DIY - How to make a potentiometer?

Hi,

I'm trying to set an apparatus or rather a tool, to measure the Diameter of a tube, pipe, etc.

Iinitially I just want to check the dia OD with this tool. In the later part, I want to check for eccentricity, thickness and ID of the tube as well. But for now, the OD is more than sufficient.

I was thinking of a small hand-held or fixture of a small wire, that can be looped around the tube, and pulled back through a small cylinder, to cover the tube completely.

The wire would form a basic potentiometer, and give the analog value of the tube dia.

My question is - how to build such an equipment, and what all parts would I need?

how complicated would this be? Can anyone please help? Its a simple mecha-electronics apparatus.

Maximum diameter of tube - 12 mm
Minimum diameter of tube - 2 mm
(different sizes)

Replies

• Munguti
    Munguti
    Maybe you could use the wire to be one of the resistors in a wheatstone bridge. This would detect the change of its resistance which will be proportional to its lenght. This should give its diameter (from its cicumfrence ofcourse).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I bought the Monk's Ferrari is a book written by 1993 IIM - Bangalore pass Mr. Ravi Subramanian. This is a nice self help book which wakes up our dreams...
Inbapuvi Many Many Happy returns of the day ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Wish you a wonderful year ahead ๐Ÿ˜€
hey @ first, I just found this forum via google, got me AGAIN somhing witch i didnt wan ๐Ÿ˜ก. So i hoped I may ask... I 1st semester in IT...
HEy there! I am Saira and currently doing COmputer Engineering from NUST. just ended my 6th semester! Right now doing internship! i joined this forum because whenever i googled any...
This is a video of an amazing slot mortising machine that is made mostly from wood. YouTube - Multi slot mortising machine