Do automobiles (car,bike,bus,train) require earthing?

I was always amused about this question so forwarding it here.
We all know that electrical items should be earthed to avoid shocks .We see it in every applainces and electrical items but what about automobile?We use headlights,tail lights, side lights, parking lights, horns, ac, fan, etc but do they require earthing? If yes what is the sole purpose of doing it and how the earthing was done?If not earthed, what will happen to us who were driving it or traveling by it?Does they do it by connecting it to frames of automobile ? If yes, I have a doubt- It cannot reach ground because tyre is built by use of rubber material and it is not a conductor.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    what do you exactly mean by grounding or earthing?
    There are multiple ways we can do that, ideally at home earthing etc is done in order to avoid the fault current not to effect the appliances.

So as far my knowledge goes , car doesnt have the capability to generate high amount of power, only thing that might blow is head lamps.

Who said tyres are not conductive? Most of the tyres have carbon which conduct;the static electricity which is generated by the car in motion is gone to ground through tyres.

There are few modern types made from silica which is a great insulator, in this case people will get mild shock while exiting the car .
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    Well, thats' a good question. Earthing in automobiles is usually done on the chassis. It doesn't necessarily have to be the earth to ground always. There's this interesting discussion which would give you the answer-

#-Link-Snipped-#

I guess your answer comes up from the 3rd comment onwards ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Earthing is very necessary in automobiles. The reason is the development of static charge in tyres when they rub on the ground. The staic charge may be high enough to create spark and might be a reason for fuel tank to catch fire. For small or light vehicles its not so important as it is in heavy vehicles.
  • ikk*
    ikk*
    Why we use earthing in bikes or cars.ans pls.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ikk*
    Why we use earthing in bikes or cars.ans pls.
    Well, because the faulty currents in electric circuits need a path. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ikk*
    ikk*
    Sir can any one ellobrate all the suitable reasons.
    As u told...sir bt wt about cars.only wheels are in contacts of earth.so hw can faulty current get ground.
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, because the faulty currents in electric circuits need a path. ๐Ÿ˜€
    One more thng.i tooked a earth connection b/w starter moter and earthng cable which is connected to frame of vehicle.it is al abt a bike.
    ikk*
    Sir can any one ellobrate all the suitable reasons.
    As u told...sir bt wt about cars.only wheels are in contacts of earth.so hw can faulty current get ground.
    I m nt able to play this link.may u provide pdf or text pls?.
    The Observer
    Well, thats' a good question. Earthing in automobiles is usually done on the chassis. It doesn't necessarily have to be the earth to ground always. There's this interesting discussion which would give you the answer-

#-Link-Snipped-#

I guess your answer comes up from the 3rd comment onwards ๐Ÿ˜€
    Admin sir .m unable to acess this link.pls provide pdf or else
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This discussion: Can Air Act As "Ground" For Electrical Circuits?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

https://www.google.com/insidesearch/howsearchworks/thestory/index.html The above link beautifully story-tells everything regarding Google search. ๐Ÿ˜€
Spice Mobiles India has launched a new smartphone called the Spice Stellar Nhance 2 Mi-437 today. Priced at Rs. 5,899, the Spice Stellar Nhance 2 features a a 4-inch TFT...
Google India has launched the HP Chromebook 14 in India. Featuring the Intel's 4th generation Dual-Core 1.1 GHz Haswell processor, the HP Chromebook 14 was first released back in September...
I was wondering if there's any way or hack to access whatsapp online via desktop or laptop. I've been told that one of the way is to install an Android...
Quote In November 2013, the University of Southampton will be running its first MOOC (Massive Open Online Course). This will enable anyone to study online, for free, wherever they are...