Do you know any innovative technology to dry soil in construction?

Do you know any innovative process, additive or machinery, which accelerates the drying of soil, reduces the extra cost of construction projects due to delays and applicable in massive earthworks?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Water needs a lot of energy to evaporate. About 2 KWHrs/US Gallon. This translates to a lot in massive earthworks. Additives will not help. Additional problem is that once the exposed top layers are dried further evaporation is controlled by diffusion from lower levels, which will be influenced by porosity of the soil and such factors, which are themselves influenced by clay content and such.

Some sort of solar energy assisted drying may help. For cost effectiveness, the simplest solution may be to just spread poly ethylene foil sheeting over the area with perforations, which allow water vapor to escape. This can be tested quickly over a small area, say 10' x 10'. comparing the behavior with an adjoining open area.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to make my final year project on this title. so I just want to know whether this project is new or not? I want to work on totally...
We want training in bhel for diploma final year students to get experience for our future jobs and career
How can get job in VLSI as physical design Engineer as a fresher without any training. Is this possible?
In 10th i m having 70% , and in 12th i got 53%  after that  i taken admission in 1st year engineering at pune university , but in 1st year...
Hello. I have a doubt regarding python programming. Suppose I enter two numbers A and B. Now in the next line, I take input of A  separated integers S(i),i-th of...