Do 'Foreign Languages' Add Weight To Your Resume?

The most often asked questions about building a solid profile is to add at least one 'Foreign' language. I've had many friends enroll for German and French language classes only to make their resume look impressive. I wonder how important are the foreign languages to your resume. If you have real life examples of how a foreign language helped in job; please do share here.

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    The most often asked questions about building a solid profile is to add at least one 'Foreign' language. I've had many friends enroll for German and French language classes only to make their resume look impressive. I wonder how important are the foreign languages to your resume. If you have real life examples of how a foreign language helped in job; please do share here.
    I don't think so. Because my technical HR was conducted in Tamil only ๐Ÿ˜‰ .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking forward to more responses ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I do know some German, but I learned that for literary purposes ๐Ÿ˜›

Haven't sat for a Job Interview yet though. Maybe I'll tell you next semester.
  • Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    I don't think so.Because for technical people mainly the technical side matter.You have to be strong in that.Weighting your resume with foreign language and weak in technical does not assure you job.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    #-Link-Snipped-# how do you know this? From personal experience?
  • Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    Gurjap
    #-Link-Snipped-# how do you know this? From personal experience?
    Though I don't know any foreign language but i can tell from my campusing experience.At the time of recruiting, interviewer asked me technical questions.They didn't ask me whether i known any other foreign language or not.So,knowing foreign language is not mandatory.And as per the language concerned, english will help you in every situation(i think).
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Okay. I am assuming you don't know any foreign languages beside English (beg pardon if I'm wrong). So you don't mention the knowledge of a foreign language on your CV. It's not like the Interviewer's gonna start with," So...... it says here you don't know any Spanish. Why's that?"

It's a minor point, I know ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    It can be as add on in CV as if u get the opportunity at client side ..
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    In my opinion, programming languages are more important than foreign languages. If you wanna work in some outside country, then foreign languages are important. So, not that important if you work in India. Moreover, all most all countries (incld. China) are fluent in English these days.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I can speak, read, write a foreign language - Japanese. I don't think it made a difference when I appeared for a job interview.
    After clearing the technical interview round, when I was called for HR, they asked me about it though. The HR lady asked me how to say good morning, good evening and good night in Japanese. ๐Ÿ˜จ So she wasn't interested in knowing my skills over the language.

It can be an added advantage when your foreign client doesn't speak English. โ˜•
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    AbraKaDabra
    I can speak, read, write a foreign language - Japanese. I don't think it made a difference when I appeared for a job interview.
    After clearing the technical interview round, when I was called for HR, they asked me about it though. The HR lady asked me how to say good morning, good evening and good night in Japanese. ๐Ÿ˜จ So she wasn't interested in knowing my skills over the language.

It can be an added advantage when your foreign client doesn't speak English. โ˜•
    Exactly and I guess It can also be an added advantage if your company is dealing projects of Japan; there is a change for you to get selected. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • pranavreddy
    pranavreddy
    There was a lady from France (She introduced herself with a weird name. Sounded French.) in my TCS interview. I had French in the list of languages known. She asked me in french if i knew the language. I replied in English. Smiled and told her that i watch French movies. She asked me what movies i had watched. I gave her few titles. And then, the other guy asked me two questions on cloud computing for which i blabbered something. And i get the job. Yeah, it's true. That's how my TCS interview was. :S

Did the extra language help? May be. Lightened up the atmosphere.

Regarding Japanese, i have a friend who completed five levels in some Japanese language tests and took up a job in his 7th sem itself in a very good company. He even got an offer from Amazon for 6LPA which he rejected and is working now straight out of college for 8LPA. I would say, an extra language would help, only if you master it (Which wouldn't be hard if you are really interested).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : What's the point in mentioning French in your resume if you don't know the language?
  • pranavreddy
    pranavreddy
    We had 6 credits for a foreign language spread over two semesters in our college. So had to take it. I knew how to write and basic grammar in it. But couldn't speak fluently. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • kookyhere
    kookyhere
    It is mandatory if only you are facing the panel of an "real MNC" which holds its positions in all the countries.. if the company has lots of onsite opportunities then obviously u need it... like.. Germany is the heaven of mechies.. so no harm in learning it, atleast to attract the interview panel.๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : What's the point in mentioning French in your resume if you don't know the language?
    Maybe because there is no section "Movies watched" ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    The_Big_K
    Well... How about this:

Bulgarian - native
    English - fluent
    Russian - very good
    Macedonian - good
    Indonesian - poor
    ?

I will tell you what I think - nobody cares. This, on my opinion, can be valued only if the HR speaks the same languages, which is almost impossible ๐Ÿ˜€ On the other side, once I had to work with Chinese guys. They didn't speak English, I don't speak Chinese. And still we were able to understand each other, using pencil and A4, drawing a lot of sketches ๐Ÿ˜€ So... who cares about the foreign languages? sigma = E x epsilon ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Live Project Opportunity for the engineering students and a chance to go to Stuttgart, Germany and internships at Lapp India Bangalore. For more information visit our facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/lappindia.
I am dynamic,agile,team spirited Mechanical Engineer looking for a job.
Can someone explain the difference between Nylon and Teflon polymer materials? Would appreciate a simple to understand explanation.
German VW's Audi has bought the motorcycling giant, Ducati to compete with the growing BMW. The deal is worth 860 million Euros. However, this acquisition brings 200 million Euro debt...
This was posted in one forum: Not a tough Dame by any scale! https://verdoos.ucoz.com/blog