Do you think another Mobile OS can outperform Android?

Android has literally taken over the world of Mobile OS with iOS and Windows trailing behind. New Mobile OS have started to come up which claim to be better than Android and iOS in some features and functionality.

Mobile operating systems like Sailfish OS fourth generation - Sailfish OS, #-Link-Snipped-#, Tizen | An open source, standards-based software platform for multiple device categories. and #-Link-Snipped-# are under development with some already released for BETA testing.

So do you think any other Mobile OS could come and take away the market from Android?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yeah. The number of times we find Sailfish, Firefox, Tizen and Ubuntu in the news (especially the ones read by engineers and developers), one can't ignore that they are making their mark.

I would like to know from CEans, what is it that you would add to a mobile OS you build that makes it better than Android? What are the shortcomings of Android that you want to overcome?
  • lal
    lal
    No one ever said Android is the limit ๐Ÿ˜
    sure there will be better ones. Its just a matter of time!
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Android's biggest drawback - it doesn't multitask. e.g. I can't have a page load while I'm browsing through the filesystem.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Anand Tamariya
    Android's biggest drawback - it doesn't multitask. e.g. I can't have a page load while I'm browsing through the filesystem.
    I don't know about specific devices but I am using Galaxy SII, 4.2.2.It's working fine.
    Android does knows that to clear the ram if no longer required but also it clears the RAM run processes foreground processes smoothly. It also depends how many processes are allowed to run in background. You can find in developers option.

Also, how app works it depends on app developers, for instance task killers always runs in background. If you use app Saavn.com it will continue to play while minimized.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    So do you think any other Mobile OS could come and take away the market from Android?
    Yes, with the pace engineering is taking steps surely ine day it will be replaced.

However the day doesn't seems to be so near at least not in next 5 years.

CB
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    Only one thing that i want to say is You can not develop a mobile application parallel to all the hardware but with the android you can. Android main power is in it's API. By using that you can write an application that can run on any hardware. As an application developer you do not have to worry about it's hardware implementation.
    Don't limit the scope of android into the mobile OS only we have have a big picture of android in future ๐Ÿ˜
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Small_k
    Android main power is in it's API.
    Elaborate please.
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    #-Link-Snipped-# As i already said you can develop any application common to the hardware's that support android. It means you are developing the application by using the API's provided by android. it's internal implementation varies with different hardware's.
    Suppose Samsung has written the internal implementation of method accessCam()(assume this method is used to access the camera) with code1 according to hardware he is using. And micromax has written the internal implementation of method accessCam() with code2.
    As an android developer you are writing application using accessCam() but the internal implementation varies according to the hardware used.
    So that is the reason why i said it's main power is in it's API it is providing. It is an open source operating system you can specify according to your need.
    I think it can be very helpful in embedded application development too.
    Correct me if i m wrong ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The_Small_k
    #-Link-Snipped-# As i already said you can develop any application common to the hardware's that support android. It means you are developing the application by using the API's provided by android. it's internal implementation varies with different hardware's.
    But that holds true for any OS, isn't it?
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    Anand Tamariya
    But that holds true for any OS, isn't it?
    for other OS you are not going to find this type of interface between low level and high level implementations.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The_Small_k
    for other OS you are not going to find this type of interface between low level and high level implementations.
    Can you name one OS which doesn't have high level API exposed for low level hardware functions?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# The power lies in linux kernel & not an API.
    Nowaday,Android is picked my many manufacturers & is used in different types of gadgets.Linux kernel makes it possible,Linux kernel brings Android a level of hardware abstraction.
    Most of the part & specifically the low-level ones are written in portable C code which can be modified as per need by manufacturers without hassle.
    So,in layman's term it means that : You can pick up Android & modify it according to the hardware,rather than modifying entire embedded hardware to fit in the software.
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    Ya because of open source linux kernel we can able to customize it ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    The thing is all the OEM provide their kernel sources in a couple of days of release of their devices. But it is not the same with the local Indian brands. They don't release the sources and the developers either have port from another device and modify and recompile or have to write the code from scratch.

APIs are provided by almost every programming language and being linux it has to have the libraries available to the public.
  • siraj.mussafirr
    siraj.mussafirr
    Mozilla is going to release its own mobile OS called Firefox OS. Its built on Android but one major difference is that anyone familiar with HTML and Javascript can easily create cool apps without any difficulty as you have with android app development. Only major issueFirefoxOS is the security of the app. Once that is solved, I believe it would bring a challenge to Android. It has been test released on few phones. SO i vote for Firefox OS
  • lal
    lal
    siraj.mussafirr
    Mozilla is going to release its own mobile OS called Firefox OS. Its built on Android but one major difference is that anyone familiar with HTML and Javascript can easily create cool apps without any difficulty as you have with android app development. Only major issueFirefoxOS is the security of the app. Once that is solved, I believe it would bring a challenge to Android. It has been test released on few phones. SO i vote for Firefox OS
    The firefox OS has already gone public infact. But the first looks or feel isn't much appealing. It is not likely to make an impact on the present situation atleast with this first release.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Not only Firefox,but Ubuntu Touch & Tizen 2.0 are also set to release their first device by the end of August/September.
    Infact, First Ubuntu phone is already designed & developed by the Samsung & it's given name as Samsung U1000.
    Samsung U1000 has same technical specifications as that of Samsung S4 with Apple kindof design.

Take a look :
    U1000

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone suggest project ideas in the field of Data Structure??
hi i need a details about bio gas plant and how to get permission to open a bio gas plant and how to supply power to electricity grid . please...
You might have gone for a drink at a pub or a cafe and met someone interesting with whom you wanted to stay in contact. And with the advent of...
If you have updated to the new Google Play App with the HOLO theme, you might be impressed with the design. But what about a dark theme with HOLO? With...
Boeing's engineers have been working on how the airplanes would look like & function 25-30 years from now. The company has already submitted their designs to NASA's N+3 program. The...