Does "Ahimsa" work in modern times?

The question is pretty straightforward. We need world peace. Do you think the solution lies in Ahimsa?

Why?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You mean, being a sort of pacifist?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    i believe a modified concept of ahimsa might work allright..one where you tolerate things to make sure the situation does not get out of hand, but at the same time have the capability to stop a situation from getting out of hand..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    You mean, being a sort of pacifist?
    Sort of.

mad_scientist
    i believe a modified concept of ahimsa might work allright..one where you tolerate things to make sure the situation does not get out of hand, but at the same time have the capability to stop a situation from getting out of hand..
    Could you please elaborate it, possible with an example?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    you're being teased by a dude..you don't want to fight him, so you ignore him. But if he threatens you with a knife, you tackle him and take his knife away..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What if you're unable to tackle him properly and he manages to knife you?

Does ignoring always work? Perhaps some nice talk could work before physical action is needed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I'm trying to figure out is whether there's workaround available in the principles of Ahimsa.

If I get attacked, I'd rather opt for self defense - which may involve counter attack. Ash's point is valid.

Or is there something we are failing to understand about Ahimsa? Anyone?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    yes, of course i agree. before tackling, you should exhaust all your civil options, talking sense, maybe seeking intervention from a third party, but when all else fails you have to protect your existence by any means..

and when i say make sure you have the capability to prevent a situation from getting out of hand i mean it (consider you're a rugby player ๐Ÿ˜ for the example)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Biggie, can you describe in detail the principles of Ahimsa if you dont mind?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Biggie, can you describe in detail the principles of Ahimsa if you dont mind?
    ๐Ÿ˜’ I don't know. "Principles of Ahimsa" just popped up in my mind out of nowhere. Sorry. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I mean, a definition of it ๐Ÿ˜› So, its basically abstaining against ALL forms of violence to resolve issues?
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    ya 'ahimsa' work but after a fight..... 'ahimsa' is only suitable for powerful for weak one it has no grounds.....
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    World peace? War is no longer fought to resolve issues. War is fought as a means to a materialistic gain, money, oil, etc fueled by greed and insecurity, one leading to another. The psychological behavior of each individual has to be addressed to contain such emotions. Simply 'ahimsa' cannot solve this issue. Because ahimsa dictates that there be a willingness to solve a problem. Greed and insecurity leave no place in a mans mind for willingness.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Muffy
    World peace? War is no longer fought to resolve issues.
    Tell me Muffy, which war was fought to resolve issues? And what exaactly do you mean by issues, which are other than the "greed and insecurity" of humans?

Regarding the debate question put up by Biggie, my answer is "Yes and No". And I won't be elaborating further, but will just listen or rather read the debate.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Yes it is a formula that always works.
    The best one i think!!!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I personally don't believe in Ahimsa.
    Its just an ideal principle. Its success rate highly depends on the pschological aspect of the community or the person on which it is applied.

The Viceroy at the time of independence was once asked that was Gandhiji the cause of independence? He replied in one voice, "Gandhi was not the cause, it was mass movement because of the outrage developed by Bhagat Singh & co-revolutionaries like Subash Chandra Bose etc."

It will better for you to learn some martial-arts rather than preaching Gandhi's ideas in today's times.
    As the Lord Krishna has said in Gita, - Devils should be treated in devilish manner, I firmly believe in it.
    One should behave as per the situation.
    I'm not saying that means "eye for an eye" but "iron cuts iron".
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    I don't know if ahimsa could exactly work at the present scenario.๐Ÿ˜”
    it is not that i do not support it but i have a doubt on its power.๐Ÿ˜•
  • madugula
    madugula
    i believe in ash's point. always we cannot predict the mind set and emotions of people. i think ahimsa doesn't work these days. i still keep thinking that "did we get independence because of the principle of ahimsa or there is nothing more left for the britishers to take away from us? and so they left India."
  • Vega
    Vega
    Well, what I believe in is that as far as possible, one should try to avoid violance. But is cases, where it is not possible to avoid it, and in cases where violance can be justified, one should go for it. Now people can have differences in if violance can be avioded in certain situations. Some will say it can be while others will disagree it. A mean way should be found out in such situations to go ahead with minimum violance.

There is another point here. "Violance with whom". If an apparently violent action kills 5 bad people to save 1 good person, I will go for it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I thought I'd add in some additional questions, so our responses will be holistic. Also, analogies are highly encouraged, just like MaRo has done. - What is the significance of...
please send me full information about this...... SMS Based automatic vehicle accident information system
Hai friends..! Today, I wrote my Internal exam of Data Communications subject. It seems very easy. And I like to share the questions with our CEans. 1) Differentiate LAN ,...
Here's a quick tutorial that will help you setup mail forwarding in your CE Mail account. What is Mail Forwarding? Answer: When a mail arrives in your CE mailbox, it...
Read this post: Wisdom in hindsight: Entrepreneurship thrives in a recession I especially liked this - Logically any sane, rational person would prefer the security of a salaried job, during...