CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Neema Ambhurkar • 24 Jun, 2010 • 2 likes
Do marks on score card define the capabilities of a student?

Also, many judgements are made on the basis of marks on the score cards? Do you think the judgement is justified?
@Akhil Prasad • 24 Jun, 2010 no.................
creativity does not depent on score cards...................but capability does, to some extends.........
@suman.mathad • 24 Jun, 2010 even.. i dont think so marks define capability or creativity,,
bt one thing is for sure,,, if u cant get sufficient marks ..
we should never say all these things!!!!
@sushant005 • 03 Jul, 2010 no not really!
Marks can't define the capability of a student.I think knowledge of an individual best define its capability not marks.
@gaurav.bhorkar • 03 Jul, 2010 • 1 like Well I think it depends on the type of exam. Descriptive exams do judge the capability of a student to much a greater extent than multiple choice questions (MCQ) exams. Because in MCQs you can get away with a fluke, but in a descriptive exam your theoretical knowledge, writing skills, etc are tested.

Also, many judgements are made on the basis of marks on the score cards? Do you think the judgement is justified?
Provided the answer sheets are checked properly.
And by the way, what other ways are there to make a judgement rather than a score card?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 03 Jul, 2010 Well, marks in exams may reflect the capability of the student in the subject for which the exam was conducted. If a student scores lesser marks in Math exam - it might be an indication that the student isn't good in math. But I'd not forgot to mention that marks in just ONE exam may not necessarily reflect the capability of the exam taker.
@CIVILPRINCESS • 04 Jul, 2010 • 1 like marks cannot be used as a judgement criteria all the time.
the students' theoretical knowledge can be based on the marks... but the practical knowledge wise the one who is scoring the least can be the best. so we can't underestimate any one based on their marks..😀
@Sahithi Pallavi • 05 Jul, 2010 • 1 like yes ofocurse! but not every time.

marks in just ONE exam may not necessarily reflect the capability of the exam taker.
And this is absolutely correct.

And by the way, what other ways are there to make a judgement rather than a score card?
Yes, score card is the only way in our system to define a student. Even all the colleges/companies will give cut off marks for admissions/interviews. They won't conduct HR/personal interview firstly.
@sushant005 • 05 Jul, 2010 • 1 like
sahithi pallavi
Yes, score card is the only way in our system to define a student. Even all the colleges/companies will give cut off marks for admissions/interviews. They won't conduct HR/personal interview firstly.
yes, you are very true but the question is do really a score card give the better or even the best judgment to the capability of a student.What would you think?
@Sahithi Pallavi • 05 Jul, 2010 Well, Marks define the capability of a student, but we can't underestimate the students with lesser marks. But these days, in our system, to prove his/her capability they have to get good marks, because its the only way to recognize them.
Marks are important, But its not the only way to scrutinize and judge the students. They should have some more rounds to judge a student like interviews, skills round etc.
@kamal_kj5 • 06 Jul, 2010 ofcourse,marks are important,but they do not show da potential of the student ryt way.Maybe a student's marks might change based on his current position,but he can be a lot more capable.This is the reason why companies conduct interviews.Otherwise ,they can rely just on marks.Best examples are many of the scientists V knw.
@Debasmita Banerjee • 30 Jan, 2016 • 2 likes Well I guess it depends on how you comprehend "capability". If you are asking "capability of fetching hefty numerical digits on a paper", well I am afraid the receiver was not capable enough to fetch that. On the contrary, He was capable enough to fetch what he received. To be more clear, I believe capability is completely a premature idea that changes from one scenario to the other. It is very unlikely that numbers of a certain exam will judge what this system aka person actually can do or experience in real life.

My discussion might go out of the topic, but human brain is much more complex to be judged by mere numbers. Evaluation process is no way proportional to someone's merit neither work. Many of us might know that Sir Albert Einstein failed in his Chemistry exam in graduation. Does that mean he was less meritorious? This marking factor of marks is a cliche according to me which rather generates thousands of bereaved souls trying to jump off the roof just because he or she got failed.

But officially evaluation is required as this world needs to give food and shelter to everyone and it cant be equalized among all the people. That in no way means the person is capable of doing nothing. If you fail in studies you might use your hands in weaving, to me that is much harder than studying. But all I mean is it's completely meaningless to rely on marks to judge one's worth.
@Bala Venkat • 30 Jan, 2020

I think the question really is - should examinations be the criteria to judge the students ability? Can marks define the real capability of a student? I am sure every student faces this question in his or her life at least once. 

Never judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. So, how can a report card tell you if the marks he received on a subject he or she is not good at is the maximum learning capability of a student? It seems utterly ridiculous. But our education system puts everyone in the same basket and tries to measure their capability. ? 

I think a better way to measure to a student's capability is to measure his intelligence not his/her mugging up skills.

@bill yorke • 30 Jan, 2020

There exists no defined correlation between student's score performance and his/her individual capabilities. whatever exists out there is undeniable convenient assumptions. A student who is good in math's and consistently performs well on the subject clearly states his/her great understanding of the student but his/her capabilities. One who fails consistently also is pegged on his/ her individual understanding of the subject in question. what one can do beyond graded and marked examinations or evaluations is what constitutes one's capabilities and is dependent on a lot of motivational, personality, aspirations, exposure, role of nurture jut to mention but a few.

3.9k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · Jan 8, 2014

Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL) has made the all-new Honda City 2014 official in India. Launched in two variants Petrol and Diesel the Honda City 4th generation, was one of...
3.9k views

@rosario.n · Oct 11, 2008

Create a java program to display the moving car using Applet concept....
45.9k views

@BCA_GIRL · Oct 16, 2010

What are the differences between Serial schedule and Serializability? As i concerned, a schedule is said to be Serial if all the operation of transaction executes consicutively without any interference...
8.4k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 16, 2013

CDAC CCAT 2013 takers, if you wish to discuss your results, ranks, center preferences, preparation tips et al, please use this discussion thread. I see that several threads are being...
5.5k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Feb 26, 2008

CEans, The essential part of being a Crazy Engineer is the ability to think beyond the obvious and innovating. No idea is stupid, no new thought would be laughed at....
2.5k views