CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran • 10 Oct, 2013 • 1 like
I was always amused about this question so forwarding it here.
We all know that electrical items should be earthed to avoid shocks .We see it in every applainces and electrical items but what about automobile?We use headlights,tail lights, side lights, parking lights, horns, ac, fan, etc but do they require earthing? If yes what is the sole purpose of doing it and how the earthing was done?If not earthed, what will happen to us who were driving it or traveling by it?Does they do it by connecting it to frames of automobile ? If yes, I have a doubt- It cannot reach ground because tyre is built by use of rubber material and it is not a conductor.
@Saandeep Sreerambatla • 10 Oct, 2013 what do you exactly mean by grounding or earthing?
There are multiple ways we can do that, ideally at home earthing etc is done in order to avoid the fault current not to effect the appliances.

So as far my knowledge goes , car doesnt have the capability to generate high amount of power, only thing that might blow is head lamps.

Who said tyres are not conductive? Most of the tyres have carbon which conduct;the static electricity which is generated by the car in motion is gone to ground through tyres.

There are few modern types made from silica which is a great insulator, in this case people will get mild shock while exiting the car .
@The Observer • 13 Oct, 2013 • 1 like Well, thats' a good question. Earthing in automobiles is usually done on the chassis. It doesn't necessarily have to be the earth to ground always. There's this interesting discussion which would give you the answer-

https://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy05/phy05396.htm

I guess your answer comes up from the 3rd comment onwards 😀
@Siddhant Mukherjee • 20 Oct, 2013 @SarathKumar Chandrasekaran : Earthing is very necessary in automobiles. The reason is the development of static charge in tyres when they rub on the ground. The staic charge may be high enough to create spark and might be a reason for fuel tank to catch fire. For small or light vehicles its not so important as it is in heavy vehicles.
@ikk* • 22 Feb, 2016 Why we use earthing in bikes or cars.ans pls.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 22 Feb, 2016
ikk*
Why we use earthing in bikes or cars.ans pls.
Well, because the faulty currents in electric circuits need a path. 😀
@ikk* • 22 Feb, 2016 Sir can any one ellobrate all the suitable reasons.
As u told...sir bt wt about cars.only wheels are in contacts of earth.so hw can faulty current get ground.
Kaustubh Katdare
Well, because the faulty currents in electric circuits need a path. 😀
One more thng.i tooked a earth connection b/w starter moter and earthng cable which is connected to frame of vehicle.it is al abt a bike.
ikk*
Sir can any one ellobrate all the suitable reasons.
As u told...sir bt wt about cars.only wheels are in contacts of earth.so hw can faulty current get ground.
I m nt able to play this link.may u provide pdf or text pls?.
The Observer
Well, thats' a good question. Earthing in automobiles is usually done on the chassis. It doesn't necessarily have to be the earth to ground always. There's this interesting discussion which would give you the answer-

Classroom Resources | Argonne National Laboratory

I guess your answer comes up from the 3rd comment onwards 😀
Admin sir .m unable to acess this link.pls provide pdf or else
Kaustubh Katdare
This discussion: Can Air Act As "Ground" For Electrical Circuits? | CrazyEngineers
3.9k views

Related Posts

@avm · Jan 7, 2009

When a 3 phase system is balanced, what will be the current in the neutral wire ?
6.5k views

@Sanyam Khurana · Jun 3, 2014

I want to know if a website can be displayed inside an android app... Of course, app needs to run only that particular website, so no need to enter url...
2.7k views

@Olu_Ola · Sep 6, 2013

Please can anybody explain how the frequency of a communication signal affect its propagation range?
33.6k views

@Ankita Katdare · Feb 18, 2016

Born to a doctor duo, Tejaswinee grew up in Nagpur spending most of her time with her grandmother who used to be a college teacher in Sanskrit. Her parents and...
1.2k views

@Rocuro · Feb 3, 2009

I am trying to figure out how to convert a small current, say a 1 amp 6v battery, into 6v ac power. I have a bizarre lamp that runs off...
1.4k views