Do you think students don't give due respect to teachers/Professors in recent times ?

I have seen modern students are not respecting teachers & professors anymore. This New Generation students are thinking as all teachers & professors are dumb , and assumes that they don't know anything of modern world.
I have even heard students calling them by "name". Dont you think the holy relation between Guru & Student is all dissolving ? Values,Morals & Ethics no longer exists ?
Should we blame our education system ? In early stages of school,our education system is not willing to educate children with values, morals & ethics .. but most probably students are taught "How to cram" .

Any thoughts friends ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Respect has to be earned.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Even the rowdiest of people bow their heads before teachers or mentors from whom they see a shining ray of light. After so many years of leaving school, we still remember that one teacher who made a difference to our lives - we never think-of call him/her by name. It comes from within as a token of gratitude.
    Just like every other individual, a teacher has to earn respect.

Students today have teachers who are only 3-4 years elder to themselves and are found to be in this profession just because they couldn't land a job anywhere else. Whattay wrong approach!
    'Teaching' is the most respectable profession and the most responsible one too. We can't blame the students entirely for the situation.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    True.In my B.Tech. if lectures was good, everyone of us respect him lot.
    and teacher is good or not everyone of them must have a nickname😁
    and on question calling by name . If you go to NID,Ahmedabad it's a rule to call everyone by name even to director. And NID is in top 3 design colleges of the world.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    true that 😀

AbraKaDabra
    Students today have teachers who are only 3-4 years elder to themselves and are found to be in this profession just because they couldn't land a job anywhere else. Whattay wrong approach!
    I totally agree on this. Sometimes we know that 2-3 year elder teachers are teaching us wrong .. so we tell them that its wrong & they think that we are arguing with them & insulting them & questioning their skills.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    only two things are infinite, The universe and Human Stupidity
    -Albert Einstein
    The_Big_K
    AbraKaDabra
    Even the rowdiest of people bow their heads before teachers or mentors from whom they see a shining ray of light. After so many years of leaving school, we still remember that one teacher who made a difference to our lives - we never think-of call him/her by name. It comes from within as a token of gratitude.
    Just like every other individual, a teacher has to earn respect.

'Teaching' is the most respectable profession and the most responsible one too. We can't blame the students entirely for the situation.
    I totally agree with you two...!! 😀
    In my opinion Modern children are able to identify the stupidity of some teachers and thus they don't give then respect....(no offence! 😛) A law must be made that all teachers have to write competitive exams to get themselves a teaching profession just like how we write competitive exams..! 😛 lol..!
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    surely the respect has to be earned.
    the age difference doesn't matters but its the knowledge and interaction with students.
    sometimes even young teachers gain respect but sometimes even the experienced ones don't get respect due to their attitude and old thinking that "hamare time me to aisa hota tha, etc."
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This happenes only with the professor who are not good in teaching or in knowledge I remember in Our college some of students used to insult every time when those professor used to ask questions in calss while there were two three very nice professor that group has never misses any class of that younger but powerful professor.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Like others have said above, respect has to be earned. It is not something you can order around. I have seen good teachers being respected automatically by students. A good teacher could be one with a good behaviour, good teaching skills, good domain and/or technical knowledge etc.

According to me, these days it is these teachers who are responsible for cases where students dont respect them. Either they do not have proper knowledge on the subject they teach, aren't good at maintaining proper decorum between them and the students or maybe, like others have mentioned, have bad attitude towards teaching and the students in general.

Like Ankita mentioned, most BE/BTech pass outs opt for teaching as it is an easier alternative for getting a job or even for those who want to study for post graduation. It is them who do not respect the profession and end up not getting any respect from the students in turn. What they do not understand is that being a BE/BTech graduate does not mean they become good teachers. Having knowledge and being able to express them are two different things. There is a proper degree for those who want to learn and qualify in the art of 'teaching'. People are not stupid to go and do BEd without any reason. They are trained to be teachers. The engg. system has to change. Just being BTech/BE or MTech/ME doesnt help. One has to have the gift/technique of sharing the knowledge they possess and only then can they be called good teachers. If one can teach well and the student understand, they will automatically get the respect they deserve
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    It depends on the professor's teaching style. If a person, keeps on reading whats there in the book. The students thought automatically changes about the professor and respect on them automatically comes down.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Taking cue from this thread : https://www.crazyengineers.com/community/threads/most-encouraging-words-youve-ever-heard.57592/ I thought we can have one for the opposite too. Words sometimes hurt more than actions. Share the words that have discouraged you...
Apple's latest OSX offers Airdrop facility to share files between computers in near proximity. I'm looking for the maximum supported range. It just doesn't always work if the two OSX...
k.arunchary sr.hardwar engg self and working 2years in embedded systems to became prof.in electronincs in CE i found advance and new technology such that i can update my self in...
I see a lot of people get confused between Its and It's. I figured out an easy way to remember the correct usage and here it is - Its: Of...
here is the link where u can get information"https://docs.media.bitpipe.com/io_10x/io_101622/item_447918/VG.pdf".