Do you think Nokia Drive is better than Google maps

We know whatever Google does they strive for the best. When it comes to the Google maps, few months back they were unchallenged winners no matter we talk about PC or mobile, tablets or phablets.

NG

However now scenario is changing and at least one noteworthy challenging player is emerging in market in form of Finnish mobile company NOKIA. Few of my friends that are Lumia owners are even saying that 'Nokia Drive' is better and reliable then Google maps. This all happened after Nokia's acquisition of NAVTEQ (in a whopping $8 billion). NAVTEQ are specialized in satellite navigation systems.

Nokia Drive's ability to function in offline mode gives it a positive node. In comparison to Google Maps that needs a working data connection. From UI to sheer responsiveness, Nokia Drive is more convenient to use.

Many of you now feel like I am becoming biased, However these are my personal view after using Google maps on Samsung Galaxy S2 and Nokia Drive on Lumia series.

What are your views?

-CB

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google Maps, Forever!

Anil Jain
    Nokia Drive's ability to function in offline mode gives it a positive node. In comparison to Google Maps that needs a working data connection. From UI to sheer responsiveness, Nokia Drive is more convenient to use.
    I don't think that's positive node, because i think, maps gives accurate location only when it is constantly in-sync with GPS. I wonder, is it really possible to give accurate location of place without using GPS ?
    Well, with Nokia drive you can access entire map without internet access, but it won't update you with location like it does in Google maps.

For eg : I have Nokia Drive, and I wanna go to X location to Y location, can Nokia drive show me path with offline mode ? I guess not, because for that it should be using GPS, right ?
    However, I see good competition between Nokia Drive & Google Maps, this will just help Google to improve even more. They perform well when there's competition.
  • rohanrockxxx
    rohanrockxxx
    Anil Jain
    We know whatever Google does they strive for the best. When it comes to the Google maps, few months back they were unchallenged winners no matter we talk about PC or mobile, tablets or phablets.

NG

However now scenario is changing and at least one noteworthy challenging player is emerging in market in form of Finnish mobile company NOKIA. Few of my friends that are Lumia owners are even saying that 'Nokia Drive' is better and reliable then Google maps. This all happened after Nokia's acquisition of NAVTEQ (in a whopping $8 billion). NAVTEQ are specialized in satellite navigation systems.

Many of you now feel like I am becoming biased, However these are my personal view after using Google maps on Samsung Galaxy S2 and Nokia Drive on Lumia series.

What are your views?

-CB

All said and done, both the apps go head-to-head in terms of features. Google maps still provide great satellite imagery, places of interest, and a fun social aspect. However, if you're looking for voice-guided navigation, Nokia's offline service is unmatched.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google Maps, Forever!
    However, I see good competition between Nokia Drive & Google Maps, this will just help Google to improve even more. They perform well when there's competition.
    I am telling you my personal hands-on experience when I used both of the maps application on the same route at the same time and Nokia Drive was giving much better results than Google Maps.

Any other takers??

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    But, since Nokia drive is only for Windows phones & it has minimum share in smartphone domain compared to Android & iOS which uses Google maps.
    I guess, MS should make available this app for iOS & Android, if they're really planning to take over Google Maps.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I completely second you on this.

Actually Nokia drive is using NAVTEQ that have specialization in satellite navigation systems. Also, another truth is Nokia has limited market share so VERRYY less folks are using this.

Microsoft is selling Lumia series with a key selling point as Nokia Drive as well, probably that's the reason they are not rolling it out for Android and iOS. However, later or sooner for making profit out of 8 billion NAVTEQ Acquisition deal they may roll it out for others as well.

-CB
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    NAVTEQ was acquired by Nokia in 2007. Nokia as a result had great voice-guided, 3D, vector offline navigation - in addition to what GMaps provide. However, they lack social features of Gmaps.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anil Jain
    Microsoft is selling Lumia series with a key selling point as Nokia Drive as well, probably that's the reason they are not rolling it out for Android and iOS.
    I wonder how many users really care about Maps app ?
    I don't really think people are that dumb to purchase Lumia or any MS phone just for a maps app.

How many other companies manufactures Windows phones apart from Nokia ? Sorry to say, but none of these lame strategies gonna work to increase Windows phone users & eventually when Tizen, Ubuntu touch & Sailfish enters mainstream by mid 2014, the Windows phone will reach at stage where BB is right now (if they don't improve)
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    but none of these lame strategies gonna work to increase Windows phone users & eventually when Tizen, Ubuntu touch & Sailfish enters mainstream by mid 2014,
    Dear Abhishek, I know you are deeply influenced by Linux / ubuntu and open source. However do you think it is necessary to have that include in each mobile discussion.

Since last few days on this forum; I have seen that you are keep mentioning that all the devices are going to feel heat once Tizen, Ubuntu touch & Sailfish enters. That's not fair on existing ones, these devices are not junk right?

Let you favorite devices come in market and prove them,

Sorry if I am sounding harsh.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anil Jain
    Since last few days on this forum; I have seen that you are keep mentioning that all the devices are going to feel heat once Tizen, Ubuntu touch & Sailfish enters. That's not fair on existing ones, these devices are not junk right?
    Sir, if i click on my profile & then on activity tab, I hardly see a post from last one week in which i am mentioning tizen,ubuntu,sailfish,etc.etc. are gonna 'feel the heat' or whatever shit that you're claiming, if I am wrong you can check that by yourself, because i am quite sure.

Anil Jain
    Sorry if I am sounding harsh.
    Not a big deal,sir.
    But, I will keep preaching opensource & mentioning it everywhere until I see opensource taking over the all software technology in the world (except games, because i know why they don't share source code of it).
    Just because some people don't like it, I can't stop talking about it.

But, if Biggie asks me to do so, since this is his website, I won't do it HERE! But I will still keep doing it at another place. See, can you live without oxygen ? Well Opensource is my oxygen.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    My Vote goes to Nokia Here Drive as I am owning a Lumia series.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    I won't do it HERE! But I will still keep doing it at another place. See, can you live without oxygen ? Well Opensource is my oxygen.
    Buddy, I agree that its your oxygen and you cant live without talking about it, But is it necessary criticizing others?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anil Jain
    Buddy, I agree that its your oxygen and you cant live without talking about it, But is it necessary criticizing others?
    Nope, it ain't necessary. But I like to do that.
    Also, something that is full of shit, must be offended. Closed source in one or other way is halting the innovation, more than that who knows if these apps have NSA/PRISM backdoor ? (Which is MS & Apple, as per me - atleast i have right to judge what i can like & what not, what to curse & what to embrace)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    -----------Forum Flames--------- 👎
    Drink Coffee, Be Happy ☕
  • lal
    lal
    "Nokia Drive's ability to function in offline mode
    gives it a positive node. In comparison to Google
    Maps that needs a working data connection."

I guess this should be because most new devices have a-GPS (assisted GPS), which needs a data connection to connect to a server which then improves positioning. A-GPS is enabled by default in most devices I guess. I think this can be fixed if you have enough offline map data downloaded and use regular 'GPS' instead of a-GPS. There sure is an option to disable a-GPS, right? I don't own an android device by the way, correct me if I'm wrong. Any how, for routing, you'll need a data connection on gmaps.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    For the record you can save offline Google Maps. Open google maps and type "OK Maps" and go. that map will saved for offline access.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Nokia pulls Here Maps from iTunes, says changes in iOS 7 harmed user experience.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am mechatronics engineering student. I am passionate about robotics. I found this site has a lot's latest science and technology. It is very usefull
Folks at Other World Computing have dismantled the Mac Pro 2013 model as part of tradition to reveal the various upgrade options the machine has to offer. But the most...
Not even few months back when 1024*768 was considers to be very rich resolution and only a few devices had that available. Today we have many phones in market that's...
Just wanted to write a short review of Flipkart's in-a-day delivery service. I ordered Netgear WN3000RP wireless range extender (wireless repeater) yesterday at about 2 PM. I decided to pay...
hi friends, in India iit & niits are the top band institutes for the engineering students and also iim for the management students. Every student wants to get access to...