Does ubuntu compete with Windows?

There are very few user of ubuntu as compared to windows.As we all know that Windows are very well known in terms of ease of use and functionality.And in favour of ubuntu it is free to download, free to use and also free to distribute.It also provides an enhanced desktop experience,simplifies backup, synchronization, and sharing of files etc
So Do you imagine that Ubuntu could be what Windows is today?
If yes then what make ubuntu to compete windows?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    uBuntu competes with Windows, but the acceptance of Windows is so large that I don't see uBuntu replacing Windows as primary OS on desktops worldwide. Microsoft has a large team that sells Windows operating system to corporates which becomes main business for MS.

By the way, uBuntu and similar flavors dominate the server world. Majority of web servers around the world run Linux based OS.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    The_Big_K
    uBuntu competes with Windows, but the acceptance of Windows is so large that I don't see uBuntu replacing Windows as primary OS on desktops worldwide.
    But sir linux team already tied up with the Dell and have recently tie up with simmtronics to provide netbooks pre-installed with uBuntu.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sushant005
    But sir linux team already tied up with the Dell and have recently tie up with simmtronics to provide netbooks pre-installed with uBuntu.
    Well, those machines will be bought by only those who want to use Linux; which is a small fraction of the computer users. Lot of people prefer Windows (and aren't aware of other OS) which comes preinstalled with most of the branded machines.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Marketing strategies do matter a lot. Microsoft invests a lot more on advertising, and Ubuntu makers on the other hand cannot afford to spend more on advertising because they offer Ubuntu for free.

And as Biggie said, many people aren't aware of other OSes present than Windows. People have been using Windows since so many years and most of them prefer to continue with it as they are very well versed with the user interface.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, i work on catia analysis. the run for even simple file takes a lot of memory and a lot of time for computations.the result files obtained are of...
I was reading in Google news about protests in India over the price of fuel. How is fuel priced in India? In the USA, prices vary across the country. The...
i am doing a final year mini project and i want to know some cost estimation and some ideas of the project 😕 1.paper counting machine 2.fabrication of pneumatic paper...
Those who are thinking about starting out on their own, should pay attention to how simple-yet-useful ideas can help you start your own startup. Look at PhoneCurry - a startup...
Inflation is on the rise, the price rise is on the prowl and the common man is dying. Well... not until Crazy Engineers are alive... 😎 Does it sound like...