Different types of database languages

A database system provides two different types of languages: One to specify the database schema and other to express database queries and updates.

Data-definition Languages(DDL): A database schema is specified by a set of definitions expressed by a special language (DDL). The result of compilation of DDL statements is a set of tables that is stored in a special file called data dictionary or data directory.

A data dictionary is a file that contains metadata, that is data about data. This file is consulted before actual data are read or modified in the database system.
The storage structure and access methods used by the database system are specified by a set of definitions in a special type of DDL called as data storage and definition language. The result of compilation of these definitions is a set of instruction to specify the implementation details of the database schemas-Details are usually hidden from the user. Create table command is used for creation of the table. Suppose we wish to create table account having columns account_no, branch, and amount, then we have to write the following query;
create table account
(account_no number,
branch varchar2(50),
account number);
In this example, table account is created on which various modification operations can be performed.

Data manipulation language (DML): By data manipulation, we mean
1.The retrieval of information stored in the database
2.The insertion of new information into the database
3.Deletion of information from the database.
4.The modification of information stored in the database.
At the physical level, we must define algorithms that allow efficient access to data. At higher levels of abstraction, we emphasize ease of use. The goal is to provideefficient human interaction system.
A data manipulation language (DML) is a language that enables users to access or manipulate data organised by the appropriate data model. There are basically two types:

a) Procedural DMLs requires a user to specify what data are needed and how to get those data.

b)Non procedural DMLs Require a user to specify what data are needed without specifying how to get those data.

Non procedural DMLs are usually easier to learn and use than are procedural DMls. However since a user does not have to specify, how to get those data, these languages may generate code that may not be as that efficient as that produced by procedural languages.

For example: The simplest insert statement is a request to insert one tuple.
Suppose that we wish to insert the fact that there is an account A-9732 at a perryridge branch and that it has a balance of $1200. The query is

insert into account
values("A-9732", "Perryridge", 1200)
In this example, the values are specified in the order in which the corresponding attributes are listed in the relation schema.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Dashanan: Thank you for sharing this information.
    You should mention the source of this article as a link to the original material.
  • Dashaanan
    Dashaanan
    Are you kidding? This is a common knowledge, man! Don't you know?

One more meaning we can take out from it "Are you saying that it is Okay to copy paste provided we mention source?"

For those who still care for origin, they may first solve these assignments by Amita.

#-Link-Snipped-#. This is very easy. Let us see if there will be people attempting these.

At IIT we give Questions first and never give answers. These are simple, solve them. This is the way you learn.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes sir,
    We do not question your knowledge. But still if we are taking something out of other resources, we should mention the source. By the way I can see that it is not copy pasted.

I also think that there will be people who can solve these.

Hope to see active on forum.
    With regards,
    Ishan Topre. ๐Ÿ˜€

P.S: Keep up the good work sir.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    AbraKaDabra
    @Dashanan: Thank you for sharing this information.
    You should mention the source of this article as a link to the original material.
    Don't you think that are you are directly calling him as a copy cat(sorry for word ,but i don't find any other word to use) May be he write the whole article on his own

anyway nice article buddy ,bring in more ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good Start Dashaanan,

Keep it Up good job.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    goyal420
    Don't you think that are you are directly calling him as a copy cat(sorry for word ,but i don't find any other word to use) May be he write the whole article on his own

anyway nice article buddy ,bring in more ๐Ÿ˜€
    I can myself point out the resources for this article. But let it be ๐Ÿ˜€ At least he has contributed some value to the forum.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I do not know much but I am trying to get something out of every branch mostly computer because now I have no one to turn too. So I want to encourage Dashaanan Sir, to contribute more. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Dashaanan
    Dashaanan
    Son, in last 25 years no one has called me a copy cat. I just saw a mail relating to that. Try contacting that author and ask who Dashaanan is. Besides I will de-register soon as and when I will find time.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forum flames are seriously discouraged. Locking the thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Networked and Cooperating Robots for Urban Hygiene. Collection of videos taken during the demonstration in Pontedera, Peccioli e Massa. Dustbot is an Italian mobile robot which picks up trash at...
I'm quite sure many engineers reading this love to play Guitar and I'm interested trying out new patches on my DigiTech RP 355. If you've any custom patches or popular...
Vision Robotics Corporation says: "This prototype is the culmination of phase one of our development of a fully autonomous, robotic grape-vine pruner. This video summarizes our vision based mapping and...
Europe's SARTRE (SAfe Road TRains for the Environment) project is well underway, having carried out its first successful demonstration of its self-driving technology at Volvo's proving grounds near Gothenburg, Sweden....
My self Dashaanan, A professor from IIT Bombay. Eventually I Heard from a friend of mine on Facebook ( Favorite pass time of young and adults nowadays) That This is...