DIY steel silver alloy

Hello everyone,

I want to alloys steel with silver or gold or platina. How can I do this?
I read in a book that by making a battery using a silver electrode and a steel electrode the result would be a silver steel molecule wich would settle at the bottom of the battery as sludge after each time the battery is recharged. Is this right? What happens in a steel silver battery if it is recharged, is there a steel silver molecule as a result?

If I wanted to melt the two metals together using a 7kw induction heater how would I go about to blend these two metals? Would I use a flux? what crucible would be resistant to the alloy and flux? How do I make them homogenous? How do I go about the whole procedure from start to finnish?

Mr Alloyau

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is no such thing as a silver steel molecule. Steel is not an element.
    Are you considering an iron - silver battery? If so, the two metals have to be kept separate, silver as anode and iron as cathode.
    There is a very real possibility of the world being out of silver as early as 2020 AD. May be better to avoid any development using silver.

Silver-iron battery - Westinghouse Elec. Corp.
  • Alloyau
    Alloyau
    Thank you for answering,

Yes,
    I am aware that alloys are not molecules. However I want to alloy steel/iron and silver in a homogenous form. When I blend them it is like blending water and oil, they seperate. How do I go about making a uniform steel-silver alloy? Or steel-gold alloy?

I can use borax from what I´ve understood to make the mixture homogenous right? Can I do this with out using borax?

The equiment I have available is a 7kw induction heater and Zircon-Mullite crucibles, 15mm in diameter and 20mm tall. How do I do this? Do I melt the metals seperately or together? How do I find out the ratio of each metal in weight to make them as uniform as possible? etc. for every Silver atom how many iron/steel atoms?

Does anyone know what is exactly happening inside a silver-iron battery? If I open such a battery there is a paste on the bottom that has gathered from discharging and charging the battery over time. WHAT is that paste? Is it not a silver-iron alloy?

If I wanted to make my own silver-iron battery, is this procedure correct?

1. 4 sheets of Silver for the positive side,
    2. 5 sheets of Iron for the negative using lead terminals for each side.
    3. Assembly as standard battery form.
    4. Electrolyte from distilled water and Sodium Cyanide, compounded to a density to provide a circuit of conductivity of two and a half volts resistance.

I found this in a book, why does the author use the word compund molecules?
    "When uniting the Silver and Iron into compound molecules, each molecule is no doubt composed
    of one silver atom and two or more Iron atoms."

Anyone?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    If this is your reference I am afraid you may be in for a disappointment. I do not think that the electrochemistry part is correct.
  • Tammy1949
    Tammy1949
    If this is your reference I am afraid you may be in for a disappointment. I do not think that the electrochemistry part is correct.
  • Alloyau
    Alloyau
    Hello,
    Thank you for the answer, but it would help more if you could precisely point out where exactly the pdf. file electrinium is wrong? Please use facts only, opinions are for no use. However I am more interested in answers to my previous questions, I am less interested wether it works or not.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to make single silver-iron molecule/alloy?
    2. How do I go about it? step by step blending silver and iron into a uniform homogenous mixture. What crucibles to use? borax or no borax? etc.

I am not interested in oinions. I wellcome all facts and good ideas. Leave out your opions for the sake of space, time and energy.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Alloyau
    Questions:

1. Is it possible to make single silver-iron molecule/alloy?
    2. How do I go about it? step by step blending silver and iron into a uniform homogenous mixture. What crucibles to use? borax or no borax? etc.
    I am not interested in oinions. I wellcome all facts and good ideas. Leave out your opions for the sake of space, time and energy.
    Since opinions are unwelcome , my answer to both questions is : I do not know.
  • Alloyau
    Alloyau
    Great, now we are getting somewhere. 😀
    If you feel like embarking on an exciting journey you are wellcome to help. lets us first melt silver and steel into a polar alloy. If you read the pdf. a few times it will all come together for you. Personally I see no false reasoning in it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The contribution of engineers to the profitability of a firm need to be emphasised. Engineering’s Contribution to the Profit Equation | Shipulski On Design Shipulski on Design: Engineering
COMSOL Conference 2011 - Banglore Click Here for More information.
CEans, Google and Samsung have unveiled the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone which runs latest Android 4.0 called Ice Creme Sandwich. The latest android ships with a cool new font called...
Android, no matter how awesome the mobile operating system is; has had a nasty problem- it was very heavy on the battery. Even the phone with the best hardware- Samsung...
How to design water tank using limit state method??