Do speakers sound better after 'break in' period?

I've been reading on several forums that the computer speakers sound a lot better after the initial 'break in' period. I tried searching online for information on what this break-in; but whatever I read didn't make lot of sense. Would like to know from someone who's actually experienced the change in the sound quality of speakers after the break-in period.

Would also like to know if break-in actually exists and what really happens?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Out of experience I am against letting a externally powered speaker in ON condition for a prolonged time

Small fluctuations in the AC supply to the speaker can cause small vibes in the speaker paper

Though excellent insulation is available to every speaker these noises can't be avoided

Longer the speaker is on the longer the paper vibrates Reducing the life time of the speaker paper So It is better not to allow breakin in any cost
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I didn't mean keeping the speakers ON for a long time. But the 'break in' that would happen after the speakers have played music for about 100 initial hours (with sufficient breaks in between, say 3-5 hours of music on daily basis). The speakers I have have been magnetically insulated and are protected from surges.

Is there a noticeable difference in the audio quality after a few hours of play?
  • lal
    lal
    To be honest, I never have felt an increase in sound quality of speakers over time. That could be because I never gave much attention to it. But, I believe, most things having moving parts have a 'break in' period.

Fresh finished products out of a manufacturing unit will not work as it is supposed to be. For instance, a fresh IC engine has to be carefully broken in before going hard on it. Many people claim the engine gets tuned to the driving behaviour of the person in the break in period.

I think it should be same in the case of speakers too. The vibrating parts will be initially a bit rigid which will become flexible to the right amount after a few hours of usage.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Speakers are predominantly not to have these difference much felt or noticed by users

But the paper takes some time to set in New papers provide lesser response to certain frequency in the higher Audio frequency range But after a few weeks they get used to this and provide nearly the same effect to the user
  • lal
    lal
    @ Conqueror, so doesn't that mean there is a break in time! That is what it is. To get used and become flexible to provide optimum performance.

I guess it is more prominent in the low frequency speakers. Like sub woofers and woofers. Those are quite strong to handle tough beats. So I guess they need a bit of work out to get flexible and output low amplitude sounds.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    That is true #-Link-Snipped-# Cos The lower the frequency the longer time duration the speaker paper has to vibrate to produce a sound

Initially a new paper can't give that effect in a single go So it takes a few weeks

PS: It is better not to drive your Brand new speakers to give very high low frequency sound for atleast a week This can impact your speaker's performance a lot
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I dont really understand the concept of a break-in period for speakers. It sounds like Engines to me. Any one can explain what exactly that period is and what does it mark for the speaker? Any technical reason for that?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The time taken by a speaker to settle in and give a uniform response to all available frequency of sound is called break in period

(i.e) The time period taken for the bandwidth of the response curve of speaker's paper to exceed 20Hz to 20KHz is called break in period

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm planning to buy an external hard drive to store all the photos and videos. They've been occupying just too much space on my machines. The only thing that will...
Can any one tell to make Web browser will be a major or mini project with c#.net. Kindly Reply...
Please reply only if you're non-gamer, a developer & a normal user with no extra work except browsing internet & doing normal things. - You're developer, so open environment is...
There's a reason why Power consumption is mentioned in each & every electronics gadget. The gadget works perfectly in the mentioned Power consumption unit, but not as desired if less...
GPL also known as General Public License. GPLv2 is copyleft license. Now I will try to elaborate a bit more using software Linux Kernel (yeah kernel is a software): Linux...