Disable Chat In Gmail Quickly With "Chat Off" Setting

Google set benchmark for other email service providers by including Gtalk chat feature in Gmail several years ago. It took long time for other popular service providers like Yahoo to duplicate the feature in their service. However, there are several people who like to use Gmail only for what it's meant for - email; and not for chatting with online buddies. Gmail silently introduced a feature to completely turn off the chat from Gmail with a simple setting. You will no longer have to be invisible or 'offline' to prevent your enthusiastic buddies from pinging you.

In order to turn off chat; head over to Gmail Settings page and then click the 'Chat' tab. Select the 'Chat Off' setting and do not forget to save the options. The chat feature will be immediately disabled from your Gmail. You can now concentrate on important emails without getting distracted.

The setting is available in Google Apps account as well. The procedure to disable chat in Google Apps mail account is the same as above. It seems that the feature has been very recently added to Gmail. Are there any CEans who'd disable the chat feature? Or do you think it's one of the important features that gives Gmail a lead among its competitors?

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I feel the feature does not serve its purpose well. If one has to deal with important mails, they will anyhow. And one must deal with the distractions, cutting them out is not a healthy option.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    And one must deal with the distractions, cutting them out is not a healthy option.
    Didn't get that. Why is cutting distractions not a healthy option? Looks like we're getting away from the topic. πŸ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Looks like we're getting away from the topic. πŸ˜€
    Yes, I agree. Sorry.πŸ˜€

My point was that we must just be focused on our work, and not get distracted by our distractions.
    Not healthy because the more I try to avoid and keep away from distractions, the more I would be attracted towards them, and would not really do much productive work. So, I let my distractions be around me, whilst I keep my focus on my work. πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A king wants his daughter to marry the smartest of 3 extremely intelligent young princes, and so the king's wise men devised an intelligence test. The princes are gathered into...
One day three Greek philosophers settled under the shade of an olive tree, opened a bottle of Retsina, and began a lengthy discussion of the Fundamental Ontological Question: Why does...
A team formed by scientists from all around the world demonstrated the 186 Gbps internet speed over standard commercial fiber optic cable. It means, we are going to get an...
NASA is trying to get harpooons in to space. Not for landing but for some other purpose. Guess what it is... else read this πŸ‘ NASA To Launch Harpoons For...
Ford has brought Christmas gifts for everyone. It is the ever efficient vehicles getting even more upgraded. Check out latest happenings. Ford’s New Year Gifts – C-Max Hybrids And Ever...