Difference Between Transistor and Op-Amp?

Difference Between Transistor and Op-Amp?

In this article, we’ll explore the differences between transistor and an op-amp - two important components of the digital circuits.

TLDR; transistors are basic electronic switches that control current while operational amplifiers (op-amps) are high-gain electronic devices that perform mathematical calculations.

Both these components are fundamental in building complex electronic circuits. Let’s now take a deeper dive.

Transistors

Transistors are semiconductor devices that can amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power. They are one of the basic building blocks of modern electronic devices and form the foundation of most of the digital circuits. Transistors come in two main types: bipolar junction transistors (BJT) and field-effect transistors (FET). Both types have three layers and three terminals but operate on different principles.

A transistor's core function is to use a small current to control a large current. In other words, they work like a valve, controlling the amount of current passing through from the collector to the emitter. This property makes transistors ideal for amplification and switching applications.

Amplification occurs when a small input signal, applied at the base (for BJT) or gate (for FET), controls a larger current flow from the collector to the emitter (source to drain for FET). On the other hand, switching is when the transistor is used to turn current flow on and off, acting like an electronic switch.

Operational Amplifiers (Op-Amps)

Op-amps are integrated circuits that are designed to process analog signals. They are called operational amplifiers because they were initially used in mathematical operations in analog computers. Today, they're found in a vast range of electronics applications due to their versatility.

An op-amp has two inputs and one output. The two inputs are labeled as the "non-inverting" (usually marked with a '+') and "inverting" (marked with a '-') input. The output is a signal that is an amplified version of the difference between the two inputs.

Op-amps are often used in circuits for a wide range of mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, integration, differentiation, and more complex functions. They can also be configured in several ways for amplification, such as inverting amplifier, non-inverting amplifier, voltage follower, etc.

Unlike transistors, which can operate independently, op-amps usually require a power supply and are implemented as part of a larger circuit to fulfill their function.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further help.

Replies

• just2rock
    just2rock
    transistor is a Semiconductor Device used to Electronic Amplifier or switch Electronics signals. The transistor is the fundamental building block of Computer, other modern Electronic Device. Some transistors are packaged individually but most are found in Integrated Circuit.

operational amplifier, or op-amp , is a Direct current - Wikipedia-Direct Coupling high-Gain electronic voltage Electronic Amplifier with differential inputs and, usually, a single output. Typically the output of op-am is controlled ethr by Negative Feedback, which largely determines the magnitude of its o/p voltage gain, or by Positive Feedback, which facilitates regenerative gain and oscillation.
  • manivannan.mv
    manivannan.mv
    what do you eant by gain in op-amp?
  • manivannan.mv
    manivannan.mv
    what do you meant by gain in op-amp?
  • Dexter_Neo
    Dexter_Neo
    gain is Amplitude gain.it could be open loop and it could be closed loop also.

basic difference between Transistor and opamp is that an OpAmp is not a differential amplifeir where as a tranisistor is not.

And yess transistors are basic unit's in OPAMp's architecture.
  • Dexter_Neo
    Dexter_Neo
    do u know the most imp thing is that the transistors are small signal amplifeirs where as opamp are small,medium,large signal amplifeirs.
  • prestonee
    prestonee
    A key note: Op amps are made from transistors.

BJT transistors are the most commonly used due to lower inherent noise levels than a MOSFET

MOSFET transistors are also used in opamps, primarily custom chips using digital and analog since CMOS process is cheaper than a bicmos process. Also a mosfet has lower gate leakge current then a BJT so low power Op amps use Mosfets

JFET transitors are fairly rare in Op amps but do show up in very low noise Op amps at least in the input stage due to their very low noise characteristics.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hit the besics of electronic you will get ur ans mate!!,have a nice day
  • Arp
    Arp
    BJT used as differential amplifier is heart of operational amplifier..
    opamp is a linear device provided with gain by using an another bjt configuration to provide enough gain as required..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm still having some trouble understanding the scale that my encoder uses. The datasheet for the encoder is found at this website: https://test.maxonmotor.com/docsx/Download/catalog_2005/Pdf/05_235_e.pdf The datasheet for the motor I'm using...
Hey guys. I should have asked this WAY earlier, but as a selective few of you know, I am an aspiring electrical engineer. I'm not very knowledgeable yet, and that's...
hey CEans, I've just made this userbar it's one of my fist tries, any ideas for another one are very welcomed & will see if I could design them 😛...
Happy Birthday mouli / paresh . Keep rocking Guys. 😁🎉😁:myparty: -Crazy (Engineers)
Hi, I have Hp 6830 US laptop. In this laptop two left side USB ports are not working for the devices which requires power. Example:- Ports are not working for...