Do You Think Codes Should Be Allowed To Copyright ?

The title says it all :

- Do you think, copyrighting the code should be allowed ? If yes, then explain Why ?
- Or you believe in Free codes, a computer world with freedom of sharing & using the codes. Why ?Give us the reason.

Give Advantages & disadvantages of Copyrighting the code & also for Opensourcing the code.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Can't imagine if today web could so much beautiful without Jquery (complete open source)
    Also, imagine web security and whole awesomeness of simplicity without xml and java.
    Without above, internet would be living in stone age.☕☕
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...who thinks everything in the world should be free?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    The title says it all :

- Do you think, copyrighting the code should be allowed ? If yes, then explain Why ?
    - Or you believe in Free codes, a computer world with freedom of sharing & using the codes. Why ?Give us the reason.

Give Advantages & disadvantages of Copyrighting the code & also for Opensourcing the code.
    I think sharing or open sourcing code is totally depend on the person and application they are working on.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Again, great thread! 😀

I know some developers who won't even want to share their source code with a copyright attorney or a copyright office.

Codes are difficult to protect because, it is difficult to prove or disprove if my source code is being used, whole or in part, by another program. A software thief would be smart enough to not copy a Windows App in its entirety because it would look identical to the original. However, a small DLL copy or clone and rename would probably pass the public eye unnoticably.

On the other hand, I can also understand that copyrighting may be a good 'extra care measure' to protect the 'what if' cases of source code theft. Especially the startup who have their whole company working with that code as the centre, the nucleus.
    If a copyright infringement case goes to the court and where copying did take place, the copyright holders won. If you think a program has your source code illegally compiled in, you can file a lawsuit and do discovery which will legally oblige the developers of the program to reveal the source code.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I have a little different take on this. Being a Tux lover, I am obviously inclined towards open sourcing the code. I believe whenever I am going to start a project, I would want it to be open source, so that I can get help from community, different views and perspectives. But, as you said, if I alone have worked my ass hard, then I guess I deserve some credit. Though, I am totally cool with being "Benevolent Dictator For Life" for my work....😉 In my view, in the end of the day, it depends on the developer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many of us need to download YouTube Videos, and for this, there is an excellent plugin for Firefox browser. Go to the official site of firefox (https://www.addons.mozilla.org) and search for...
In many Indian Movies I have seen that when brake failure happens they struggle for a long time and hit on the lamp post/a tree or it may lead to...
I wanna made mini ups from bike battery i-e 12v , for the purpose to charge my laptop and cell phone, i need help, its my first project, i get...
KONE, the elevator manufacturer from Finland, is here with innovation in the high-rise elevator technology. With KONE UltraRope in place, now elevators that will be able to travel 1 kilometer-twice...
Let us explore 5 unique career options for B.Tech Computer Science students if they are not good at coding or software development.