Difference between WATT & VA

Whats meaning of VA & watt??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mayurpawar85
    Whats meaning of VA & watt??
    Could you share the meaning that you've understood by referring to textbooks? I think you can get a basic idea about what VA and WATT are by referring basic electrical engineering textbook. It'd be really great if you could share what you've understood so that we can help you make your ideas clearer. I think would be a better way of learning, what do you say?
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    here is the white paper which will clears the basic confusion k...
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    VA (volt-amps) is used on AC equipment that is reactive - like transformers - to show the maximum load on the utility line.

This is done because reactive loads can have current flowing in and out of them - apparent power - but not necessarily use any real power. Nevertheless, the feed has to be sized to the apparent power.

VA and watts are related by the power factor. PF = W/VA

If I and V are perfectly in phase (as for a non-reactive load), the power factor is 1. If I is out of phase with V, then PF becomes less than 1: more apparent power than actual. Link below explains this further.

Small appliances tend to have little reactive behavior so they're simply rated in watts.
    you can look after in below site also..
    Power Factor
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Watt is the actual power which is consumed by the device

The VA rating is the power which is not consumed by the device but it is linked with the device just as #-Link-Snipped-# said about transformers
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    arunchary
    VA (volt-amps) is used on AC equipment that is reactive - like transformers - to show the maximum load on the utility line.

This is done because reactive loads can have current flowing in and out of them - apparent power - but not necessarily use any real power. Nevertheless, the feed has to be sized to the apparent power.

VA and watts are related by the power factor. PF = W/VA

If I and V are perfectly in phase (as for a non-reactive load), the power factor is 1. If I is out of phase with V, then PF becomes less than 1: more apparent power than actual. Link below explains this further.

Small appliances tend to have little reactive behavior so they're simply rated in watts.
    you can look after in below site also..
    Power Factor

Are sure VA is for power rating of reactive device ?
    Because VAR (Volts ampere reaction) is the specific unit for reactive power.
    VA for active power and WATT is for apparent power.
  • naveee
    naveee
    The_Big_K
    Could you share the meaning that you've understood by referring to textbooks? I think you can get a basic idea about what VA and WATT are by referring basic electrical engineering textbook. It'd be really great if you could share what you've understood so that we can help you make your ideas clearer. I think would be a better way of learning, what do you say?
    sir i hav a doubt in that...in volt ampere we use sine angle (durin calculation)......... but for power factor we use cosine angle .....wat is the difference sir ????
  • naveee
    naveee
    grsalvi
    Are sure VA is for power rating of reactive device ?
    Because VAR (Volts ampere reaction) is the specific unit for reactive power.
    VA for active power and WATT is for apparent power.
    reacting device.......can u plz elaborate it ....
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    reacting device.......can u plz elaborate it ....
    Any device having a Capacitor and Inductor will react to the input alternating current and voltage given to the system and so these devices are called reactive devices
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    go through pdf which i given as a reference.....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How many of you are in the process control applications? How many problems which are related to computers have affected your plant working? There are some things in software and...
I am getting an error in using some applications on my pc and also I am unable to install new programs on my computer. I am getting the following error....
Online finance management company - Quickbooks (from Intuit) has finally opened its shop in India. The company says that there are 26 million SMEs in India; however when it comes...
I want to scan my whole PC to improve my PC performance. I am using avast 4.8 anti virus this time. Please anyone guide my way? Also what is the...
I'm a final year M.Sc Software Engineering student. Can anyone suggest me that companies providing internship final year projects?