Difference in working of a self locking and slip type differentials?

what is difference in working of a self locking and slip type differentials..?

Replies

• nick_cardoza
    nick_cardoza
    Re: differential

slip type (lsd or limited slip differentials) come in two types.. disc and clutch based and gear based. disk type use clutches, disks, and springs in the ring carrier to put even power to both wheels. as it "feels" one side slip it mellows out power to the slipping wheel and applies more to the still stuck wheel. once they both break loose then it goes back to even power to both wheels.

a true locking differential such as a arb air lock, detroit locker, or eaton locker is same amount of power to both wheels at all times no matter what. if you invest in a good self locking locker like a detroit, it will actually have a ratcheting system inside that will disengage the locker when going through a turn (if you know how to drive with the locker) so that you dont break the inside tire loose since it is following a smaller arch than the outside tire. once you straighten back out it goes back into fully locked mode.

a spool is a carrier that you bolt your ring gear to that replaces your stock carrier and spider gear assembly and is literally nothing more than a splined tube and ring carrier. there is no way for this type of carrier to "unlock" during turns and results in the inside tire chirping as it tries to keep up with the outside tire through its arch. using this type of carrier on a street driven car is a bad idea as it will quickly wear out your tires and actually rip chunks of rubber out. spools are mainly used in off road vehicles such as desert race trucks and many drag cars.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hay friends this thread is to express your thoughts on what you don't like in your surroundings. hope this will HELP in improving our society ans many more. i am...
what is the static and dynamic balancing of front and rear wheels..?
1.theory of machines 2.production 3.strength of materials
trying to understand VHDL programs ..please help i am a 3rd year student of ece dept...i m doing a project on this topic.....i am seeking someone's help to understand the...
Hi guys, i have a platform a distance above another one.. the upper platform is on wheels which are in contact with ground and i supporting all the weight. the...