Do you think piracy is overraated?

A lot is being said everywhere about piracy. We need to have a better understanding of piracy!

Case 1: I buy an ebook/movie from an authorized vendor. I make the movie available for download on my website or make copies of it and distribute it freely among my friends.

That is an example of piracy, right?

Case 2: I borrow a text book from my friend and study from it. I never buy a new book. I then share the book with my friends.

Is that piracy too?

But most of us have been sharing books among our friends. So are we all a part of piracy?

What do you say?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    If you are not making copies of your friend's book and selling it in the market or among your friend cricle, then it is not at all piracy I guess.
  • rishna
    rishna
    yes according to me Case 2 is also part of piracy.
    well i'll tell you why..i think buying a single cd and group of people watching it, is similar to sharing a book among friends.

infact i think pirating a Movie in a way brings business. While sharing a book will never, its a loss.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, did some people complain about lending books as piracy? Thats ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with lending books, as long as there is an opportunity cost of doing so.. that is, having no access to it once someone else uses it.

If you duplicate it without permission from the author or publisher, then thats another issue, and will be considered piracy. Remember, piracy stems from copyright infringement.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yep i agree with Ash.

Lending a book and reading it is not at all piracy if and only if the book is original ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • gohm
    gohm
    Right, lending is not piracy. Otherwise all the video rental businesses would be commiting piracy along with anyone who loans a media form. To me, as long as you are not receiving profits (direct or indirect) from sharing the media I do not consider it piracy. It can be copyright infringement though, which is something totally different. That involves duplication with intent of distribution without the holder's consent.

If you copy a media without the copyright holder's consent (and usually paying them royalty) and distribute it for free that is copyright infringement. If you charge for the said media, again without authorization, now you have also committed piracy.
  • CEMember
    CEMember
    Hey buddy Y-Not, I have a doubt or may be I am not clear ๐Ÿ˜• "Is buying a single cd and group of people watching " comes under piracy crime? If so then why people make CDs, just to make the show piece in a shop?

Please clear my doubt ๐Ÿ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Nope,piracy still very much underrated,many new software/games launched in market get pirated within seconds and are available for download ,those forums claims them to be sharing but the company developing them suffer huge revenue loses on the brighter side piracy helps popularising e.g Microsoft Windows
  • gohm
    gohm
    Arrr, shiver me timbers me land lubbing mateys. I've not heard of pirating says I. Nor my parrot. While I hobble over on my peg leg to rest a spell with some grog, please tell me all abouts the ways of this piracy thing? yo-ho!

=)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Avast! yer ar addled and a disgrace to the rest of me hearties. Walk the plank me says!
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well,it is very much underrated,just check out those markets were they sell pirated stuffs,even employees of those companies by thier own companies product through these channels and many top-notch software cos purposely encourage them!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey can any1 tell me wat is output voltage of an electric guitar and a synth??? we know for microphone it can be 2mv or something lik dat.i want to...
Are you looking for a chance to make your mark in the world of journalism? Do you have the passion to report news? Are you looking for a platform to...
I had a talk with xheavenlyx and we have decided that it is long time since we had a meet in Delhi(We haven't had any actually). ๐Ÿ˜Ž How about one...
can i build a .dll file using turbo C compiler in C language? If yes, then can anyone tell me how to do this.
Bracknell, UK, 12 March 2009: 3Mโ€™s Oil & Gas business in the UK today announced the launch of a new compact DNV 2.7-1 rated Cuno High Flow Triplex skid. Available...