Do you really need to 'burn' something to make something non living to 'move'?

Take a minute. Look around you. Analyse. Home appliances, vehicles, your body, etc. Everything has some factor in common - the burning/reaction of one form of energy to make it move/run. This process 'often' creates one common biproduct that has been affecting our ozone layer for quite some time now - oxides of carbon.

1. Can we/are we doing something to eliminate this?

2. Can you tell me any kind of man made item that doesn't harm the atmosphere when you look at it from 'in the long run' perspective?

3. Should there always be a reaction of some sort to make something run/work/move?

4. What are the new possibilities of developing future technologies which produce limited biproducts of carbon?

P.S: How crazy can you get on this topic? This is basically a debate on what measures we have/have to take to reduce our carbon footprint on this earth.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am not sure if I get your question. But imagine human body functioning. All the cells in our body require energy to carry out the required chemical reactions to complete their specific functions. respiration, motion, cognitive processes, growth, all need energy for reactions to occur.
    Similar is the case with the things around us. Nothing is possible without energy.
    No movement is possible without energy. This energy is produced by heating ( or burning as you put it).

Does by any chance your question mean that - do we really need energy to make something move?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Ankita Katdare
    I am not sure if I get your question. But imagine human body functioning. All the cells in our body require energy to carry out the required chemical reactions to complete their specific functions. respiration, motion, cognitive processes, growth, all need energy for reactions to occur.
    Similar is the case with the things around us. Nothing is possible without energy.
    No movement is possible without energy. This energy is produced by heating ( or burning as you put it).

Does by any chance your question mean that - do we really need energy to make something move?
    Title corrected. Hope this makes it clear.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The answer is simple from law of conservation of energy - energy can only be converted from one form to another. Except for fusion, fission, wind and hydel power, all other forms so far involves combustion.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anand Tamariya
    The answer is simple from law of conservation of energy - energy can only be converted from one form to another. Except for fusion, fission, wind and hydel power, all other forms so far involves combustion.
    What about Magnetic energy? How can we use it in a more advance way in future? It does not produce any harmful bi-products right? How feasible can we make it to future gadgets, etc - maybe to power the gadget up or also even to make it move?

P.S.: Just trying to think outside the box. As crazy as it seems, an idea just struck me. Not sure how worth it's going to make this debate be, but just trying:

Experiment [Still in theory]:
    I'm sure all of you know the 'pull a donkey forward' by tying-a-carrot-to-the-end-of-a-stick-and-putting-it-in-front-of-the-donkey trick. (See Image below)

[​IMG]
    Can we do the same with a Toy Car on Wheels, and a magnet suitable for it? How would you see this theory being put to practical use in future?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    anoopthefriend
    What about Magnetic energy?
    Why don't you try it out and see how much energy can you produce? This will give you an idea about it's practicality.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anand Tamariya
    Why don't you try it out and see how much energy can you produce? This will give you an idea about it's practicality.
    That's what I plan to do during my short holidays next week. What intrigues me is that the simple magnet (say magnet used to stick notes on refrigerators) has unquenchable energy in it, which does not seem to degrade with time - unless ofcourse a certain magnetic field is applied, which also relies on the coercivity of the material used in the magnet. Can we channel this in some way is what i'd like to know?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

For most machinery and equipment owners, the question is not if to "Value Engineer" but only when to and they wait for engineers or users to ask for it. However,...
Hi friends, i am finding a topic for my final year project(mech.) in FEA & stress analysis so if u have any topic please suggest me.
Raspberry Pi will soon have newly launched Wolfram Language as standard system software. The Wolfram Language, which was announced by Stephen Wolfram about a week ago as 'something very big'...
CircuitScribe is an awesome, magical pen that lets you draw electronic circuits directly on a paper, add a physical power supply and make it work. No solders or wires needed....
Traffline short for Traffic Line, is a app designed to provide real time information on traffic jams in India. Using the Traffline app on Android, iOS or Blackberry, users can...