Differential of Hummer

Guys, what's so special about Differential of Hummer?
I heard that it locks when it gets into mud. but want a detailed information about it. can anyone provide it?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    The differential actually used is the "anti-slip differential". its speciality is to move smoothly on uneven surfaces(roads)

now consider this situation:

one of the wheels in the rear wheels gets stuck in a pothole. but the other wheel somehow happens to be not in contact with the ground.

with the ordinary differential, the stuck wheel does not get any power from the engine, while the free wheel (which is not in contact with the ground) gets all the power and rotates.

but that does not help to propel the vehicle forward because , the rotating wheel is not in contact with the ground.

the anti-slip differential makes use of a cam-mechanism to overcome this.

but somehow a four-wheel drive would be more feasible.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    I think anti slip differential is available in mahindra jeep also.It uses a driver operated dogclutch to lock the differential.Once the differential is locked the drive from engine is transmitted evenly to both wheels.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Modern SUVs uses traction control systems to sense which wheel gets the maximum traction, and automatically gives more torque to that wheel.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why do we use diesel externally in a compression engine unlike fuel air mixture in petrol engine??
nothing about me....!!!!!!!!
i want to be a skilled electronics engineer....! i wish dis group will help me in dis respect....!!
Do anyone of you have DSP by PROAKIS - PDF file.... If so please do post guys....
Why is power measured in decibels in Rf and Microwave communication and not in terms of Kwh or watt....??? please do give your reasons friends....😕