does reversing the polarity of inputs to an adaptor affects its working????

hey friends,my 12V adaptor was not working properly.on opening it i found that just input connections are needed to be soldered,so i did.but soon i connected it to supply,supply switch got a spark.......
i dont knw what's the reason,and wht to do now.whether i soldered input terminals reversely???????or there is some another cause.............plz help CEans,i need to fix it today.thanks in advance.๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hello Tsea,
    There are two reasons,
    1. Perhaps the wire was short due to improper soldering
    or
    2.You have reversed the polarity (Though I am personally inclined to first option) The second option is not the case I think. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Tarun Chauhan
    Tarun Chauhan
    ishutopre
    Hello Tsea,
    There are two reasons,
    1. Perhaps the wire was short due to improper soldering
    or
    2.You have reversed the polarity (Though I am personally inclined to first option) The second option is not the case I think. ๐Ÿ˜€

thanx for the rply ishutopre, m very sure that soldering is proper,i hv checked again.plz tell me how reversing a polarity may result in such spark.thanks in advance. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Is this the very diagram which you are referring? [โ€‹IMG]

Well If yes, the I had an adapter which was not suitable to the voltage from the normal socket. So I had to buy a new one. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    tsea
    thanx for the rply ishutopre, m very sure that soldering is proper,i hv checked again.plz tell me how reversing a polarity may result in such spark.thanks in advance. ๐Ÿ˜€
    first please stop using sms language and coming to your doubt up to my knowledge if we connect in reverse polarity there will occur some short circuit there so it will act as short circuit as it is having sudden stop there occurs some spark like in arcs
  • Tarun Chauhan
    Tarun Chauhan
    narayana murthy
    first please stop using sms language and coming to your doubt up to my knowledge if we connect in reverse polarity there will occur some short circuit there so it will act as short circuit as it is having sudden stop there occurs some spark like in arcs
    first of all,sorry narayana i'll remember this.thanks ishutopre and narayana for your usefull suggestions ๐Ÿ˜€ CEans are best !!!
  • Tarun Chauhan
    Tarun Chauhan
    hey friends,i found that input wire has a small cut through which it was touching transformer's core and hence resulting in short.insulating it did the job perfectly.what i also found is reversing the polarity has no effect on working of adaptor(i reversed it and checked),but basically a 12V adaptor am using is i think simply a device with a step down transformer and some device to convert AC into DC i.e a diode.according to me a diode should not work on reversing its supply voltage(as it will get reversed biased),then how reversing the supply has no effects on working of adaptor.........??????
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    It is A.C you reversed not dc so no matter you reversed the A.C, it should be having both polarity. This A.C is then stepped down and then given to diode which allows one polarity and block other polarity. Here we got the stepped down D.C supply.
    tsea
    hey friends,i found that input wire has a small cut through which it was touching transformer's core and hence resulting in short.insulating it did the job perfectly.what i also found is reversing the polarity has no effect on working of adaptor(i reversed it and checked),but basically a 12V adaptor am using is i think simply a device with a step down transformer and some device to convert AC into DC i.e a diode.according to me a diode should not work on reversing its supply voltage(as it will get reversed biased),then how reversing the supply has no effects on working of adaptor.........??????
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well, Praba said it. It is AC so only option 1 was correct. Nice explanation Praba. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Tarun Chauhan
    Tarun Chauhan
    thanks praba and ishutopre,i got it.......... ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friend's I need some help from css experts. Actually i want to create a dynamic 3 column page whose middle column varies according to the content in them.But the...
can any one help to write a java code using patterns for the below project i'm not able to start the project plzzz help me you will have to simulate...
i am trying to write and read a simple program using these codes. writing code seems to work fine,it prompts for data and after it terminates properly.but the reading code...
When exactly should we replace the bearings of vehicle wheels? How to know whether bearings are to be replaced? What exactly/How exactly ball bearings work in Cars and other vehicles?...
i m final year project please help me out in selecting some topics for my major project....