Do you regret not getting admission to IIT?

This thread will appeal more to the Indian engineers who aren't from IIT. I remember checking the IIT results online for the first time (over the Internet; it was all new to me back then) and getting terribly disappointed because I wasn't meant to get into IITs. However, I do not have any regrets that I didn't go to IIT. I don't think my life would have been 'better' had I been admitted to IIT. What about you?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I never aimed for IIT. Never prepared for it. But I did put in lot of efforts to get into best gov college and do regret my decision of joining some private college. if I had a time machin, I would really want to go back and change it all.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Being a diploma holder, IITs and NITs were never a choice for me given the system doesn't allow for it. (What were they thinking while bringing such a rule? ๐Ÿ‘€ )

Now that the graduation is complete - I don't see how I could've been a better engineer had I joined IIT.

PS: May be I would've not been able to find as much time as I have for CE back in college days AND 'that' would've been a BIG MINUS.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    i rather regret for preparing for IIT, wasting my DAD'S money in those coaching institutes, which otherwise would have got me a BIKE, playing cricket and badminton. In a way, i had made my life hell even though my dad never put any pressure on me to prepare for IIT.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    i want to know, that what have IIT done for india? the B.TECH were preferable only to work as labors in AMERICAN MNC like MICROSOFT, ORACLE way back in 1990's-2000. Because americans and europeans did not want to join these corporates and indians have still this JOB MINDSET. I know there have been lot of good engineers from IIT who only developed india and indian industries, but media never promotes this. And these IITians never brag about themselves that they have an IIT tag and they are superior engineern, unlike those who fly to west and would drum beat about themselves.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, I'm suddenly all nostalgic about all those "Brilliant Tutorials" books that piled up on my desk all the time when I was in higher secondary school. How I wished I could solve those problems like a pro ๐Ÿ˜.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    The_Big_K
    Yeah, I'm suddenly all nostalgic about all those "Brilliant Tutorials" books that piled up on my desk all the time when I was in higher secondary school. How I wished I could solve those problems like a pro ๐Ÿ˜.

it was truly wastage of money.

And one day, i was reading a mechanics book, KLEPPER and KOLENKOW.

I got surprised when one of the problem of that book was asked in the FIIT JEE test series examination.

then i got it, you need to read heavy booksto get into IIT.

it seriously is a pain.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    durga
    I never aimed for IIT. Never prepared for it. But I did put in lot of efforts to get into best gov college and do regret my decision of joining some private college. if I had a time machin, I would really want to go back and change it all.

good, it is indeed wastage of time.

enjoy life to the fullest

you would never get those moments back.

and on engineering, one has to practice it.

IIT/college will not make you an engineer.

it is field work which is important.

but in india, what matters is getting a blue collar job in those SWITCH or companies like them.

and wearing a tie and speaking english fluently.

i belive that even ITI grads have better knowledge than the employees of these SWITCH comapnies.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    i think that turk/mughals and britons rule have jaded the minds of indians

still, that legacy of servile attitude is visible even though they have left, nations got divided.

i have never seen a muslim running behind a job.

he would be rather happy opening a garage or a hotel

or he would get break in films.

it is not that they are good lookers so they get in films.

or they have more entreprenurial capabiliites.

it is the thing that they try their hands in venture, they are successful.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I don't regret for not getting into IIT. I did prepare for it though. It was not my cup of tea. I remember my physics teacher telling "Don't join the rat race". And indeed it is one. I am better now not getting into IIT.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think the misconception is building here.
    Just to clarify - I respect IITs. Its only that my home was too far from these coaching centres stopped me from attending any.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    durga
    I think the misconception is building here.
    Just to clarify - I respect IITs. Its only that my home was too far from these coaching centres stopped me from attending any.

i don't know whether they are respectable now or not

yes, in 70s, they were good

as there were no coaching instis

without any coaching and studying 2 hours a week,

i cleared IIIT-Bangalore

only if these coaching factories are eliminated, then IIT would come back to their purpose.

but GOI's attempt always gets thwarted.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I was a great admirer of IIT , but I tried once qualified through prelims but failed in mains and not tried again.

I dont know how I would be if I was a IIT pass out.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KenJackson
    Are you guys talking about Illinois Institute of Technology | Illinois Institute of Technology, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia - IIT or Informatics Institute of Technology | IIT Campus?
    Nope, the Indian Institutes Of Technology - considered as the best engineering institutes in the country.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    i had cleared IIIT-Bangalore

did not join
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    The_Big_K
    Nope, the Indian Institutes Of Technology - considered as the best engineering institutes in the country.

the purpose of IIT was different

in my opinion, it did not fulfill the purpose for which IIT system was created

and after 90s, what happened was the IITians living in the west wanted some news

this way, they created a BRAND IIT

and not to forget, those coaching institutes which helped to leverage the brand.

are nations so stupid that its own citizen would take pride in churning out a GLOBAL WORKFORCE, a modern term for slaves?

but only in india, we take pride in being slaves/servants
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Could you please let the system handle default spacing between lines? It makes the text more readable. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Could you please let the system handle default spacing between lines? It makes the text more readable. ๐Ÿ˜€
    kindly let me know how to do it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rk rao
    kindly let me know how to do it?
    Just don't hit 'Enter' multiple times after every new line. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    The_Big_K
    Just don't hit 'Enter' multiple times after every new line. ๐Ÿ˜€
    okay,i got it
    so you have TEXT FORMATTING s/w also implemented in this? CSV with C++?
  • graphite
    graphite
    I never aimed at IIT's, though my father suggested to give a try but I not appeared for the exams. I always thought that IIT is not meant for me, I regret for demoralizing myself..๐Ÿ˜”
    But had put all efforts to crack other entrance exams to get into a good engineering college.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    IIT or any college
    all indians eventually have to write CODE
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    regretted only when i couldn't make it, but when i got admission in the college i never looked for IIT. After all, it is job that matters to majority of people (at least for me). No doubt the IIT people get better salaries and designations in shorter period of time but to be successful it requires lot more than technical skills
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    I never aimed for IIT and didnt bother to prepare for it..
    But now I think if I would have worked quite harder than may be I would also be and IITan next year...!!๐Ÿ˜”
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Diploma holder, so no IIT for me. I do feel little down hearted when I read in news papers about Facebook hiring them @ 58 LPA but anyways, we shouldn't forget that they do deserve it & they worked towards it.

At some stage of life, you've to put your ass over a grinder. Some do it earlier for 1-2 years, go to IIT & live a peaceful life after. Some does it for rest of the life, after realizing that are wasted their crucial period & are left behind.

rk rao
    okay,i got it
    so you have TEXT FORMATTING s/w also implemented in this? CSV with C++?
    There's no additional software. The editor you write is a WYSIWYG one, so a JS formats the text with proper HTML tags.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Being a diploma holder & currently pursuing bachelors, we D2D students never given chance in lateral entry in IITs college, so IIT was not an option. But, again if I would've given opportunity of lateral entry in IITs 5 month back then I would've ripped it for sure.

Anyways, I have seen some IITians doing great things, while some are clue-less dumbs even after graduating from IITs, same thing happens to regular college engineer graduates. So what's the difference ?
    I think it all depends on yourself, your thirst for knowledge & will to do something great, No college can make you "GREAT ENGINEER".
    Hence, No Regret ๐Ÿ˜€
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    I don't think it's good to generalize that preparing for IIT's is a complete waste of time..! Eventhough you don't get into IIT..! The things you learned whilst preparing for it will surely stay beside you forever(if you are interested enough..! ).. Because nobody can crack JEE's by just rote learning(which we've proudly inherited from the britishers..! ) No regret..! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    vinod1993
    I don't think it's good to generalize that preparing for IIT's is a complete waste of time..! Eventhough you don't get into IIT..! The things you learned whilst preparing for it will surely stay beside you forever(if you are interested enough..! ).. Because nobody can crack JEE's by just rote learning(which we've proudly inherited from the britishers..! ) No regret..! ๐Ÿ˜€
    absolutely, when i failed in the iit i thought it was the end of the world but soon i realized there are other colleges too and my preparation for iit had made my basics strong enough to clear the first year exams easily

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Throughout my engineering days while learning C++, I used to think why these computer languages are so dumb. One " ; " missing and they throw up an error on...
ELAN 2013 is the technical and cultural fest of IIT Hyderabad. Organized and celebrated every year with growing enthusiasm, this is one event that IITians from Hyderabad are surely looking...
Are there any jobs with start up for my experience. i have 6 years of experience in ERP domain. I am learning Pythong language. I know Java also along with...
Myself Abdul Rahumaan from Chennai, presently I am working as a mechanical engineer in Tebodin Consulting and Engineering company in Chennai itself, I looking after all the fire protection system...
can any one tell me about any online site where i can give free online test for my preperation of gate and other psu exam i have search for many...