Different kind of inactivity

This is a feedback. I have seen some members, who are not inactive. They log in almost everyday. But, they are active only in the CE-Conference where they chat or they just come here to leave visitor message to their friends, like scraps in Orkut. With post ratio ranging from 0.5 to 0.02 per day, I wonder in which category should I put these so called active members. I have tried to remind them in a friendly way to discuss things in the forum too, but my pleas seem to fall on deaf ears.

Do we need such members who are nothing but leechers and refuse to share ideas or their experience?(I say this because some of them are working for good companies and can help in many discussions even if they don't want to discuss about their work.)
What can be done so that they become active in the forum too?
I request our "active members" to give some suggestions.

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Hmm, that is a tough one Patty, I would think go easy, maybe do nothing but incourage them to participate or have a survey on what features would make them more active? maybe some small changes or additions/features would encourage them to become more active? I would be affraid being "tough" on casual folks will only create a negative vibe about the site which will detract from new members joining. They must still be coming here for a reason as although a great feature, there are lots of high quality stand alone chat groups/programs they could use if chat was the ONLY thing they are after.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I agree with Gohm.

The toughest part of running a community is making it active - and that's a problem faced by almost every community on the Internet. The conference is meant for casual discussions and there is no restriction on how members use it.

The point your raised is right. The only way, as I figure it, is to have more number new threads coming up every day; that would attract lot of members and make them active.

I have few ideas to make CE more active. I'm sharing them in another thread.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The last time one of our moderators reminded such an "active" member about his post count, he came up with excuses of work pressure and not getting enough time. He further added that he is only able to log in 3 or 4 times a week on CE and whenever he does, chatting with his friends on CE-Conference takes up most of the time and therefore is inactive on the forum. Another said that there are no threads related to field, so he has nothing to post.
    This is the inactivity I am talking about.
    On the other hand, there were few threads for Java. Shalini took the initiative and started a thread to teach Java. Durga started threads to teach English. There are many others.
    But unfortunately a larger percentage of members come under the former category.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's a positive side to it too. The conference attracts members to login to CE. That improves chances of them spotting new threads and posting.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    raj87verma88
    They log in almost everyday. But, they are active only in the CE-Conference where they chat or they just come here to leave visitor message to their friends, like scraps in Orkut.
    I think reason for this is people here are not much aware of its so complicated made functionalities. They think it just like their yahoo mail or orkut account. Solution for this can be a quick work on documentation project. By the time it is not done I will try to start a thread to tell them how to use this forum.

2. Raj, don't expect newbies who are just first sem(or year) students and who have joined here just because someone told them to join it. Such people need some time to adapt to such forums who is going to help them in their future lot right. Let them be the way they feel comfortable. Once they will get warm welcome from regular CEans here. They will keep on putting their opinions and ideas also here.After all it is a forum,not everyone gets open to it in the starting only. They are bit afraid of speaking. So we need to be try to be soft to them so that they can feel good here. Right?

3. Fo leechers, I think guest logins should be completely closed. It is of no use to allow people use ideas given here without giving any contribution here. Right?

4. One more thing lot depends on regular members also. They should try to start such threads where they can attract more and more members. For this quite good observation is required.Like in what kind of threads people like to posts. What are their interests?What kind of help actually they need? and etc...

Let them do where they feel comforatable. Try to be just friendly to them and know about them and tell them to share or post on forums.It all takes some time but showing frustratin and anger will only increase the chances of making the situation worse .πŸ˜€

Are you agreed or want to debate?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shalini_goel14
    2. Raj, don't expect newbies who are just first sem(or year) students and who have joined here just because someone told them to join it. Such people need some time to adapt to such forums who is going to help them in their future lot right. Let them be the way they feel comfortable. Once they will get warm welcome from regular CEans here. They will keep on putting their opinions and ideas also here.After all it is a forum,not everyone gets open to it in the starting only. They are bit afraid of speaking. So we need to be try to be soft to them so that they can feel good here. Right?
    I am not talking about newbies here. I am talking about people who have been members since the past 2-3 months and earlier. Many know what a forum is and how it works. They just have excuses for not posting. They say they don't get time to log in. How do they take out time to leave visitor messages and spend time in the chat room?
    And I won't buy your point about giving a warm welcome. You can not get a warmer welcome. People do not even care to welcome newbies in other forums. The only thing that is left for us to do is, laying out the red carpet and garlanding the newbies when they arrive.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    It depends on you raj, if you don't want to do like that and just want to be like other forums people. Do whatever you want, I will not say anything. Its your will and your life and make this forum also like other forums but I will only do what I feel appropriate. OK

And I call those people as newbies until they do something good and make a good no of posts here.For me everyone who has recently joined is not a newbie.ok

And coming to people telling they don't have time. Reason what I feel and have observed after talking to people here is they are just students, they don't have enough money or liberty to use internet facilties for long time. Everyone is not enough rich like us right?Thats why they say they don't have time(which is restricted to only 1/2 an hour or maximum 1 hr) instead of saying they don't have enough rights.

Anyways do whatever you peope like. It is useless telling anything to you guys.Your life ..do whatever you want to do.Why should I care but 1 thing is sure one day people like me will also give up and start thinking the way you guys think and then I can imagine what will be the condition of this forum.

Just to make things better I thought that way.ok
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Thank you for reminding me that I have never done any useful thing here or done any good for the forum. I appreciate your honesty. I will try to change myself.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    raj87verma88
    Thank you for reminding me that I have never done any useful thing here or done any good for the forum. I appreciate your honesty. I will try to change myself.
    Oh my God, Please don't take me in wrong sense. This forum is everything just because of brainy people like you only. I have not pointed you out in any case. Please SORRY. πŸ˜”
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    No need to apologize. I only thanked you and said I will change myself and my way of working. I am not mad or angry at you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. First of all, any comment made on CE should not be taken personally by any member. We all come here not because someone tells us, we do it because we love to visit CE.

If people find the functionality of forums difficult; I don't know what could be a simpler solution. As a matter of fact, we follow a very standardized forum system that powers millions of forums around the world.

If you ask me, if engineers can't figure out how to use this simple forum; it makes no sense to call them 'engineers'. Everything here is pretty self explanatory. But members should be willing to use their own brains.

Secondly; I've started a new thread that describes what regular members can do to make CE more active. Do have a look at it.

Thirdly, those of you who recently joined it's obvious to expect lot of activity on forums. Ask me, I already see lot of activity here. There have been days when there won't be single post for two days. We are a young forum and it's entirely in our hands how to grow this forum and extend our reach online and offline.

In the end, we all are here to do a great job and having fun. I personally give lot of importance to having fun in whatever we do. If the fun is missing; there's no point in doing anything.

Don't stop having fun here on CE. Don't stop learning new things πŸ˜€ . We all have a very long way to go!
  • gohm
    gohm
    I agree, the forum layout is like most others so I do not think that is an issue to anyone who regularly uses the net. There also is a site suggestion area where hopefully people looking for something not currently here will speak up with ideas and suggestions on how we can better retain active involvement on the site. Silence is still silence to the accutest ears. Also, we must remember to not get to overly excited, it takes time like Biggie said. There has been a lot of growth since I've been here, it will continue to grow and change/improve to meet the needs of members and yes, there will be growing pains along the way.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    πŸ˜€

Most of you aren't aware of what efforts are going on to make this forum active. Mostly because I haven't shared them with anyone. I've been writing to colleges and universities and also to most of the famous engineering institutions about us. The latest plan is to get the deans/professors of engineering schools in our Small Talk so that their students start participating.

I've also been exploring opportunities to get engineers and engineering students from countries like Germany, Canada, Australia, Europe to participate more on CE. CE has already approached lot of conference organizers so that engineers from these countries know about us.

In the end, have patience. It takes time to build a community and we aren't doing bad job at all. Online activity is one thing; offline activity is also something we all need to work on.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    I confronted a member yesterday in the CE conference. I was checking what he does every day and found out he was interested only in shout box and leaving visitor messages. In return he swore on me, hurled abuses and vowed not to return. πŸ˜› I was speechless.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    mayurpathak
    I confronted a member yesterday in the CE conference. I was checking what he does every day and found out he was interested only in shout box and leaving visitor messages. In return he swore on me, hurled abuses and vowed not to return. πŸ˜› I was speechless.
    One good thing about him was he was coming atleast everydayπŸ˜›. Many don't even can come daily.πŸ˜‰. May be someday he could make some good posts also.πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Who are you all talking about? May I know? I checked archives but couldn't find anything.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Who are you all talking about? May I know? I checked archives but couldn't find anything.
    Well I don't know about whom Mayur Sir is talking about but one thing he mentioned was everyday. So I said "atleast he comes everyday" πŸ˜‰

PS:Even I don't know who is he but I can make a guess, is he Mr Jay?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    shalini_goel14
    One good thing about him was he was coming atleast everydayπŸ˜›. Many don't even can come daily.πŸ˜‰. May be someday he could make some good posts also.πŸ˜‰
    oops! I didn't mean to hurt him. I just wanted to remind him that this is 'an engineering forum' and not a Yahoo chat room πŸ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I know. I have also reminded this thing to Jay thrice till now. Each time he only gives new excuses and links to sites where he is supposedly active.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    mayurpathak
    oops! I didn't mean to hurt him. I just wanted to remind him that this is 'an engineering forum' and not a Yahoo chat room πŸ˜€
    Well I don't think he abuses anyone here but I think may be he need to be told few rules here. Thats it. In my opinion he is a good person. Will he be no more active here? πŸ˜”
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Emotional crossfires and sarcasm aside, lets try to figure out why CrazyEngineers exists:

1. To unite engineers around the world.
    2. Be a repository for knowledge and ideas.
    3. Utilize the conglomeration of different minds to create unique solutions.

I believe that if a CEan understands these key points when joining, they'll automatically be more active. We all know that we cannot force activity without a basis. In addition, creating activity for the sake of racking up posts is merely a short term solution πŸ˜‰
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    ash
    We all know that we cannot force activity without a basis. In addition, creating activity for the sake of racking up posts is merely a short term solution πŸ˜‰
    You are dead right! I couldn't agree any lesser. Let us concentrate on right people and right content. The blokes will come and go, but only the wise will be helpful.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Ash: Perfect!

I'd say "CrazyEngineers exists to make the place a better world" - that's our vision. We've started with online community and extend our reach offline πŸ˜€ as time progresses.

Don't bother about inactivity guys. There are high and low times. May our plane is yet to take off; but we are doing a great job while still on the runway 😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The number of members are around 34K and posts around 43K i think this dont sound any good..
    Want many initiatives which make people sit here rather just they visit.
    Which makes our forum an interesting forum 😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Everyone, look here -

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    English-Scared, do you have any specific ideas? If so, please share!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    gohm
    English-Scared, do you have any specific ideas? If so, please share!

Gohm , i looked it late!!
    To improve the activity here let me make some assumptions πŸ˜‰
    We have people all around the world in CE , but mostly the people are from India.
    So if we can concentrate on Engineering based exams that are conducted in India to provide tips to answer questions it would be great !!!
    now the latest one is JTO (Junior Telecom Officer ) i hope few people may attend it and it will be useful for the upcoming students who will be writing the exam next year and further. ( i am not writing it thoughπŸ˜‰)
    ANd i have started few threads for CAT exam even though there is no activity there i hope the activity increases as time progresses

Ceans from US /UK /Australia : you people can start threads about the education system in your respective places such that people may ask many queries for education and Job there.

if anything sounds bad post here will check and will come up with some other innovative ideas.

cheers!!😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We'd have improved activity and better quality of discussions only when we reach students and professionals in countries where engineering is more advanced. I'm trying my best to contact universities and college deans to tell them about CE and how it can be useful to them.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    We'd have improved activity and better quality of discussions only when we reach students and professionals in countries where engineering is more advanced. I'm trying my best to contact universities and college deans to tell them about CE and how it can be useful to them.

I Agree with it but we have the many people from India where Engineering is not advanced much so if we can come from basics and firstly do the needy things that will work for their betterment and then we can advance together.
    😎😎
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, yea.. CrazyEngineers could very well prove to be a revolution to change the mindsets of young engineers to be more critical and creative in their thinking πŸ˜‰ Pitch that up to colleges!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    yes ash,
    but people in colleges are mostly used to free lunches everytime we need to change the thinking of those people.
    😎
  • kavi
    kavi
    The point your raised is right. The only way, as I figure it, is to have more number new threads coming up every day; that would attract lot of members and make them active.additions/features would encourage them to become more active? I would be affraid being "tough" on casual folks will only create a negative vibe about the site which will detract from new members joining. They must still be coming here for a reason as although a great feature, there are lots of high quality stand alone chat groups/programs they could use if chat was the ONLY thing they are after.

• Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    Hmm, lol just received a message myself encouraging my activity on CE. I find it quite sweet, I don't think however that some would find it as encouraging rather harranguing. The point of a forum is so people wish to spend their free time here. It's asking a lot for someone to give their time to us, newbs or oldies alike. We just need to be patient, I think CE and it's members are outstanding and speak for themselves but sometimes you need to speak up for it. I don't know what the balance is, and keeping a forum's momentum going is hard, I should know as I had been working on one a very long time ago. It's success or failures are purely down to it's members, and I hope that CE lives and breathes amongst us forever and in order for that to happen you need active members.

Aside from stating the obvious, I will endeavour to follow your tips Big_K. I hope that we can all contribute to making CE a success (which I think it already is) and maintaining it's success.

Look forward to see everyone posting 😁
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    even if we suggest new ideas for projects and all or even for trying it out on practical basis they say you need not worry about that because you dont have that in syllabus
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    livewire09
    Yes it is always nice to exchange ideas and learn from it.make it a healthy and informative place to be ...

#-Link-Snipped-#

@ Livewire09 - Please refrain from using advertisements links in your signature.

:evil:
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    if people advertise more we get irritated and the activity will come down.. so stop advertising please...:evil::evil:
  • fake_lover01
    fake_lover01
    We have start some competition to Bring more user here.
    what are your opinion

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello all, I am a telecommunication engineer from karachi...... I am done with my bachelors last month...... Now I want to further continue my studies... but m in dilemma.... I...
There are 2 separated rooms, one having 8 bulbs and the other having 8 switches. You have to find out which switch is of which bulb, in minimum possible steps....
πŸ˜‰ Hi friends, Need to build a reliable DC to AC Inverter for a solar parking light application. A common DC/AC inverter could be puchased quite cheaply, however as solar...
can anyone pls suggest me a topic for paper presentation on electronics and its applications in latest technologies???πŸ˜’πŸ˜•
Hi CEns, "Opensource and OpenSys.," I want to know about the differences between the open source and open systems...I am going to present a seminar in this topic...Please ask your...