Do Marks matter in engineering?

HI everyone

So many of us undergraduate engineers always ask this question, so i'm just going to put it out there and tell me what u think....

"does marks matter for jobs???"
and another questions that many of my friends ask me but i do not know how to answer it.
"if your first and second year u have a 2.0 average for both and then suddenly in 3rd and 4th year u go up to 3.5 because u becomes more slightly interested in what you're learning will this effects anything? as in will they look at the 2.0 average and judge u base on it?"

CHEERS

EE nano

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Re: DOES MARKS matter????

Dear EEnano,

Let me say something from my side.
    I was not topper in my diploma college but i get admission in Degree college and after that even i was failed in 3rd year and in that time i learn Embedded systems and after completing my B.E i get the job while some of my friends who have better marks are still searching for job.

So i don't think mark is MUST but yes if you want to go in some good company then they might ask you for at-least first class or Distinction.
  • sachleen
    sachleen

yeah,,,,,,i also think so....marks are important........marks matters....
  • optimystix
    optimystix

godfather
    ..... but yes if you want to go in some good company then they might ask you for at-least first class or Distinction.
    why not start your own company ?😎

A talented person can make his mark(not the 'mark' discussed about above) anywhere and anyhow. But there should be determination tagging along with those talents!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

optimystix
    why not start your own company ?😎
    I will do that. And also planning for same Opty. πŸ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    yes marks do nothing except showing a figure that i got in my study
    this is not new to me and i am repeatedly saying knowledge is important than marks
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Prove your mettle, and you can work on!!! πŸ˜€ Marks are just an Entry Level Craap! πŸ˜›
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla

godfather
    I will do that. And also planning for same Opty. πŸ˜€
    Thats a great news dude! All the best πŸ˜€
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    praveenscience
    Prove your mettle, and you can work on!!! πŸ˜€ Marks are just an Entry Level Craap! πŸ˜›
    he''s 100 % right ....... marks jst matters for entry into MNC's not all the companies
  • jhnmichle
    jhnmichle
    Marks are only issue for getting admission. i believe in learning how much you learn. marks doesn't matter.
  • bhagya.diva
    bhagya.diva
    yeah dear.. UR previous sems CG OR SGPA wateva matters a lot weneva u r opting to join any training or internship in any good college. Some where u can also aplly for the private training or project. In most cases i have heard students saying dat its not dat very important for ITans to have internship or do projects. If atall u wanna do ne thing den juss go for a 6 months training in a very gud company like CISCO n all in Bangalore. But everywhere CG (ur marks) matters a lot. So all the best... πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Even that will be considered only once, while entering... See my company, they were filtering out candidates, because of low marks. After the interview, till now they haven't asked my marksheets... 😲
  • EEnano
    EEnano
    but marks shows how much u understand things.
    A friend of mine is really good and she is the topper of our department, I said state topper. And I am damn sure that she cannot solve a simple logic, if she's given with what is the basic stuff being done in the same industry. 😐 It doesn't measure the understanding. Even if it measures, all that the industry needs is the practical experience. Moreover, she bought her final year project and submitted it! Fate! πŸ˜”
  • EEnano
    EEnano
    hahaha thats interesting.. thats what u call cheatingπŸ˜› haha.. i know a few people who are reallyy good at exams writing. they dont know anything before the exams and literally walk out of the exams have more knowledge then walking in.. lol... weird..
    EEnano
    hahaha thats interesting.. thats what u call cheatingπŸ˜› haha.. i know a few people who are reallyy good at exams writing. they dont know anything before the exams and literally walk out of the exams have more knowledge then walking in.. lol... weird..
    And these MNCs prefer them! Oh my god!!! 😲
  • aashima
    aashima
    Well, I have seen different cases. I have seen people with record breaking academic records being rejected and people with backlogs getting selected. Many companies even implement an upper cut off which means students scoring more than a certain limit are not eligible.
    What I feel is it largely depends on the individual. If you are able to leave an impression on the interviewer, an impression good enough that he is convinced he is making a right choice in selecting you, BINGO! There you are.
    As quoted in above posts, most of the companies provide project specific training immediately after joining. So somewhere they know that they will put into you the knowledge they need to put into use. It is your Out of Box capability, like your confidence and X-Factor which they primarily seek.

-Aashima

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i just read somewhere that a research is going on in mit to develop wireless electricity....however nothing was given on the principle on which they are working...i m little doubtful...
WHAT KIND OF ENGINEER IS GOD? (A NEW SPIN OF AN OLD JOKE) By Ryan Somma One very fine day, a group of professorial-types of differing backgrounds happened at random...
CEan Bioramani celebrates his 72[sup]nd[/sup] birthday today . He wrote to CE saying "At 72, what's left seems more important than what's over". Wishing bioramani a very happy birthday! πŸ˜€
CEans, Do you believe that "pen is mightier than the sword"? why or why not???
i want to install chat(between users) feature. How can it be done in joomla cms?