Does Router Broadcast?

Can someone inform me the basics of router and how does a router brodcast signal, if it actually does?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Check if this #-Link-Snipped-# helps.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    when u say broadcast> is it l2 broadcast or l3 broadcast? please be more specific on your question.as well just to add up? are you refering to l3 control packets or data packets?
  • pawanpreet singh
    pawanpreet singh
    I wanna know about both L2 and L3 broadcast .. plz give me full description about it ..
  • pawanpreet singh
    pawanpreet singh
    pawanpreet singh
    I wanna know about both L2 and L3 broadcast .. plz give me full description about it ..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think these lecture notes would help - #-Link-Snipped-#

From what I know, there are two broadcast addresses one for each layer:
    1. At layer 2 there is a broadcast address for MAC address which is always FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.
    2. At layer 3 there is a broadcast address for the IP address. This is not independent and is related to the mask value associated.

Correct me if I am wrong.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi pawan,

Simplest exmaple possible is as below
    L2 broadcasts are generally done when the mac address of a specific device is unknown.
    For example, in your given LAN you put a new switch and the switchs ARp table is currently empty . In this case, consider system A sends a packet to system B in same LAN, the switch does a source based mac address learning for A, but it is still unaware of location of B. That is when it sends out an Broadcast ARP message asking for a MAC ID associated with specific Ip address.
    I am not sure (at least till today) if routers actually do a broadcast at control plane. They really dont have to. Take this example-
    If the Ip address in my paket is available, then the router forwards the packet to the destination. If the Ip address is not available , it either drops the packet or sends it to default gateway based on other criteria as whether classful/classless ip scheme is used and whether a default gateway is considered so on...
    Yes, routers do a limited broadcast known as multicasting, where they send packets to multiple hosts at once. For example - Routers mutlicast routing updates for address like 225.0.0.9/10 for eigrp.
  • pawanpreet singh
    pawanpreet singh
    durga thnx for telling me ..

Pc .......>S1......>R1......>DHCP Server ..

Now tel me if PC needs an IP address and it broadcasts ..
    Will router forward it to DHCP server or not ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    😀. cisco has this configuration command 'ip helper address'.
    Whenever the PC sends a DHCP request, the router simply drops it. But when 'ip helper address x.x.x.x' is configured on the inbound interface of the R1 router , the packets are sent as unicast address for the specific x.x.x.x address/ in this case the DHCP server ip.

hope that answers your query
  • pawanpreet singh
    pawanpreet singh
    thnx durga for resolving my queries ..
  • vishakkv
    vishakkv
    no router stops broadcasting.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-# - does your statement "no router stops broadcastin " means "all routers broadcast" or
    it means - "no, routers stop broadcast"

please clarify and justify
  • pawanpreet singh
    pawanpreet singh
    I wanna ask one thing ..
    When we use SSH instead of telnet in switch then why do we need domain name command for configuring SSH .. I couldn't get " ip domain-name " command ..
    Plz clearify it ..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    the ssh token is combination of the domain name hostname and rsa. I will get back to you on this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai guys, i am a cse student. please give me ideas for mini project.
hey! i am pursuing b.tech,just entered 3rd year..should i start preparing for MBA or after 3rd year?
Hello,I want to learn MATLAB. From where can i start learning. please help me
Will somebody give a link to free download of ASTM?
Anybody is having LOOP-5 manual?