Does AIR inside a vehicle resists it in its Motion?

I was thinking about this question for a long time since i started my Mechanical degree.. please help me out.

note: i meant the air which enters the vehicle during its motion.

Replies

• vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Your question isn't clear enough!
  • gohm
    gohm
    Are you refering to having the windows down creating extra resistance/drag?
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    don't understand your question.....please be specific and more clear........
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    This will depend on the speed of the vehicle. If you're talking about speeds around 50 kph or less, then no it will not have a significant effect.

However, at typical highway speeds any disturbance in the flow of air over the vehicle will cause resistance to motion. At high speeds, even the smallest break in the streamline motion of the air over the vehicle will can cause resistance to motion, called drag.

according to a study, in the united states alone billions of dollars worth of fuel is wasted by vehicles in overcoming drag!!

more info here:

#-Link-Snipped-#)

[ADDENDUM]

Drag is one of the reasons F1 teams spend millions on perfecting their car. Supercomputers are used to perform CFD analysis, which costs a lot of dough!! This is because increasing speed of the car can be done in 3 ways mainly, develop a powerful engine or develop a light chassis, or reduce the drag on the vehicle..doing the third one is generally cheaper then the other two..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, Can we develop ERP based applications using V.net. If so, what technology to use. Thanks in advance. Regards, dinesh
Look at this, folks - [youtube]0g_RQZ-ntSw[/youtube] Awesome, what say you?
Name: tvnseee *Engineering Trade:electrical and electronics engineering Location: visakhapatnam *Occupation: (Student) B.E EEE 3/4 *Hobbies & Interests: very interested in getting to know new things and concepts *Aim in life:...
hello can i get assistance in getting more details about the superonducting machines.......... like more relevant content regarding the future of these machines and their drawbacks....... most importantly their applications
hi, This is Rajanmr from Chennai., India. i am doing my final year MCA in distance education in Anna University. My final year project is : Speech enabled GPS navigtor...