their son to be an Engineer, every Indian parent wants their daughter to marry an engineer too. Isn't this foolish? There are huge number of Engineers in India. I don't think its a big deal now. I feel Engineers deserved that recognition if it was 1970's or 80's, but not now.

In my opinion, an Engineer here is an equivalent to any other degree holder. Why do the people regard them(/us) so much? What do you say?

Thought Provoking, Isn't it?

Replies

• max0077
    max0077
    #-Link-Snipped-# agree with you..engineers are totally same like other professionals but in india people give very hype to engineers; every parent wants their children to become either an engineer or a doctor..We have a saying in bangalore "if you throw a stone in any road here it'll either hit a dog or a software engineer"😛
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    I'm expecting some more opinions in the debate. On a less important topic, i dont know why all software engineers and companies settle in Bangalore.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    I definitely agree to this fact and that seems to be main reason for menacing careers of those who pursue engineering out of craze or just because they are 'literally' compelled by their parents.

One of the chief distinguishing features that can never be overlooked is that parents force their children to pursue engineering just because their friend's child is pursuing the same. In this manner not only do they fail to recognise the true potential of their child but also make him drive on the road leading to nowhere. These students continue to suffer at the hands of their professors throughout their course duration only to be implanted in a situation where their future is not even worthy to be discussed, let alone the security aspects.

It's not only the parents who responsible for the above situations, children too hold equal share. The economic status of the middle class and the government policies are such that every one wants to have a sense of security regarding their future owing to which they fail to rate their true calliber(interest) and to a step aside from the normal trend. They make a vague attempt to fit in while they were actually born to stand out. This is the sheer truth that is often given a second thought and hence more or less placed at the back seat. These flaws in selection of engineering as a career leads to numerous newspapers reporting suicides by engineering on a day to day basis.

Despite these facts, the irony remains that these are the graduates that are actually looked up as the creator of a better generation and technology. I wonder how is it possible? Students who are not prepared for such a professional course actually end up their course without harnessing their true potential for their as well as nation's benefits. Now such incidents do also reveal that there ought to be a proper counseling system to ensure that adequate and fair guidance is given to students before they actually take up this course and to ensure that those who are not seriously interested in the course are discouraged from picking up one. Only in this can the productivity of engineering institutions and engineers alike.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Great points proffy.

Having studied engineering, one can always use transferable skills to enter a different job market. Even if engineering is not their passion, its not too late to do something else later along in life.

mreccentric
    ...every Indian parent wants their daughter to marry an engineer too
    Isn't this good? 😛 Being in good books with in-laws is a positive thing 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here in India, engineering is just a quick way to ensure that you're a job. The importance is basically given to ability of the person to 'settle down' as quickly as possible in life - and engineering allows that to happen in many cases. That's why engineering has a lot of importance in Indian society.

It offers everything: You can call yourself educated, graduate and the society in general thinks you make good amount of money.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I was a little misled by the title. Because if you consider US citizens - there an engineer is given a lot of 'prominence' than other degree holders. An engineer is looked at with respect. And I think they've earned it with the quality against the quantity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how to get that equation ,pls help me to how to solve n get that equation.
Quote: Read about 7 Awesome Engineering Inspirations Starting today and throughout Engineers Week, Knovel will highlight 7 inspirational solutions engineers have designed and built that are totally awesome! Read our...
Considering solar reflection, what material should prove to be best option? I have option of chrome steel & mirror but I want more if possible. Because mirror don't provide flexibility....
this project already done by many people. but i have a doubt in this who know this project well ... please help me to complete this project
HELLO ENGINEERS i m a computer science final year student please tell me some best project in php which is based on research.